Pushing Provia 400 to 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, OT here. But push ISO400 to ISO800, what does this do to your photos? Increase shutter speed? U are rating the film as faster than it actually is, won't u get underexposed shots? ISO400 to ISO800 is like -1 stop? Sorry I dun know nothing about these things......

Hmm... Dunno? Maybe it is used for the system's metering. To over-write the original ISO speed.. So that the system will calculate the meterings/settings according to the ISO speed that you have defined.. Tehn you will tell the lab assitant to push your photos to ISO 800..

using iso400 push to 800 is pushing one stop. which means u are basically shooting at iso800 then u have to tell the lab to push process at 800.

explanation:
if u are using your biggest f-stop eg. 4.5
and your metered speed is 1/15 (which could be too low for handholding)

using a 400 pushed 800,
gives u 1 stop more to play with so AT THE SAME scenario,
u only need a 1/30 shutter speed to do the same correct exposure.

so pple push film either
1. save cost (800 film harder to find, more ex)
2. no correct iso film at hand

back to kiwitan's question,

I've pushed 400 to 800 ALWAYS.. no problem. everythings the same. (almost) not too visible if the correct metering was used. (ie not toooo underexposed)

safe to push for provia 400.

hope i've helped. of cuz i could be wrong. :D

kiwitan said:
Anyone try using a provia 400 at the ISO800? How is the effect on image/color quality?

Hi

Provia 400 pushes very well to 800. I do it all the time (i hardly shoot Provia 400 at its default speed :p) and my opinion is that while it becomes grainer (of course) colour is not visibly affected and image quality remains high. But i use it mostly on stage / performance lightings which tend to introduce colour casts anyway so that's where my opinion is coming from. u may want to shoot a roll and try it for yourself.

u gotta watch out for the shadow areas though if u're shooting in dark conditions (which is presumably why u are pushing film in the first place). The shadows tend towards very murky blacks. Normally i try to overexpose a bit and sacrifice some highlights, if the scene is not too overly contrasty. Sometimes i shoot at ISO 640 and push the film to 800. (i do that more often for Kodak E200 pushed to 800)

if the scene is too contrasty (dark stage with spotlights) u'll lose detail in the shadows for sure. So u may want to consider negative film for those situations - can't always use slides all the time :)

As long as ur metering is fine things should work out.

Red Dawn said:
Hi

Provia 400 pushes very well to 800. I do it all the time (i hardly shoot Provia 400 at its default speed :p) and my opinion is that while it becomes grainer (of course) colour is not visibly affected and image quality remains high. But i use it mostly on stage / performance lightings which tend to introduce colour casts anyway so that's where my opinion is coming from. u may want to shoot a roll and try it for yourself.

u gotta watch out for the shadow areas though if u're shooting in dark conditions (which is presumably why u are pushing film in the first place). The shadows tend towards very murky blacks. Normally i try to overexpose a bit and sacrifice some highlights, if the scene is not too overly contrasty. Sometimes i shoot at ISO 640 and push the film to 800. (i do that more often for Kodak E200 pushed to 800)

if the scene is too contrasty (dark stage with spotlights) u'll lose detail in the shadows for sure. So u may want to consider negative film for those situations - can't always use slides all the time :)

As long as ur metering is fine things should work out.

The biggest problem is aways the metering isn't??! There in lies the crux of photograhy..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.