Q & A for Canon 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I'm more or less decided to get cannon 400D.
but I have some Q hope you PRO and advice on this.
in the beginning wanted to buy 40D but too ex and kinda of big for me to hold it...
but 400D is small and holding it is fit well in my hand.

For the 400D Lens, if I would like to upgrade the body example 40D or other canon latest model
are we still unable to use back the same old lens from 400D???:sweatsm:

What lens is good for all round use... like taking outdoor, indoor, ppl.
pls recomm.....:sweatsm:

I'm aware of 400D is been out the market for a yrs or so....
any comments on this DSLR??:dunno:

Willing to pay abt 2000 for this package....
hope you PRO able to advice on this....

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.....:bsmilie:

Hi all,

in the beginning wanted to buy 40D but too ex and kinda of big for me to hold it...

For the 400D Lens, if I would like to upgrade the body example 40D or other canon latest model
are we still unable to use back the same old lens from 400D???:sweatsm:

pls recomm.....:sweatsm:

any comments on this DSLR??:dunno:

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.....:bsmilie:

i'm not a pro but if ur budget is 2k, u try squeeze abit more can get 40D alr.

2k for 400D kit 1 is juz about 1.3k, price differs but its ard there.

and yes, lens from 400D can be used on 40D. but since u have decided to go 400D y have the tot of upgrading? with ur budget top abit more can get 40D alr.

anyway, for ur indoor outdoor ppl lens, i think 400D kit2 would be a good option. the 17-85mm. i bought mine near 2k. hope this helps :)

also, though 400D have been out for quite sometime, its still a rather decent dslr. oni thing not very satisfied is small grip and the mickey mouse shutter. =\ other than tt, its quite a good entry lvl cam. still learning

also, though 400D have been out for quite sometime, its still a rather decent dslr. oni thing not very satisfied is small grip and the mickey mouse shutter. =\ other than tt, its quite a good entry lvl cam. still learning

what is mickey mouse shutter?? :dunno:

i'm not a pro but if ur budget is 2k, u try squeeze abit more can get 40D alr.

2k for 400D kit 1 is juz about 1.3k, price differs but its ard there.

and yes, lens from 400D can be used on 40D. but since u have decided to go 400D y have the tot of upgrading? with ur budget top abit more can get 40D alr.

anyway, for ur indoor outdoor ppl lens, i think 400D kit2 would be a good option. the 17-85mm. i bought mine near 2k. hope this helps :)

Thanks for the advice....I also thinking that option too...

ppl sometime want to have more later on....
same like owning a car....b4 u r driving a 1Kcc car and is good enough to move around.
but later on you thinking of getting a bigger cc car.....ppl is like that.... that's included Me too...:sweat::sweat:

But I also wondering... Should I get a bigger car instead of spending more $$ later on...
and use until it scarp... hee hee...:bsmilie:

I felt 40D is kinda big for me to carry around and my habd is kinda small too..
not really feel right when holding it....But I think I shall to hold on to it more....

400D.. what u mean by mickey mouse shutter??
r u able to explain more of that...

I understand 400D is quite a good DSLR.... been reading alot of the reviews...

may I know what is the selling price for 40D and 400D Kit 2 for both...just a estimated 1 will do.....

thanks....

The 400D is a pretty capable DSLR in its own right. If it fits well in your hands then why not? (Especially as a walkaround camera, the extra heft of a large camera can become a burden) As for the lens question, both the 40D and the 400D uses the EF-S (Some say the S stands for shortback focus, and refers to the extra little protrusion in the lens mount). Your lens on a 400D will work on the 40D too. For your 2K budget I think that a 400D kit 2 (EF-S 17-85mm IS) is a pretty good option. Do look at the usual shops like Cathay, AP, MS Colour etc and you'll probably have budget left for a 50mm F1.8 II as well. A small lightweight lense with big aperture that should work well indoors:)

Hi all,

are we still unable to use back the same old lens from 400D???

pls recomm.....

any comments on this DSLR??

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.....

1) Yes.... Lense that works on 400D, will works on 30D or 40D......

2) I would suggest Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead of Canon's 17-85mm IS f4.

