Puzzling EXIF data question for NIkon D3S camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

a-z0-9

Dec 1, 2006
Hi,

I am a bit confused when I looked at my sister-in-law wedding photographer EXIF data. This gentleman wields a Nikon D3S and throughout the day (excluding night), I find his photos ISO in the range of 4 digits e.g. 1600 to 4000. I am a Canon beginner DSLR user, for me I will set something in the low iso range e.g 100 - 800. I know from my research that this full frame camera can go up to very high ISO of 12,800.So did he made a mistake in setting the ISO or is this the standard operating procedure for wedding photographers? Can anyone enlightened me?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am a bit confused when I looked at my sister-in-law wedding photographer EXIF data. This gentleman wields a Nikon D3S and throughout the day (excluding night), I find his photos ISO in the range of 4 digits e.g. 1600 to 4000. I am a Canon beginner DSLR user, for me I will set something in the low iso range e.g 100 - 800. I know from my research that this full frame camera can go up to very high ISO of 12,800.So did he made a mistake in setting the ISO or is this the standard operating procedure for wedding photographers? Can anyone enlightened me?

Thanks!
What was the shutter speed like? It could be that he was just trying to achieve a shutter speed high enough to freeze action. Sometimes even during the day, the lighting conditions can be quite poor, especially when shooting indoors. The D3s is fully capable of producing sharp photos with little noise in those ISO range, so there is nothing wrong technically to shoot in those ISOs.

His shuttle speed range from 1/60 to 1/2500.

His shuttle speed range from 1/60 to 1/2500.
Ah, in that case he was definitely trying to keep a decent shutter speed to prevent camera shake and freeze motion. 1/2500s may be too much, but if he has to shoot in different lighting conditions without much time to change settings, I can understand if he uses high ISOs.

i don't have a d3s but for many events, i'm already using iso range from 1250 to 2000, even with flash. if i did have a d3s, i would definitely be happy to work with an even higher range.

The 3 Nikon fullframe bodies (D3X aside) can work wonders from ISO 1600-6400. I'd seen a couple of shots @ ISO 8000 and 12800, they still look pretty decent. Turning time into B&W makes them look even better with the fine noise in the picture.

This is just my opinion btw, if you like your shots silky smooth, stick to ISO 200~400. I really hope the upcoming replacements from the various pro bodies will have the base ISO at 100 instead of 200.

I usually work between 800-3200 in the day and up to 6400 at night (or indoor situations without flash) on the d3s. In totally dark situations where even the naked eye has problems picking out detail, 12800 is available where it excels.

no so easy to understand one...
you need to shot more to understand more...
seriously...
even if the camera can use high iso...
the picture still might not come out what you like...
so if the picture looks alright... then it is alright...
even how smart the camera P mode is...
there still need some human interference to make the pictures you are seeing...
the smarter camera only makes you looses less shot...
and make the smart guy operating it takes lesser shot to submit his work...
the above is what i think...

Hi,

Thanks!

seriously...

please read cowseye's explanation as above. the D3S is great at high ISO, and a wonderful tool for wedding photography in low-light conditions. your explanation is half-baked.

Hi,

Thanks!

I'm not kidding when I say I've seen people shoot night macro with only a torchlight with no flash and the pictures still come out wellexposed with minimal noise. Also some that shoot ISO 3200 in bright sun light.

ISO settings depend on your usage. and really it will differ with each photographer. Don't have to be bothered why he chose that settings. Just as long you know why you're shooting at e.g. ISO200 in a low light setting, that should be enough liao.

Take a look at his pics. Are they nice?

kei1309 said:
please read cowseye's explanation as above. the D3S is great at high ISO, and a wonderful tool for wedding photography in low-light conditions. your explanation is half-baked.

Can you kindly teach me how to make my reply fully baked?

twisted illusion said:
Can you kindly teach me how to make my reply fully baked?

You can try 100C for 45 mins. I tried that on eggplants and they came out beautifully. Just drizzle some olive oil on top. Yum.

bonrya said:
You can try 100C for 45 mins. I tried that on eggplants and they came out beautifully. Just drizzle some olive oil on top. Yum.

