Qn: 300D Metering Modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlvicTay

May 6, 2004
Hi

300D has only 3 metering modes (Evaluative, Partial and Center-weighted Average). Partial metering can only be used in AEL(*) and Center-weighted Average can only be used in full manual mode.

After reading much about Spot metering, I would like to try on my 300D which i can only use the Partial and Center-weighted Average (which is the closest to Spot) metering. Any work around for this limitation?

Thank you!

"Spot metering"... that's the metering mode I missed so much after migrating from my old G5 :cry:

I guess, there is no work around... :dunno:

Hi Guys,

I still cannot figure out what is the use of so many metering mode.
Care to explain

Blur
Reyonm

ST_sg said:
"Spot metering"... that's the metering mode I missed so much after migrating from my old G5 :cry:

I guess, there is no work around... :dunno:
err...not offence but do you really know where is 18% gray? ( Don't know if it's correct value) I can't tell on a pic with full spectrum of light/colour where to meter off. Maybe because i'm a new bird :)

AlvicTay said:
Hi

300D has only 3 metering modes (Evaluative, Partial and Center-weighted Average). Partial metering can only be used in AEL(*) and Center-weighted Average can only be used in full manual mode.

After reading much about Spot metering, I would like to try on my 300D which i can only use the Partial and Center-weighted Average (which is the closest to Spot) metering. Any work around for this limitation?

Thank you!
only way about it is to get a 1D, 1DS, 1DMkII or change to Nikon counterparts :D
that's the limitation of our cam....just accept it lor....

ptwong said:
err...not offence but do you really know where is 18% gray? ( Don't know if it's correct value) I can't tell on a pic with full spectrum of light/colour where to meter off. Maybe because i'm a new bird :)

Hmm.. I don't really know what is 18% gray, newbie too :confused:
I used to shoot photos for my kids in house, and only light source is from windows, sometime, I encounter their backlight was too strong, and my photos came out underexposed. Then I just change the metering to "spot mode", focus lock at the child's face, recompose, and the final result was much better, though a bit overexposed at the window area which I don't really care. (I can easily crop that away.)

So, put back the same situation, I can't do that simple trick on 300D, and force to use fill flash. am I doing the right method? :think:

Appreciate for sharing tips :)

ptwong said:

One of the uses of spot metering is when covering fashion shows - where the lighting and the clothing varies tremedously. This sometimes leaves the face as the only "meter-able" part in the entire scene - and many Asian skin color tend to around middle tone (~18%+/-). Caucasian model +exp compensation abit, African models -exp compensation abit.

No spot-meter? Learn how your center-weighted or partial metering reacts in different lighting conditions and adapt from there. Everyone has their own way of metering - there's no right way or wrong way, or die die must use spot metering to meter a particular scene. It all depends on how experienced you are with your equipment and how well you trust and understand your camera's metering modes.

ST_sg said:
Then I just change the metering to "spot mode", focus lock at the child's face, recompose, and the final result was much better

:)

Backlight situations may/usually lead to underexposure in the subject. In this case, simply increase your exposure compensation to compensate. (knowing exactly how many stops to compensate will depend on your camera and your skill liao... but with digital and post-processing not much of a problem)

Fill flash adds another light source to your subject - while maintaining your ambient (background) exposure. In this case, both subject and background should now be correctly exposed. This will be in contrast with not using fill flash - you will either get subject dark, background correctly exposed (like a sihouette) or subject correctly exposed, background blown out. So you'll have to ask yourself which effect are you aiming for? :)

use pop up flash lah :)
it's more than adequate to provide some fill flash and catch light.

18 % grey - the metering system in the camera will set exposure so that the average would be equivalent to 18% grey. For example if you fill the camera frame with a white card, the resulting exposure will be such that the card would look grey (18% grey) when printed/viewed on screen, etc.

Side point - you *can* use either a whilte card or grey card to set your custom white balance, given from above how the camera metering system works.

nutek said:
use pop up flash lah :)
it's more than adequate to provide some fill flash and catch light.
oh... because I don't want to fire flash light directly to my child's eyes mah... I think it's not so good for infant?! :)

AlvicTay said:
Hi

Thank you!
If you are using zoom lens, zoom in (max) to take partial meter reading of the spot you want to meter. AE lock. zoom back to frame your shoots. Its work for some situations only, not all.

denniskee said:
If you are using zoom lens, zoom in (max) to take partial meter reading of the spot you want to meter. AE lock. zoom back to frame your shoots. Its work for some situations only, not all.
good idea man. :thumbsup:

Will try it next time.

Thanks for sharing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.