Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice on the DSLR.
During the last weekend been holding and testing Canon 40D, 400D, Nikon D80, D40x.
I have confirm & decided to go for Canon 40D is fit well in my hands.

But my next Q will be for the lens should I use the kit 2 lens or purchase another lens?
I have final listed the below 2 brand lens.

Between this 2 brands which is serve my requirement
I like to take photos or out door, people and my kid. :heart:

Which lens or brands can you provide my need. :think:
:dunno::dunno:
Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS

Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC (Vibration Compensation)
Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II

Need you guys for help on this...
Thank you...!!!!:sweat:

i would prefer tamrom sp 90mm for shooting ppl, its a macro lens as well.

I feel that you should go for 18-200mm (sigma or tamron)

Between these 2 brand of lens which is better?
I mean in term of quality and reliability.....

Don't own either one... but seem like sigma 18-200 is quite popular here in cs.

i have the tamron lens (selling only cos im upgrading), and i feel its quite a nice lens. decently sharp for an 18-200 lens, but the sigma has the advantage of HSM and OS, which might be better for faster shooting

i wouldnt recommend the 28-300 for a 1.6x crop cam, cos it defeats the purpose of an all purpose lens, as 28mm would be 42mm, which isnt wide enough for most shots

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice on the DSLR.
During the last weekend been holding and testing Canon 40D, 400D, Nikon D80, D40x.
I have confirm & decided to go for Canon 40D is fit well in my hands.

But my next Q will be for the lens should I use the kit 2 lens or purchase another lens?
I have final listed the below 2 brand lens.

Between this 2 brands which is serve my requirement
I like to take photos or out door, people and my kid. :heart:

Which lens or brands can you provide my need. :think:
:dunno::dunno:
Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS

Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC (Vibration Compensation)
Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II

Need you guys for help on this...
Thank you...!!!!:sweat:

honestly, don't commit to a superzoom until u know what ur shooting style is or u will end up wasting money.

stick with the kit 1, kit 2 or perhaps the tamron 17-50 first.

Here's something to think about:

Focal length coverage isn't everything. When I started out, I learnt quickly how handy a fast lens (fast because of a large aperture opening, that allows fast shutter speeds) comes into play, especially at family/friend gatherings, hanging out with friends etc.

IMHO with your budget, getting the 40D body and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 will give you very good value for money. Though the Tamron 17-50 is of shorter range, the f/2.8 aperture opening is 2/3-stops faster than the 18-200 or 28-300 at the wide end, and more than two stops faster than the abovementioned lenses at the long end.

What each stop means is getting twice as much light onto your sensor, which means a shutter speed that's twice as fast. Ok lets assume you are shooting on the Sigma 18-200 OS at 50mm. The maximum aperture should be around f/4.5. Let's just assume I have a shutter speed of 1/30s. Now pick up the Tamron, zoom in to 50mm, and you still get to shoot at f/2.8 (constant aperture). Your shutter speed, for the same scene can jump to as fast as 1/80s, which is 1 1/3-stops faster.

This can make a difference between whether your friend's minimal movement results in motion blur, or whether your friend looks sharp in your photo.

For this lens, I still can use back the canon kit lens 17-85mm IS f4.. right.
sound like both lens is the same.. I think.....:think:

Correct me if I'm wrong....:sweat:

so you don't NEED to buy any other lens for the moment
how about an external flash or tripod instead

learning what sort of shots you like as well is more important than just being to say " ooh, 500mm in my arsenal". you can have person x with a variety of lenses and focal lengths and a superzoom from 10-500mm with superb optical quality but surely, it would cost a lot and he might not use the whole range all the time.. it is a good to have the whole range but is it justifiable in terms of price?

discovering your shooting style BEFORE committing to any lens, unless you have very huge financial capability is a key thing to do.

for quality and reliability, i would say sigma and tamron are pretty on par. do you really need a superzoom? it is tempting but note that optical quality across the range, as well as distortion control, etc.. will definitely lose out because it has such a varied range.

Here's something to think about:

Focal length coverage isn't everything. When I started out, I learnt quickly how handy a fast lens (fast because of a large aperture opening, that allows fast shutter speeds) comes into play, especially at family/friend gatherings, hanging out with friends etc.