3) I have been using 400D since Apr this year.... so far I'm having no problem with it. But must admit that I would change to 40D if I could afford it. :D

With a buget of 2K..... it would be advisable to get yourself a 2nd hand Body. With the money save, you could get a good lense + dry cabinate + tripod&ballhead (you will need such stuff). Therefore you buget wouldn't really get you far. :sweat:

I used this camera to start off my photography and it is a great little SLR to play around with the slr settings like aperture, shutter speeds and IQ good but if you can afford the 40D get it
you will fall in love with the 6.5 fps, great contrast and colours also it does feel great in your hands with the advantage of live view!
but at the end of that day its not the camera but the one who is using it ;)

Mayb u should consoder getting 400d body only with sigma 18-200mm lens. everything should cost less then $1900. the lens should be able to cover everything that you need. and your extra $100 can be spared for a dry cabi?

what is mickey mouse shutter?? :dunno:

oops didnt explain much bout tt, its juz the sound of the shutter.. dun relli like it. ;p

my advise to TS is:

1. If possible, wait for PMA 08, Canon is likely to announce 400D replacement given their 18 months product life cycle. Then, the replacement should go on sale in March 08. Prices of 400D would tumble.

2. If can't wait, I would recommend the 400D body + the new EF-S 18-55 IS lens for starters. This setup should cost about 1.2-1.3K, the balance of $700 can be used for a decent tripod (~$200), 430 EX flash (~$400) and dry cabi ($100). Total: 2K! :D

The 400D is a pretty capable DSLR in its own right. If it fits well in your hands then why not? (Especially as a walkaround camera, the extra heft of a large camera can become a burden) As for the lens question, both the 40D and the 400D uses the EF-S (Some say the S stands for shortback focus, and refers to the extra little protrusion in the lens mount). Your lens on a 400D will work on the 40D too. For your 2K budget I think that a 400D kit 2 (EF-S 17-85mm IS) is a pretty good option. Do look at the usual shops like Cathay, AP, MS Colour etc and you'll probably have budget left for a 50mm F1.8 II as well. A small lightweight lense with big aperture that should work well indoors:)

Yes, I totally agree with you with that....:p
weight is part of the factors... sometime went outing with my wife and kid, sometime so busy running after him or carrying him together with a heavy DSLR.... is will be a double burden for me too..:p
I can't imaging If I carry a big camera bag with and my kid bag... that's will be a pains...:sweatsm:

But on their hand, once you saw the result of the pic and you feel good and great...
so still need to think is over again...... ahhhhhhh.........;(

I used this camera to start off my photography and it is a great little SLR to play around with the slr settings like aperture, shutter speeds and IQ good but if you can afford the 40D get it
you will fall in love with the 6.5 fps, great contrast and colours also it does feel great in your hands with the advantage of live view!
but at the end of that day its not the camera but the one who is using it ;)

I also aware of the 6.5fps too... I also like that too...:bigeyes:
BTW what is Live View??? :dunno:

Mayb u should consoder getting 400d body only with sigma 18-200mm lens. everything should cost less then $1900. the lens should be able to cover everything that you need. and your extra $100 can be spared for a dry cabi?

That's sound pretty good....:lovegrin:
May I know this Sigma c/w IS???

my advise to TS is:

1. If possible, wait for PMA 08, Canon is likely to announce 400D replacement given their 18 months product life cycle. Then, the replacement should go on sale in March 08. Prices of 400D would tumble.

2. If can't wait, I would recommend the 400D body + the new EF-S 18-55 IS lens for starters. This setup should cost about 1.2-1.3K, the balance of $700 can be used for a decent tripod (~$200), 430 EX flash (~$400) and dry cabi ($100). Total: 2K! :D

Sorry what is PMA08??
what abt the compact flash???

Sigma 18-200 can be bought with IS. They have 2 version with one being more expensive (the is version). The 40D is pretty heavy and if you are just getting a basic lens it will feel kinda weird lol. Thats me though.

Live view is the function where you can see the image on the lcd before taking the shot. Similar to a normal compact camera this days but it consumes alot of power and requires some form of knowledge to utilizie it properly (Unlike compact it isnt that idiot proof)

6.5 FPS is depending on what you shoot. I have only utilize it once and that to take a fountain but thats about it. For me on the 40D, I use the live view the most with manual focus to take pics of my figurines.

PMA08 is a anual event where major company in the photography world come together and announce their latest and greatest. As what people have pointed out, canon will probably launch a new consumer DSLR as the 400D is currently near Canon targetted cycle. However I doubt canon will phase it out considering 350D can still be found here and there.

