Qing Duo Duo Zi Jiao! Newbie here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoemi

Oct 10, 2009
Hello All!

Just bought Canon 500D 18 - 55mm IS Kit. Wants to learn more about photography and making new friends!

Cheers!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

hi hohoemi,

welcome to CS.

Hi hohoemi,

Welcome welcome :)

I'm very interested in getting into macro but im not sure if my 18-55mm kit lens would be able to shoot decent macros.

What is an affordable macro lens I could get for a beginner like me? Or do i even need a macro lens to start as the kit lens would do?

Pls advice! Cheers!

Welcome to CS..

There are a couple of ways I know that can get you into macro shooting.

Reverse-lens mount - do a search on this forum. It basically uses 2 lens mounted together in reverse order and is able to obtain macro shots. Price wise think u need another lens.

Raynox 250 - a clip-on lens that magnifies your images (cheap, ard $120)

3rd party macro lens - Tamron 90mm is cheap and good. Can get at around 400-500+ depending on 1st hand or 2nd hand

Canon macro lens - can try the compact macro which i think is at 500+ but only 50mm. Can double up as a prime lens as well i guess. Or if you have the budget, definitely go for the Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro or even the new Canon 100mm L lens macro..

Last edited:
I'm very interested in getting into macro but im not sure if my 18-55mm kit lens would be able to shoot decent macros.

What is an affordable macro lens I could get for a beginner like me? Or do i even need a macro lens to start as the kit lens would do?

Pls advice! Cheers!

by 'macro', what are you referring to exactly?
insects? or flowers?

If it is a fairly large flower, you might not need a macro lens. Maybe a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens might do the trick.
If it's insects, then you'll likely need a macro lens with a long focal length.

Thx prec85, I will definitely do my homework on the lenses you have mentioned.

ZerocoolAstra, my macro is mostly flowers. However, I would also like to use the same lens for portrait shots as well.

Thx!

best and cheapest result for potrait get 50mm F/1.8 II
(everyone has that)

if only want to macro flowers, your 18-55mm can do the trick
at f/3.5 if you got good lighting
the flowers do turn out pretty nicely =)

welcome to the club! :)

best and cheapest result for potrait get 50mm F/1.8 II
(everyone has that)

if only want to macro flowers, your 18-55mm can do the trick
at f/3.5 if you got good lighting
the flowers do turn out pretty nicely =)

you can only get f/3.5 at the wide end, which is pretty pointless if you're trying to isolate the subject from the background.
to TS: Try at 55mm f/5.6 and see if the background blur is sufficient. If not, gotta get the 50mm f/1.8 :)

you can only get f/3.5 at the wide end, which is pretty pointless if you're trying to isolate the subject from the background.
to TS: Try at 55mm f/5.6 and see if the background blur is sufficient. If not, gotta get the 50mm f/1.8 :)

In addition, the kit lens needs one step down from maximum aperture for good sharpness. That's f/8 then for 55mm. The 50mm f/1.8 can be used already with f/2.8, some really good copies even wider.

other option for macro photography is to use extension tube. http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/ExtensionTube.htm

quite decent results for flowers and other non moving objects. drawback is will need a tripod cos will be very slow. and better get a prime lens for better quality pictures with this method. 50mm/f1.8 is very affordable. but of course if have the moolah just go for dedicated macro lens lah. 100mm/f2.8 go for $800+ iirc and doubles up as a nice portrait lens. for cropped sensor can conside EFS 60mm also.

Thx everyone for welcoming me into CS! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to CS!

As a macro shooter myself, I go directly with a 100mm f/2.8 macro + Raynox 250DCR, since I can also use the 100mm as a good potrait lens. If you want to have a cheaper alternative, get a Canon Prime 50mm MkII f/1.8 + Raynox 250DCR, which will also give you good macro shots.

Hope to see you to post your shots in macro section soon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.