Putting Polarizing Filter on top of UV Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeXy2i

Sep 6, 2007
I am still relatively new to photography. Is it advisable to put a polarizing filter on top of a UV filter?
Will there be any undesirable effects?
Thanks!

Doing this may cause vignetting. Furthermore, introduction of more optical elements degrade the image quality. It is always better to use only one filter at most.

As the polarizing filter is made up of 2 pieces of glasses, you may want to remove the UV filter . I found that it usually cause vignetting at wide angle when i stack the the CPL on top of the UV filter.

If your CPL is thin enough, no vignetting will occur. I stack my CPL on my UV and I dun get vignetting at 28mm

But the THIN CP-L's are very expensive.. removing the UV is a much more economical choice.

But the THIN CP-L's are very expensive.. removing the UV is a much more economical choice.

that would depends on what brand... Marumi DHG CPL which is as thin as a normal Hoya UV Filter is only about S$95+ including shipping for 77mm, their 82mm are just slightly over S$100

But well, its still advisable not to stack filters

I see! Thanks all for the advice! ;)
But i am scared of dust getting onto the lens if i keep changing filters..

I am still relatively new to photography. Is it advisable to put a polarizing filter on top of a UV filter?
Will there be any undesirable effects?
Thanks!

no

1) increase chance of vignetting - i.e. light fall off from corners
2) increase chance of funny colours, i think, not sure about this but er, try stacking uv with ir and you'll see what i mean
3) increase chance of notsogood quality photos

donch be lazy, just take out the uv filter

dust get on lens, no problem at all
just use lenspen or microfibre cloth after blowing

not even 2 seconds to solve all your dust problems, or even stains

the only thing you should worry about getting on your lens would usually be saltwater from the sea

Dust?

use a good blower.

I used to do that too, putting the polarizer on top of my skylight. My experience is that it causes vignetting at my widest angle, so now I just take a minute or two to remove the skylight first.

Status
Not open for further replies.