Q for Event Photog (Batt & Flash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapa1125

Jul 21, 2005
Hi Guy, For Events do you find good rechargable Batt don't last long, for 580EX?

Or you guys use normal Energizer or duracell for most events?

Thanks in advance!

extended events using flash needs ext batt pack for flash.
quantum is a popular brand I think cna't be sure.

btw did ur rechargeable heat up very fast when flashing multiple times?

Just bring a few sets of AAs. I think the external battery pack is a blooming hindrance.

Yah usually i bring a pack of 12s aa to events

So the AAs is rechargable type or energizer ?

You can literally count the number of shots if you use Alkaline such as Energizer. They are the utmost last resort. Rechargeables are much better bets. Depending on number of shots, but I personally would bring at least 12 for an event less than 4 hours.

External battery packs are an overkill for most users. Those who need them love them for the boost they give to the flash recharge times. Especially important to burst shots if sequence shots are required. In addition, some precious seconds are saved from having to replace the used batts (which can be life-saving during some vvip sequences) - assuming a fast happening event for an official photog.

batt packs r more for faster cycle rates

i dun use rechargeables mainly bcoz sometimes using rechargable i got problems wif the flash not firing think it becoz of the voltage 1.2 and non rechargeable is 1.5. any1 got the same experience ?? Using a 300d and 580ex

Den01 said:
i dun use rechargeables mainly bcoz sometimes using rechargable i got problems wif the flash not firing think it becoz of the voltage 1.2 and non rechargeable is 1.5. any1 got the same experience ?? Using a 300d and 580ex

really?
what batts you using?
in fact if i am not wrong rechargeables are better for high output stuff. becos the voltage dropoff is not as large when the power used up.

Soapa1125 said:
Hi Guy, For Events do you find good rechargable Batt don't last long, for 580EX?

Or you guys use normal Energizer or duracell for most events?

Thanks in advance!

I have been using Energizer for years but gaveup as it is not cost effective.

Rechargable batteries depends on how many shots you shoot at the event, normally around 180-200+ shot I will replaced the 4 AAs batteries with flesh rechargable battery and continue shooting. Bring more backup battery if you have .. dont limit to yourself how many you wanted to bring .. you never knows ... :sweat:

I also used Quantum Turbo 2x2 ... more power and very useful when event called for it. Dont have to worry about burst and missed important shot ... :bsmilie:

rechargables and batt pack..cant go worng there...and bring spares...you'll be amazed wat the 580 can push out in terms of output and longevity

Guys,

What's your max no. of flashes when you use rechargeable batteries for 580ex?

I use Sanyo 2500 on my 580ex and it can only last me 150 to 180 shots.

+evenstar said:
Around 200+ shots, which I can last over 2 or 3 weeks

Are you using Omni-bounce or any other bounce element?

Me using Quantam 1+. Small and compact. Great for burst of a few shots. Fast recycle. Good for a full day event of moderate shooting. If heavy shooting will use up after 1/2 day. I bring some spare sanyos NiMH just in case.
;)

Zplus said:
Me using Quantam 1+. Small and compact. Great for burst of a few shots. Fast recycle. Good for a full day event of moderate shooting. If heavy shooting will use up after 1/2 day. I bring some spare sanyos NiMH just in case.
;)

What's the price and where can I get them?

knneo said:
Guys,

What's your max no. of flashes when you use rechargeable batteries for 580ex?

I use Sanyo 2500 on my 580ex and it can only last me 150 to 180 shots.

I'm using 550EX and Sanyo 2500s on its first charge. Lasted me more than 200+shots and i bounce everything. pretty darn good. The batts are suppose to reach full capacity over the next few charges so i expect the number of shots to increase.

As for yours lasting only 150 to 180 shots, maybe it has to do with the charger also. Evenstar mentioned his lasting 200+ shots over a few weeks also, like mine probably bc we both use MAHA charger. what abt u? Since i changed to the MAHA Charger not only has batt life improved but even the recharge time for the flash also! :thumbsup: Quite amazed...

Status
Not open for further replies.