Purpose of macro flashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Feb 1, 2002
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
I've read about some of these flashes but would like to ask if anyone knows the exact role of these flashes in macro photography. Does anyone have any examples of the results achievable with these?

Ring flash: even lighting and minimal shadows

Grid spot: spotlight effect?

Strip light: ?

I've read about some of these flashes but would like to ask if anyone knows the exact role of these flashes in macro photography. Does anyone have any examples of the results achievable with these?

Ring flash: even lighting and minimal shadows

Grid spot: spotlight effect?

Strip light: ?

I guess a search in CS and Google will give you the information you need.

Exactly. I found all these instructions on strobist, but cannot find examples of what the strip light can do. The grid spot examples also show a narrow concentrated beam. Is this the intended effect? Need to find more examples to confirm this.

Exactly. I found all these instructions on strobist, but cannot find examples of what the strip light can do. The grid spot examples also show a narrow concentrated beam. Is this the intended effect? Need to find more examples to confirm this.

The second article has mentioned that it's a form of snoot. So all it does is to concentrate the light to a narrow beam instead of allowing it to spread like normally. Note that this will be more pronounced when you are using the flash off the camera.

It's best to experiment with the lighting to be able to understand better...

Status
Not open for further replies.