IMHO with your budget, getting the 40D body and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 will give you very good value for money. Though the Tamron 17-50 is of shorter range, the f/2.8 aperture opening is 2/3-stops faster than the 18-200 or 28-300 at the wide end, and more than two stops faster than the abovementioned lenses at the long end.

What each stop means is getting twice as much light onto your sensor, which means a shutter speed that's twice as fast. Ok lets assume you are shooting on the Sigma 18-200 OS at 50mm. The maximum aperture should be around f/4.5. Let's just assume I have a shutter speed of 1/30s. Now pick up the Tamron, zoom in to 50mm, and you still get to shoot at f/2.8 (constant aperture). Your shutter speed, for the same scene can jump to as fast as 1/80s, which is 1 1/3-stops faster.

This can make a difference between whether your friend's minimal movement results in motion blur, or whether your friend looks sharp in your photo.

==================
Thanks for your advice..
Now I got the pictures abt the lens.

For Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 bigger aperture.
and Kit 2 17-85 IS F4 is having a small aperture.
But If this case should I just use the kit 2 lens instead?

I would like to have a fast lens for taking shots of my fast moving kid.
at the same time would like to take some shots like example;
Night shots, landscapes, Nature shot, scenery...that abt all I want to shot now.

Mainly I wanted to take shot for my fast moving kid, landscapes, scenery and nature shot.
I know that long range lens the aperture will be smaller compare to those short range lens.

==================
Thanks for your advice..
Now I got the pictures abt the lens.

For Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 bigger aperture.
and Kit 2 17-85 IS F4 is having a small aperture.
But If this case should I just use the kit 2 lens instead?

I would like to have a fast lens for taking shots of my fast moving kid.
at the same time would like to take some shots like example;
Night shots, landscapes, Nature shot, scenery...that abt all I want to shot now.

Mainly I wanted to take shot for my fast moving kid, landscapes, scenery and nature shot.
I know that long range lens the aperture will be smaller compare to those short range lens.

its tough to find a lens that will fit all of the things u will want to shoot. a general zoom will do most of it but not excellent results though. u may want to look at investing your money in a tripod and flash as well other than just getting a lens.

i have used the kit 2 lens and it works well as a general zoom. but if you want something that performs better, you probably need to spend more money.

honestly, don't commit to a superzoom until u know what ur shooting style is or u will end up wasting money.

stick with the kit 1, kit 2 or perhaps the tamron 17-50 first.

============
I also think that way too...
:p

Thanks...

learning what sort of shots you like as well is more important than just being to say " ooh, 500mm in my arsenal". you can have person x with a variety of lenses and focal lengths and a superzoom from 10-500mm with superb optical quality but surely, it would cost a lot and he might not use the whole range all the time.. it is a good to have the whole range but is it justifiable in terms of price?

discovering your shooting style BEFORE committing to any lens, unless you have very huge financial capability is a key thing to do.

for quality and reliability, i would say sigma and tamron are pretty on par. do you really need a superzoom? it is tempting but note that optical quality across the range, as well as distortion control, etc.. will definitely lose out because it has such a varied range.

Ya you are right... may be now I dont need it....
I'm think may be just use the kit 2 lens or just buy the tamorn or Sigma lens.
for both my current needs.

I dont want to have a super zoom, may be just a range of 200mm or less.:dunno:

its tough to find a lens that will fit all of the things u will want to shoot. a general zoom will do most of it but not excellent results though. u may want to look at investing your money in a tripod and flash as well other than just getting a lens.

i have used the kit 2 lens and it works well as a general zoom. but if you want something that performs better, you probably need to spend more money.

Kit 2 lens is good for fast enough to capture my kid movement??

Just visited the shop during lunch time and saw this tripod
I saw the tripod is cost a bomb..!!!

ts3d0091pe7.jpg

Kit 2 lens is good for fast enough to capture my kid movement??

Just visited the shop during lunch time and saw this tripod
I saw the tripod is cost a bomb..!!!

ts3d0091pe7.jpg

honestly, if u need a lens fast enough to capture your kid in action, u need a prime lens. and a fast af on your camera as well.

u in japan now? the price of tripods look reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.