Pursuing Studies in Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtcy

Mar 27, 2006
Need some advice pls...

I'm hoping to do a course (dip / degree) in Photography but I can't seem to find any in Singapore. Does anyone here happens to know of any local institution offering this?

And as for short courses...I came across quite many places offering short photography courses but am not sure which is better. Anyone been on such courses able to offer inputs on this?

Thanks.

Need some advice pls...

I'm hoping to do a course (dip / degree) in Photography but I can't seem to find any in Singapore. Does anyone here happens to know of any local institution offering this?

And as for short courses...I came across quite many places offering short photography courses but am not sure which is better. Anyone been on such courses able to offer inputs on this?

Thanks.

currently in singapore...there are no such courses i believe becuz i tried looking up also...the other only nearest place that I know is at Curtin Uni of Australia...

hi Sam,

care to elaborate why are u keen to pursue a formal education in photography?

cus, i'd assume most ppl would rather shoot, do PP, play w camera rather than do extensive research on history, its evolvement, different styles... ...

Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts provide Diploma in Visual Communication majoring in Photography. it's a full time 3 years course.

hi Sam,

care to elaborate why are u keen to pursue a formal education in photography?

cus, i'd assume most ppl would rather shoot, do PP, play w camera rather than do extensive research on history, its evolvement, different styles... ...

Some take photography seriously...so deres no reason why yu cant be an 'expert' of photography rite? :)

What do you actually learn in these courses? Besides history of cameras which someone pointed out.... Learn to shoot different genres? or how the camera works?

What do you actually learn in these courses? Besides history of cameras which someone pointed out.... Learn to shoot different genres? or how the camera works?

and yu recieve a degree...for layman, dey see ur papers...its better in helping u get assignments and all... :)

Last edited:
Hmm...I didnt know that photography degrees mainly touches on Theory and background of photography stuffs...I thought they will be more comprehensive in terms of practical skills rather than me going on many different short courses...

I wanted to learn more technical aspect of photography especially usage of flash in indoors events...

Hmm...I didnt know that photography degrees mainly touches on Theory and background of photography stuffs...I thought they will be more comprehensive in terms of practical skills rather than me going on many different short courses...

I wanted to learn more technical aspect of photography especially usage of flash in indoors events...

oh...well yu will learn different styles of photography and theoratical stuff...but if yu just wanna learn technical aspect of photography especially usage of flash in indoors events den yu can learn at Knowledge Bowl Training & Consultancy: http://www.knowledgebowl.com.sg/photography.html

first, i must admit that i ve no concrete idea wats taught in dip/degree photography courses.

but, say dip/degree in business admin, a good broad based course will include human behaviour, accountancy, taxation, organisational structure, strategy... ...

also, having a dip/degree in photography will not guarantee u a better photography. jus like someone w MBA may be worst off than the avg hawker when it comes to making something profitable.

for your need, i'd assume short specific courses may be more suitable.

but, if u are really serious abt studio lighting, i'd suggest singaporecolour.org

as a form of goodwill, sign up as a member. and on studio lighting days, go down early and observe how the lightings and props are set up. the ppl there knows wat they are doing.

There is a deg course in art photography in laselle. Hope this info helps. :)

There is. ADM in NTU try seraching for it it's actually a media and design school but you can choose to specialize in vid and also photography.

Thanks everyone for the advices...

I will go check those places out.

I think Nafa's course seemed to be a tad too theory-based...

I'm having problems accessing the NTU's page since this morning..will try again tomorrow.

temasek poly, under visual communications, major in photography. but its a 3 year course.

You learn a lot more than just technical skills. You learn how to create art, not just take pictures. Elements of design, colour management, etc.

hmm... i'm in ADM in NTU majoring photography...

well.. you dont expect to learn all the technicalities of photography here..
here, as well as most art schools, focuses more on your thinking, ie Why u take that picture.. the meaning behind your pictures, rather than how sharp is your lens, did u expose it correctly, your composition okay or not etc..

not that you will not learn the technicalities, but not so much and the lecturers themselves will not even know as much as some studies do! hahah.. sounds scary.. but in an art school, no picture "sucks" or is wrong..

well, adm has the equipment la.. and quite good stuff they have.. eagerly waiting to use them.. i only have access to those simple film cams and Dslr.. sad sad.. haha..

hahah.. sounds scary.. but in an art school, no picture "sucks" or is wrong..

gosh.

so it means that after shooting something, the student writes a 3000 words scholarly essay explaining why the pic is shot as it is, and not oterwise, quoting from at least 30 other scholarly publications and books.

and the lecturer gives him a grade, but not before writing a 500 words explaination to justify the decision.

of course, the student can appeal w another even longer and more "cheam" essay... ...

jus joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.