Q for 50mm users whom upgraded 1.4 to 1.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.visualverve.sg
Has anyone upgraded from 1.4 to 1.2 and felt that afterall you don't really need to spend so much on the 1.2 and that the 1.4 is more than enough to do justice?.... or perhaps 'impulse buying' experience?

I have been thinking of upgrading to 1.2 only because I am not confident of the focusing motor in 1.4. My assignments are 60-40 for events and controlled environment. It fainted a few times during my last AD wedding session (and a few times before) - just refused to focus and I had to twist ring to one end for it to be conscious again. Well, I heard it's a common issue with this old lens. Sent it to CSC and so far no problem. But the thing is apart from that, this damn thing produces solid IQ which am sure many of you know.

Honestly, I rarely shoot at 1.4 and won't see myself shooting at 1.2 that often. More often than not it's 1.8 or 2.0 (else no point on getting it anyways). On the other hand, am not afraid of investing on this either cuz resale value is there.... but ..... back to my question above? and in real world situation... how's the difference? Thanks. :)

EDIT: I just realised this thread should be posted in Canon. Mod, would be nice if you can move. :)

Last edited:
I upgraded from the f/1.8 II to the f/1.2L. Absolutely no regrets as i shoot lots of portraits. Everything abt the f/1.2L is better except for weight and price. :thumbsup:

I upgraded from the f/1.8 II to the f/1.2L. Absolutely no regrets as i shoot lots of portraits. Everything abt the f/1.2L is better except for weight and price. :thumbsup:

Think the threadstarter is looking more at whether there is appreciable difference between f1.4 and f1.2L. If upgrading from f1.8II, the difference would definitely be more than appreciable. He's just afraid of regretting spending that huge difference between f1.4 and f1.2L, then finding out that he's not getting an equivalent jump in performance. Esp when he doesn't expect to shoot at f1.2 (or even f1.4) all that often....

For the money you will shell out for the 1.2, why not buy one extra 1.4 just for backup since you are not going to utilize the 1.2 aperture anyway?

Think the threadstarter is looking more at whether there is appreciable difference between f1.4 and f1.2L. If upgrading from f1.8II, the difference would definitely be more than appreciable. He's just afraid of regretting spending that huge difference between f1.4 and f1.2L, then finding out that he's not getting an equivalent jump in performance. Esp when he doesn't expect to shoot at f1.2 (or even f1.4) all that often....
I understand the apprehension will always be there. However, I can tell you if you look at this logically using your head, you will never own the 1.2 because there is really no way it is going to cost 4 times more for that little extra. However, if you go with your heart, then the satisfaction of using the widest aperture Canon can provide (don't bring up the 0.8 or 1.0 because it is not readily available) might be worth the cost.

Just ask yourself whether you are using your head or your heart.

EDIT: I know, because when I made the decision on getting the 85L, that is exactly the same thought process I went through...

Last edited:
you guys are talking about canon rite? how come not in canon forum... :p

There is a very small handful of Canon L prime lenses out there where the money spent seems unjustified. Of all, I think the 50mm f/1.2L tops them all. One reviewer (can't remember who) even boldly mentioned this is one lens you buy if you don't know how else to spend your money. Or something to that effect.

Sure it's built like an L, but built isn't ultimately the only thing you look for in a lens.

CS Tan said it well. You got to use your heart when buying this lens. such lenses will not give you a linear type of return for what you paid. For eg, you paid it 5 times more than the f/1.4, you expect to feel like WOW WOW!!! 5 times when you see the image. I'm afraid it's not going to work that way.

Personally, and that's my opinion only, it's not worth to get the lens for its price. But hey, if you've got the $, who is to stop you? But like i said, be careful not to deceive yourself that you will get a lot more in return as far as image quality is concerned.

So far, I've not read a review which has said the f/1.2 will out-perform the f/1.4 in image quality for the difference in price you are paying.

Well, I guess it's like buying a sports car in singapore. If you ask if it's justified since roads here are so small and speed limit is there, then obviously, you are just being jealous or can't afford it.

Same as the f/1.2 I suppose. You can't question too much if it's logical to buy it. You just do cos you are willing to splurge on it.

I too did think if I'd ever upgrade from the 50 1.4 to the 1.2L.
For me, it'll be unlikely that I do so. The difference in aperture is only 1/3 stop, so in terms of low light capability, it's not going to justify the price tag.
The difference betw the 85 1.8 and the 1.2L, however, is 1 full stop, which many of us know makes a whole lot of difference.

The only gripe I have with the 50 1.4 is that under certain lighting conditions, it produces a somewhat soft/dreamy image. Read in reviews that it's a known problem with the 50 1.4. However, my copy of the 50 1.4 is really sharp wide open when I use it indoors in low light.

Esp for TS, if you won't use the 50L wide open, I feel that it's not a wise decision to upgrade unless you've got money to throw or earn a lot from your photography to justify the purchase.

Cheers!

Right... thanks people. Appreciate your time. Still welcoming feedback esp those who really have upgraded from 1.4 to 1.2

I've used the f/1.4 before as well. It's not as contrasty as the f/1.2L though. If one doesn't need the quality and built, then f/1.4 is the way to go, even though i've heard some issues regarding the USM.

