Qn about Nikon F mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Going to buy a 2nd hand DSLR, read that it uses lens with Nikon F mount. How do I know that a lens uses this mounting? The reason I ask is that I have a reative who has a manual Nikon SLR and I wanted to borrow some lenses from him.

Good question, this has never crossed my mind, hahah.

But from what I understand the F-mount has been here for a long long time, so I think you can safely use the lenses from your relative.

However, do note that if your relative's lenses are AI lenses, you lose focusing, metering since it's manual lenses.

Also lose the 3D Matrix metering. The 1.5 cropping factor for most nikon F mount DSLR. Implies that the lens focal length is 50% more, eg 50mm becomes 75mm, 35mm becomes 50mm, etc.

Best to test with Nikon D lenses so that all camera features will work.

tommon said:
Also lose the 3D Matrix metering. The 1.5 cropping factor for most nikon F mount DSLR. Implies that the lens focal length is 50% more, eg 50mm becomes 75mm, 35mm becomes 50mm, etc.

Best to test with Nikon D lenses so that all camera features will work.

ermm... sorry to contradict u. but, the crop factor does not magically change ur focal length of ur lens. :rolleyes:

pls read this?
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml

the crop factor only changes ur FOV (field of vision) - ie ur 50mm lens is still 50mm lens in focal length. wat changes is the way the 50mm 'sees' on ur nikon DSLR. with the 1.5x crop factor, ur 50mm 'sees' as 75mm lens. there's a difference in the way a DSLR sees from a SLR simply becos of the different sensor size (CCD vs a mirror).

red_ryder said:
Going to buy a 2nd hand DSLR, read that it uses lens with Nikon F mount. How do I know that a lens uses this mounting? The reason I ask is that I have a reative who has a manual Nikon SLR and I wanted to borrow some lenses from him.

if he use nikon body then of course the lens must be f-mount lens already

Note that although the lens might be an F-mount lens, it might still not necessarily fit your DSLR if the lens is pre-AI. Mounting pre-AI lenses on modern Nikon cameras will damage the camera.....

tommon said:
Also lose the 3D Matrix metering.

Note that majority of the Nikon lenses you find around are F-mount lenses. Third-party lens manufacturers like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc... also have F-mount versions of their lenses for the Nikon bodies. On metering issues, you will lose metering capabilities on the D70 and D100 if you use the manual lenses, AF lenses will meter as normal. Manual lenses will work fine on the D1 and D2 series bodies.

SzennyBoy said:
Note that majority of the Nikon lenses you find around are F-mount lenses. Third-party lens manufacturers like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc... also have F-mount versions of their lenses for the Nikon bodies. On metering issues, you will lose metering capabilities on the D70 and D100 if you use the manual lenses, AF lenses will meter as normal. Manual lenses will work fine on the D1 and D2 series bodies.

IIRC, F5, F6 should meter with the AI lenses too :)

Nikon have very confusing lens mount. Yes the base of the nikon mount design is a nikon F mount, so all the nikon lenes are able to fit on any nikon camera. But there many variation, let count how many. The orginal F, Ai, Ais, AF, D, AFD, AFS, G, DX. These mount variation will affect some function between camera and lens, like some will not have metering or 3D metering, some can't be use on full frame camera at all. I not an expert on the slight different of these mounts but there plently of material on the net. It will take me a long time to list the different may be people like ESPN will do a much better job. :D

singscott said:
Nikon have very confusing lens mount. Yes the base of the nikon mount design is a nikon F mount, so all the nikon lenes are able to fit on any nikon camera. But there many variation, let count how many. The orginal F, Ai, Ais, AF, D, AFD, AFS, G, DX. These mount variation will affect some function between camera and lens, like some will not have metering or 3D metering, some can't be use on full frame camera at all. I not an expert on the slight different of these mounts but there plently of material on the net. It will take me a long time to list the different may be people like ESPN will do a much better job. :D

Actually, that is not true. There is only 1 mount here in discussion: F-mount. The rest are functionalities...

Watcher said:
Actually, that is not true. There is only 1 mount here in discussion: F-mount. The rest are functionalities...

The question was "Going to buy a 2nd hand DSLR, read that it uses lens with Nikon F mount. How do I know that a lens uses this mounting? The reason I ask is that I have a reative who has a manual Nikon SLR and I wanted to borrow some lenses from him."

He going to use manual nikon lenes burrow from his uncle for his second hand nikon DSLR. The question put to me if they going to work fine on each other. So where do I go wrong here? Not Functionalities? Or too edger to prove me wrong? :dunno: :what: :D

there is only one mount for nikon: the f-mount

we dont use the word " mount" to describe functionalities

for example, DX is still taken as being of "f-mount", not of "another nikon mount" ;)

user111 said:
there is only one mount for nikon: the f-mount

we dont use the word " mount" to describe functionalities

for example, DX is still taken as being of "f-mount", not of "another nikon mount" ;)

Ya one mount. F mount with Ai functionalities, F mount with Ais functionalities, F mount with AF functionalities, F mount with D functionalities, F mount with AFD functionalities, F mount with AFS functionalities, F mount with G functionalities, F mount with DX functionalities and counting :D

yup. powderful england ;)

F-Mount is the generalised term for the fit size of most if not all 35 nikkor lens....

they are all F-mount (AF-D /S/G ... AI....AI-P)...all can fit on one another...prob is can use properly only anot...
E.G AF-G lenses may not work on some of the older models...

Status
Not open for further replies.