Push Dull looking RAW image to vibration color

pete2322

Oct 8, 2009
I noticed that the RAW images are dull. If view from the RAW file it's not really that dull but once converted from either Photoshop thru Camera RAW or Canon DPP, and then uploaded to the web it looked dull.

Thus, what do you normally do to push the color to make it more vibrant and colorful?

I've tried to push the Saturation slider but the image become redder.

I noticed that the RAW images are dull. If view from the RAW file it's not really that dull but once converted from either Photoshop thru Camera RAW or Canon DPP, and then uploaded to the web it looked dull.

Thus, what do you normally do to push the color to make it more vibrant and colorful?

Hello, pete2322.
Can you post an example?
I am sure there are many experienced CSers here who can offer suggestions.

when using Adobe to process Raw, by default in the Camera Profile is Adobe. Change it to Standard or Potrait. It might help.

Adjusting the curve to a gentle "S" would bring out the punch.

well.since u stated ur using photoshop,

u could adjust the color temperature to offset the extra redder overcast
pimp up the saturation along with htat. not too much, cause u dun wanna have a fake looking image. maybe if u could upload ur cr2 file somewhere and we could take a look/edit and show u how it is done.

when using Adobe to process Raw, by default in the Camera Profile is Adobe. Change it to Standard or Potrait. It might help.
i think you got colour space and shooting profiles mixed up! ACR uses adobe 1998 as colour space if im not wrong. you will have to change it to sRGB if you are going to upload to the web.

if you are shooting in raw, the shooting profiles (neutral, faithful, portrait, etc) won't have an effect on your pictures. those profiles are used only for jpgs processed in-camera

Push Dull looking RAW image to vibration color

omg that sounds like a totally new colorspace!

well.since u stated ur using photoshop,

u could adjust the color temperature to offset the extra redder overcast
pimp up the saturation along with htat. not too much, cause u dun wanna have a fake looking image. maybe if u could upload ur cr2 file somewhere and we could take a look/edit and show u how it is done.

I cannot open the cr 2 file in photoshop, so I had to install the software in the canon CD, then switch from there to photoshop, which is so troublesome...
And the worse thing is what I did in PS is not saved.

what went wrong? pls advise...

sorry, never shoot raw before ;p

I cannot open the cr 2 file in photoshop, so I had to install the software in the canon CD, then switch from there to photoshop, which is so troublesome...
And the worse thing is what I did in PS is not saved.

what went wrong? pls advise...

sorry, never shoot raw before ;p

Try checking if there are updates for your photoshop.

Try checking if there are updates for your photoshop.

we need to install the camera raw plug in right?

what you guys normally do with the raw file? I was so impatient with it that I've converted all to jpeg without doing anything. haha...

do you use any "lighter" program to view the raw before editing?

we need to install the camera raw plug in right?

what you guys normally do with the raw file? I was so impatient with it that I've converted all to jpeg without doing anything. haha...

do you use any "lighter" program to view the raw before editing?

The camera raw plug-in is needed. I usually use canon DPP to view the the photos before I select the ones I wish to work on.

The camera raw plug-in is needed. I usually use canon DPP to view the the photos before I select the ones I wish to work on.

but that program is a little heavy and slow :(. Any other options?

oh and the pics i shoot in raw r normally so noisy :(. But I guess it is user's problem :cry:

but that program is a little heavy and slow :(. Any other options?

oh and the pics i shoot in raw r normally so noisy :(. But I guess it is user's problem :cry:

Hmm... DPP works really fast for me.

As for the noise, its a combination of your camera model and ISO. Guess you need to figure out your tolerant level and lower the ISO accordingly. But as as mentioned, a noisy picture might be better than a blur picture.

Hmm... DPP works really fast for me.

As for the noise, its a combination of your camera model and ISO. Guess you need to figure out your tolerant level and lower the ISO accordingly. But as as mentioned, a noisy picture might be better than a blur picture.

sigh.... yea...

and what you normally change in RAW?

oh, thanks for your advice :)

Last edited:
My RAW workflow:

1) Open in PS
2) Tweak Exposure (i tend to shoot roughly 1 stop underexposed for RAW to retain details)
3) Saturation
4) Vibrance
5) Temperature

My RAW workflow:

1) Open in PS
2) Tweak Exposure (i tend to shoot roughly 1 stop underexposed for RAW to retain details)
3) Saturation
4) Vibrance
5) Temperature

thanks for sharing! :). let me try again.

Full version of photoshop will include Adobe Bridge(or somethingy), latest update allows reading of the newer Canon RAWs, go take a look.

My simple workflow:
Shoot
Via DPP: Select, exposure correct, white balance, contrast/saturation, tweak color if needed.
Then export to JPEG, open in GIMP and add a border and signature.

Upload, and you're done.

Full version of photoshop will include Adobe Bridge(or somethingy), latest update allows reading of the newer Canon RAWs, go take a look.

My simple workflow:
Shoot
Via DPP: Select, exposure correct, white balance, contrast/saturation, tweak color if needed.
Then export to JPEG, open in GIMP and add a border and signature.

Upload, and you're done.

how to install Camera Raw? I just managed to download it from cnet :(. the files from adobe.com all updater only. how come?