Qlympus C3040

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfusion

Mar 17, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Anyone using Olympus C3040? Any comment?

Was offered for C3040 (std package) + 1 x 64mb SM @ $1050 - a shop at AMK central, is this price reasonable?

Heard it's a discontinued model, is it wise to get it?

Sound good to me. Was offered $1250 few months back without any freebie. This is a very good DC.

Originally posted by xfusion

Was offered for C3040 (std package) + 1 x 64mb SM @ $1050 - a shop at AMK central, is this price reasonable?

AMK Central??? MS Color beside Jubilee cinema is it???

It's a resonable price.....

The super-fast F1.8 lens wil come in handy in low-light situations.

See my Olympus DC Resource Thread for help.

If u don't mind a slower lens, the C-3020z with F2.8 lens @ $850 is a gd choice too...and it has NR feature, which the C-3040z don't have.

hi, saya still on the hunt for DC. what's in a std package for C3040? :D

headache! headache! :confused: After viewing the thread, now got more models to consider liao :confused: C3040? or C3020? or C700UZ? or C2100UZ? :confused: headache! headache!

that guy say everything listed on the box, such as usb cable, video cable, software CDROM, 4x batteries, case, 16mb SM, etc and of course the camera itself. BTW, no charger or rechargable batteries enclosed, was recommended the new sony charger with 2 batteries @ $42, (add $10 to get 2 more batteries as C3040 needs 4)

it's a process which many of us have gone through. consider carefully whether greater zoom or higher MP is more important to you. and also the size.

that guy say everything listed on the box, such as usb cable, video cable, software CDROM, 4x batteries, case, 16mb SM, etc and of course the camera itself. BTW, no charger or rechargable batteries enclosed, was recommended the new sony charger with 2 batteries @ $42, (add $10 to get 2 more batteries as C3040 needs 4)

thx! me also headache, narrow to 3 models now:
c2040 $750 (std package + 4 batteries & charger + ac adaptor + 32 mb SM) John 3:16
c3040 $1100 (std package + 64 mb SM + sony charger&4 batteries) amk central shop
c2100uz $900 (std package only)... maybe $1000 with batteries & charger. CP

:dunno:

Originally posted by ultramagnus

thx! me also headache, narrow to 3 models now:
c2040 $750 (std package + 4 batteries & charger + ac adaptor + 32 mb SM) John 3:16
c3040 $1100 (std package + 64 mb SM + sony charger&4 batteries) amk central shop
c2100uz $900 (std package only)... maybe $1000 with batteries & charger. CP

:dunno:

In most situations a 2.1MP DC is more than enuff to provide great, detailed pix......u've gotta ask urself, do u really need that 10x zoom or is 3x is enuff???

and also the size, C2100UZ is huge

Huge but good! The IS really helps :)

I would rather pay a little more for the c4040, also at f1.8 and black is nice!

Originally posted by JasK
Huge but good! The IS really helps :)

I would rather pay a little more for the c4040, also at f1.8 and black is nice!

I would classify the C-4040z as in the league of the Canon G2....though the G2 have swivel LCD and uses CF I/II which is an advantage over the C-4040z.....but the C-4040z has a slightly faster F1.8 lens + it uses 4 xx AA batt.

Both r excellent DCs in my opinon....u can't go wrong wif either.

;)

Originally posted by fcpga
and also the size, C2100UZ is huge

When u get used to it...it's not that big after all.....the size makes it feels more like a pro DC IMHO. :)

Hope you guys don't get the impression that the lens stay at f/1.8 from wide to tele.

e.g for c3040 it's f/1.8 - f/2.6 so the value will decrease to f/2.6 as you approach full tele :)
f/2.6 is still quite fast though ;)

Originally posted by Jayan

I would classify the C-4040z as in the league of the Canon G2....though the G2 have swivel LCD and uses CF I/II which is an advantage over the C-4040z.....but the C-4040z has a slightly faster F1.8 lens + it uses 4 xx AA batt.

Both r excellent DCs in my opinon....u can't go wrong wif either.

;)

But if you ask me to choose between the 2, I will get G2. It is definately a class above the c4040.
1. Sharper lens.
2. More storage space.
3. More accessories to play with.
4. It will be available in black real soon!
5. Color output one of the best for prosumers.

But if you ask me to choose between the 2, I will get G2. It is definately a class above the c4040.
1. Sharper lens.
2. More storage space.
3. More accessories to play with.

Just wondering why you say the lens is sharper. Were there any tests?

Originally posted by mpenza

Just wondering why you say the lens is sharper. Were there any tests?

I have seen the results from a friends g2 and i really loved it, well then i was overseas and there was this comparison between prosumers digicam and the g2 came out tops.

looking at the below url, i still prefer g2's result, tho ones view may differ, all depend on how much you are into details etc.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong2/page18.asp

looking at the below url, i still prefer g2's result, tho ones view may differ, all depend on how much you are into details etc.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong2/page18.asp

It does lose out on 2 counts though (but better in others).

In a couple of the G2's crops you can see evidence of sharpening artifacts as well as the strange diagonal artifacts we've already talked about, probably most visible in the crop of the Martini bottle label.

Again, similar observations about colour, resolution and sharpness. However, this time the G2 loses out to the C-4040Z on noise, in shadow / dark gray areas of the image noise is quite visible. Whether it's being enhanced by the G2's sharpening algorithm or whether the C-4040Z is managing to keep noise down artificially is unclear. But the result is the same, the C-4040Z maintains a cleaner image at ISO 100.

How come most people favour black, I think those sliver colour looks cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.