Qn Abt Travel Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

nEkOgOtCh

Aug 5, 2002
Meowyland :)
hipsiong.wordpress.com
Other than the luggage itself, what are the necessary stuff that one needs to bring along if the trip is going to be 14 days long :p

These are what I can think of:
1. Camera body
2. Lenses
- Wide, eg. 19-35mm
- Zoom, eg. 28-200mm
3. Flash
4. Film
- ISO 100/200/400/800/1600 (Which one is best?)
5. Tripod or Monopod?
- eg. Manfrotto 055 (Is it insane? :))
6. Batteries (Thanks Wolfgang)
7. Cable release
8. Lens hood (Thanks darkavgr)
9. Polariser (Thanks darkavgr)

Anything else? :p

You need to ask yourself if this is a dedicated photography trip or not. If yes, then by all means, it wouldn't hurt to bring a little more. Your list seems to have it covered pretty well. I would also advice you to bring a small cleaning kit that inclues some lens tissues and a good blower.

Do some homework and have an idea of what you're going after before you go. That would also help in your decisions. As for films, there are no best and is most certainly up to you yourselves. All I can say is bring extra. Typically, on a trip of this length, I wouldn't bring less than 20 rolls of film.

Originally posted by Bluestrike
Might as well bring a PA to help you carry all those stuff.....
:p

Thats what wives/girlfriends are for ! :devil:

Originally posted by senhwei
A question which I've always wanted to ask - what's the purpose of a lens hood ?

thanks !

senhwei

A lenshood will keep out flare or stray light from hitting the lens to a certain extend. Wide angle lenses are more prone to these problem. Another purpose if to protect the the lens should you drop it accidentally. The hood will take the hit first before the lens(if the impact is not too great).

Depends on where and what sort of trip this is. If you intend to use cable release then a tripod would necessary. Weather is a consideration. Rain cover for camera and lens and torch for dark situations.

Film wise, bring a lot like Kit says, and bring a mixture of slow and fast films. Use the slower, fine grained films for your day shots of scenaries, etc. Use the faster ones in lower light conditions when you don't want or cannot use a tripod.

Regards
CK

Yo man!!...

Don't foget to bring your cleaning kit -
- blower
- swipes
- Cotton buds....
Clean it in the hotel room while watching TV...

....in case the place is sandy.....etc...

regards,
Sulhan

Originally posted by ckiang
Film wise, bring a lot like Kit says, and bring a mixture of slow and fast films. Use the slower, fine grained films for your day shots of scenaries, etc. Use the faster ones in lower light conditions when you don't want or cannot use a tripod.

Regards
CK

The usual question of "how fast is fast and how slow is slow" is surfaced in my mind.

Just got a book from the library that says the recommended stuff in the backpack is ISO100 and a couple of ISO 400. Sufficient?

Slides is saturated enough for scenary shots right? Recommended? :p

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh

The usual question of "how fast is fast and how slow is slow" is surfaced in my mind.

Just got a book from the library that says the recommended stuff in the backpack is ISO100 and a couple of ISO 400. Sufficient?

Slides is saturated enough for scenary shots right? Recommended? :p

If you want to go slides, I recommend Velvia with a good sturdy tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.