Q for 50mm users whom upgraded 1.4 to 1.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received this lens from B&H... Ooooh... Definitely much much much better built than the f/1.4, quieter and/or faster focusing too. Kinda heavy though but not something that will kill or annoy me. Indeed, there's some very slight focus shift at 1.2 but that's like 1 out of 10 shots and was testing without proper setup - Can't be bothered haha... I rather test like in real-life environment where am prolly not using tripod. Yes, this will satisfy those who demand that built and the 1.2.

Anyways... EF 50 1.2 is one awesome lens. Wish it was cheaper, that's all.... Now, anyone interested in getting my 1.4? hehe...

Last edited:
Just received this lens from B&H... Ooooh... Definitely much much much better built than the f/1.4, quieter and/or faster focusing too. Kinda heavy though but not something that will kill or annoy me. Indeed, there's some very slight focus shift at 1.2 but that's like 1 out of 10 shots and was testing without proper setup - Can't be bothered haha... I rather test like in real-life environment where am prolly not using tripod. Yes, this will satisfy those who demand that built and the 1.2.

Anyways... EF 50 1.2 is one awesome lens. Wish it was cheaper, that's all.... Now, anyone interested in getting my 1.4? hehe...

If it was cheaper it wouldn't be a L.

Not true. The 135mm f/2L and 35mm f/1.4L are both a fair bit cheaper.

Precisely, I think 50 f/1.2L is an overpriced piece still. Anyways, guys, B&H having instant rebates ending 11 July! Some up to USD200! Oops... I must have tempted some.

congrats on your new lens. I too went from the 50/1.4 to 50/1.2L but my reason was I needed a low light lens for dance photography. the 1.4 could not be used wide open, as many here have mentioned, due to softness and CA. there are many horrible light source in stage performance that simply screws the 1.4.

With the 1.2L I can actually shoot wide open or even at 1.8 with great results, and the bokeh, especially how it renders a light spot, is so creamy and sweet!

that's true, strangers actually talk to you when you have a /1.2 mounted on your camera :sweat:

Strangers, and strange people too. Lol.

Actually someone ever asked me if the lens i was using (135/2L) was a 200 f/2L =/

Hmmm, had some free time last night to do a focusing test... I guess the reviews are somewhat right, the lens back focuses for near and far distance. I had to adjust the Micro adjustment by -14 on 5D Mark II to get things right. But of course this isn't possible with my 5D so... blardy hell, yet another visit to CSC. I just hope they can get it fixed and not like how some has said before, send also no use, still same thing issue.

Ironic isn't it, I have been visiting CSC more often as I have higher end body and lenses and I am not those kiasu sort who'll go for the sake of going hahaha... Koo koo leh...

But of course this isn't possible with my 5D so... blardy hell, yet another visit to CSC. I just hope they can get it fixed and not like how some has said before, send also no use, still same thing issue.

Ironic isn't it, I have been visiting CSC more often as I have higher end body and lenses and I am not those kiasu sort who'll go for the sake of going hahaha... Koo koo leh...

Exactly, the irony. Remember to send both lens and body oh. Scream at them for discount at the inconvenience and the "poor" out-of-box experience.

Haven't sent... Wanted to do so today but apparently they need 3 working days. But I have a shoot tomorrow haha... damn. If express is $25 per item...

Hey babykailan, did or does your 50L suffer from this?

Anyways, they said it's covered by warranty of the lens so.... next week lor.

No la, just need a simple adjustment. If Microadjustment on 5DII can fix it... pictures are tact sharp after that. Am sure CSC can do the same for my 5D.

No la, just need a simple adjustment. If Microadjustment on 5DII can fix it... pictures are tact sharp after that. Am sure CSC can do the same for my 5D.

Cos i've some some pple having back focusing issues with their 50Ls too so i was wondering if it really is like maybe manufacturing fault.

is the 50mm f1.8 good enough for portraits?

Status
Not open for further replies.