The flash on the camera even on the 40D isnt fantastic. Limitation of use as you can only fire forward. Getting a flash gun like 430 speedlight can make your pictures look much better by bouncing it off ceilings and wall. Its better to get a flash if you intend to shoot indoor often as most of the time there is hardly enough light to take shots without it and turn out decent.

As what coolsig has pointed out, 400D body + the new EF-S 18-55 IS lens for starters with the additional money for a decent tripod (~$200), 430 EX flash (~$400) and dry cabi ($100). is actually a very good setup. I started off with something like this. If you are tight on budget you can actually get a second hand 420EX flash (~$250). And depending on what you shoot, you may or maynot need the tripod. If you dont need a tripod, you can consider using the extra money and maybe get the 17-85 IS USM for the additional reach or get a sharp second hand 17-50 F2.8 Tamron. Body isnt critical unless you really need some of the functions on them. For me 40D is because its the cheapest live view Canon camera in the market and has the metering that my 300D doesnt.

Buy what you need not what is good. I learnt that the hard way (buy and sell lens isnt fun and cost money -.-).

Sigma 18-200 can be bought with IS. They have 2 version with one being more expensive (the is version). The 40D is pretty heavy and if you are just getting a basic lens it will feel kinda weird lol. Thats me though.

Live view is the function where you can see the image on the lcd before taking the shot. Similar to a normal compact camera this days but it consumes alot of power and requires some form of knowledge to utilizie it properly (Unlike compact it isnt that idiot proof)

6.5 FPS is depending on what you shoot. I have only utilize it once and that to take a fountain but thats about it. For me on the 40D, I use the live view the most with manual focus to take pics of my figurines.

PMA08 is a anual event where major company in the photography world come together and announce their latest and greatest. As what people have pointed out, canon will probably launch a new consumer DSLR as the 400D is currently near Canon targetted cycle. However I doubt canon will phase it out considering 350D can still be found here and there.

The flash on the camera even on the 40D isnt fantastic. Limitation of use as you can only fire forward. Getting a flash gun like 430 speedlight can make your pictures look much better by bouncing it off ceilings and wall. Its better to get a flash if you intend to shoot indoor often as most of the time there is hardly enough light to take shots without it and turn out decent.

As what coolsig has pointed out, 400D body + the new EF-S 18-55 IS lens for starters with the additional money for a decent tripod (~$200), 430 EX flash (~$400) and dry cabi ($100). is actually a very good setup. I started off with something like this. If you are tight on budget you can actually get a second hand 420EX flash (~$250). And depending on what you shoot, you may or maynot need the tripod. If you dont need a tripod, you can consider using the extra money and maybe get the 17-85 IS USM for the additional reach or get a sharp second hand 17-50 F2.8 Tamron. Body isnt critical unless you really need some of the functions on them. For me 40D is because its the cheapest live view Canon camera in the market and has the metering that my 300D doesnt.

Buy what you need not what is good. I learnt that the hard way (buy and sell lens isnt fun and cost money -.-).

Sound good men..!!!
That for the information...!!! :angel:
Is really help alot to me..:)

For the time being.... Just wait for the PMA08...
and see how.... at this point of time
trying to save more $$$$...
:devil:

Excellence.... Totally agreed wit you bro......

1) Yes.... Lense that works on 400D, will works on 30D or 40D......

2) I would suggest Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead of Canon's 17-85mm IS f4.

3) I have been using 400D since Apr this year.... so far I'm having no problem with it. But must admit that I would change to 40D if I could afford it. :D

With a buget of 2K..... it would be advisable to get yourself a 2nd hand Body. With the money save, you could get a good lense + dry cabinate + tripod&ballhead (you will need such stuff). Therefore you buget wouldn't really get you far. :sweat:

May I know what is the different between these 2 lens??
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead of Canon's 17-85mm IS f4.

May I know what is the different between these 2 lens??
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead of Canon's 17-85mm IS f4.

The difference would be the aperture. The tamron having a f/2.8 meaning night shots without flash would look better than the f/4-5.6 on the 17-85mm

The difference would be the aperture. The tamron having a f/2.8 meaning night shots without flash would look better than the f/4-5.6 on the 17-85mm

look better? i think it doesn't work that way. u can still get the exposure right with either of the lens used.

Status
Not open for further replies.