I'm no pro like some of you guys here but i wish to share my thoughts too. i had a 50f1.4 and i din really like the sharpness of it and the contrast. i went in for a 35L instead because i wanted a lowlight indoor prime with . My aperture <f1.8. my set up only have the lowest is a 135f2..which is too tight for indoor. i wanted to upgrade to the 50L but like mentioned...i can't find strong review to support the jump in price. i ended up with a 35L because the sharpness and colour is good still. i went TK and i talk to James abt it. that i was contemplating a 50L and a 35L. he recommended me the sigma 50f1.4 instead..he felt that the 50L was overpriced(which he says he used before) and if you not gonna use f1.2...what's the point.. the DOF of 1.4 to me is still quite manageable..

50f1.4 i did remember in one thread a user mentioned changing his lens 3 times...and fixing his motor another few times...so unreliable...i dun miss the range of 50 at all...just zoom with my legs...and the 35L is sweet...500 bucks cheaper also if i not wrong..

not sure where a lot of people are coming from when they say the quality of 1.4 is similar to 1.2.

i find myself shooting with 50L wide open but when i had the 50 f1.4, i barely shot wide open. i always shot from f2.0 onwards on the 50 f.14.

the performance of 50L is very sweet f1.2-f1.6.

i understand you normally stop higher on the 50 f1.4, but u might find yourself using the 50L at wider apertures than you were doing previously.

however, i do agree that its a passion thing as the money spent on a 50L cannot be easily justified. but am i pleased owning a 50L? for sure :)

despite everyone knocking it down, many people i met always ooh'ed and aaah'ed when they shot with it. most people always say 5D2+50L is one of the most desirable. a non-quantifiable joy in owning one? maybe...

also the consistent knocking it down could be people who are jealous - "ya, spent so much money but not very good..." i mean, ya they want one, but they try to rationalise why its not a good idea to comfort themselves. sour grapes? perhaps. we're talking about singaporeans here after all :bsmilie:

no la..i don't think ppl gun it down because cannot afford.i see most ppl doing well.i can see students playing with expensive gear too.so costs is not an issue.most ppl probably can afford if they want but no budget for it.
anyway i just think if not using f1.2 what for buy e 50L. But i definitely don't believe the canon f1.4 is similar to f1.2L.maybe in terms of costs to performance ratio,some feels e sigma and canon f1.4 is more worth it for e money.
For me this baby is not in my list till i get sick of my zoom lens then i will dump my 2470L for it.

no la..i don't think ppl gun it down because cannot afford.i see most ppl doing well.i can see students playing with expensive gear too.so costs is not an issue.most ppl probably can afford if they want but no budget for it.
anyway i just think if not using f1.2 what for buy e 50L. But i definitely don't believe the canon f1.4 is similar to f1.2L.maybe in terms of costs to performance ratio,some feels e sigma and canon f1.4 is more worth it for e money.
For me this baby is not in my list till i get sick of my zoom lens then i will dump my 2470L for it.
Looking at your current gear, perhaps the 85L should be ahead of the 50L for you. :thumbsup:

For the money you will shell out for the 1.2, why not buy one extra 1.4 just for backup since you are not going to utilize the 1.2 aperture anyway?

haha... never crossed my mind but wicked thought. :) Thanks.

I'd agree. I mostly shoot at 1.8-2.0 for my 50 1.4, if I have been using f-stops like 2.5 and above, this thread might not exist and would have gone for 24-70.

Why would the 50L replace a 24-70L? they are quite different!

We all know every lens is different, and at the top range it is like buying a supercar. eg. Ferrari, GTI and say Altis. They can go 0-100 in say 4, 7 and 11 sec respectively. The pricing difference is not linear, and as you get closer to the top every incremental improvement costs much more.

To TS, I use a 50L and I like it very much and its sharp all right, but no, I was not an upgrader. The weight, albeit abit heavy feels quite right. If you compare to the 85L or 24-70L it feels light. DOF is razor thin, and therefore quite a bit more difficult to harness compared to the other f1.2 ie 85L. Why not rent a piece for a few days and see if you like it enough after that?

Honestly, I don't really fancy the idea of renting (though I always ask people to haha) and it's not like the lens am renting will be a good copy too. I've never been so unsure about getting lens but this 1.2 is one. For lenses I've owned, I got them without much surveying kind cuz doubt I can go wrong with Ls and more importantly knowing the focal lengths I need to do my job. If made wrong decision sell lor, I think I will lose lesser than renting.

Anyways, chances now is that I'd be getting it since there're more positive than neutral reviews. Particularly, I am just hoping the focus (mechanism, accuracy and speed) on 1.2 is superior than the 1.4 though.

given the thin DoF, it made a significant difference after i sent it in for calibration.

i recommend that too. initially my copy was a bit off at 1.6... had to nail it down with calibration.

yeah i know the 2470 is very diff fr the 50. That's why when i think i prefer a 50 for general walkabt then i'm ready to dump my 2470. When overseas, i do see a few shooters walk ard with this babe or the 35L.

Thanks cs tan for see me so up...haha 85L damn ex now la...and i have no use for a f1.2. My 135 will serve me well with some footwork of course.for now my favourite is the 135L and 35L...the weight of 2470 though is starting to piss me off.....esp when bringing it out with it evil bro 70200 f2.8....but i'm not gd enuff yet to warrant a 35L,50L and 135L set up....haha

Rendition:since you make money fr your shoot..why not.. For me..i'm just a hobbist shooter...got spare cash then can upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.