Put song/music in .com website, how do go about doing it legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Putting a song/music in a .com website, must i pay the record company a 'song release'? Or is there any free music off the web that can be use in a .com website?

Just to be safe, better use song from obscure artist not represented by the RIAA. :bsmilie:
Or ask someone to play nice piano music and you record it lar..

dreamerz said:
can put midi file...but b aware certain midi file oso protected by copyright...

i think now sharing lyrics also consider piracy already, so maybe even the scores also become a piracy next time... and in due time, its even illegal to use those as your ringtone.

Actually all of the above is an infringement of copyright - there are different copyright matter contained within a song.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i think now sharing lyrics also consider piracy already, so maybe even the scores also become a piracy next time... and in due time, its even illegal to use those as your ringtone.

I think now, you must make your own music and make sure it doesn't sound like someone elses :)

is there such thing as "open source" or "public domain" or "free ware" music which can be put on website?

vince123123 said:
Actually all of the above is an infringement of copyright - there are different copyright matter contained within a song.

Vince, can you please elaborate more on copyright matters within a song?

And is there any websites that have free music to download and use? Something like 'stock music'... MIDI files are ok too. I tried to google it, but all it can show are those illegal websites for people to download MP3 songs..

yup, there is.

indi bands will allow royalty free as they see it as a form of publicity.
lower quality. then they release proper album with video or stuff to value add.
doesn't happen in asia though.

They are plenty of stock music, sound effects CDs which the film or creativity industry uses for their work. However, like stock photographs, they are not exactly cheap and it's difficult to sample the music first since most of them are ordered off catalogues.

Alternatively, you can check out the following organisations to enquire on the usage of copyrighted music on your website.

http://www.compass.org.sg
They deal with performances and broadcasts of copyrighted music in public access areas.

http://www.mps.org.sg/
They deal with commercial use of copyrighted music in advertisement, drama. etc etc.

It's hard to categorize what websites comes under, but I think it will be MPS since they deal with commercial uses. You can send them an email to find out. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the great info, Prismatic.

Zann! How are you doing now? Remember me? Daniel? Rings a bell? ;)
So anywhere i can find contacts to indi bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.