I think your reply OT already

6400 on the d3s should be nice. i m using a d700 and i ll go up to 3200 without much thought and can squeeze 6400 in without much of an issue. the D3s is about a stop better. but when i shoot my own stuff and have the time to be careful with exposure i seldom go past 1600

I think your reply OT already

sar·casm   /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled
[sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Credit : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Back to the topic, setting higher ISO can really be dependent upon the setting that one is shooting in. for example, even during the day, sports photographers may require high shutter to achieve sufficient shutter speed for their needs. as such, it is up to human judgement to decide what level of ISO is appropriate since there is no hard and fast rule. Though most people will set iso as low as possible to preserve image quality.

and sommetimes, people like me just make mistakes. once i set ISO to 1600 when 400 would have suffice. just didn't notice for a hundred shots.

but i tot the forum rules states that OT is not allowed..
no..
this is rule spelt out :-
3. Off-Topic (OT) posts - Please direct all posts not related to Photography to the Kopitiam forum. OT posts will be deleted or moved without noticed if posted in any other forums.

sar·casm   /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled
[sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Credit : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Back to the topic, setting higher ISO can really be dependent upon the setting that one is shooting in. for example, even during the day, sports photographers may require high shutter to achieve sufficient shutter speed for their needs. as such, it is up to human judgement to decide what level of ISO is appropriate since there is no hard and fast rule. Though most people will set iso as low as possible to preserve image quality.

and sommetimes, people like me just make mistakes. once i set ISO to 1600 when 400 would have suffice. just didn't notice for a hundred shots.

twisted illusion said:
seriously...

To be on topic, your reply does not answer the TS's question at all. The TS is asking about why wedding photographers set at such high ISO while he sets at a lower range. Is this setting correct? What you answer does not even answer half the question.

To the TS, wedding venues are usually dark and to capture the ambient light you would need a higher ISO range. If not you would just get the subjects lit up by the flash and a dark background. Also, full frame cameras performs better at high ISO than cropped frames, that's why they can boost the ISO without worrying about the noise issue. The setting is not wrong:)

If I were forced to take a standpoint I wouldn't consider anything "wrong".
I also shoot at ISO 3200 quite regularly, sometimes even higher so I don't see anything weird with it.

If I were to find anything "wrong" though, it would be the need for a shutter speed of 1/2500s. For a wedding, I find it rather absurd. Whatever the photographer was trying do, I cannot figure out. But I don't wish to judge either, perhaps he has something else up his sleeve?

One thing I have learnt from this thread though - it might be wise to wipe my EXIF info before handing it to the consumer.

i can accept your writings... well said and easy to understand...
most importantly.. it is kind easy to digest and polite...
your previous post to me was really i think not correct... but its over... as you can see the moderator catchlights remove them...
but i also would like to inform to TS as per my thinking..
bcos i personally i think even setting higher iso, the result of what TS see...
and what the TS might get will be different... we cannot dont ignore this possibilites...
just by boosting the iso to higher, the result could be grainy face and well expose background due to the metering by the camera...
one reason could be the lens focal length use or the position of the person away from the camera...
example if metering based on af point is used, and the af point covered the whole face of the subject...
this could result in grainy face... right... my experience told me so...
then we need to switch to matrix metering or spot with a slight bigger diameter (D7000 can set this)...
then with or without higher iso, the result will or should be better...
that i why i requested the TS to shot more... till date, i think i never even explore more than 10% of my D7000 settable settings...
and still picking up bites and pieces here and there every weekend...
that is why i come in here to read... as well as practice in the weekend...
cheers...
am i also think the forum could be a better place if words typed are less harsh...
as words are harder to digest than spoken...
peace...

To be on topic, your reply does not answer the TS's question at all. The TS is asking about why wedding photographers set at such high ISO while he sets at a lower range. Is this setting correct? What you answer does not even answer half the question.

To the TS, wedding venues are usually dark and to capture the ambient light you would need a higher ISO range. If not you would just get the subjects lit up by the flash and a dark background. Also, full frame cameras performs better at high ISO than cropped frames, that's why they can boost the ISO without worrying about the noise issue. The setting is not wrong:)

If I were forced to take a standpoint I wouldn't consider anything "wrong".
I also shoot at ISO 3200 quite regularly, sometimes even higher so I don't see anything weird with it.

If I were to find anything "wrong" though, it would be the need for a shutter speed of 1/2500s. For a wedding, I find it rather absurd. Whatever the photographer was trying do, I cannot figure out. But I don't wish to judge either, perhaps he has something else up his sleeve?

One thing I have learnt from this thread though - it might be wise to wipe my EXIF info before handing it to the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.