Purpose of lens hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDIONN

Jun 23, 2010
Hey guys, I'm not really sure what are the purposes of a lens hood besides just protecting the lens itself. Come and share with me..

Hey guys, I'm not really sure what are the purposes of a lens hood besides just protecting the lens itself. Come and share with me..

The purpose of a lens hood is to prevent flare, which can seriously degrade the image quality of photographic lenses.

The purpose is to make the lens look longer, so looks more pro.

Lens hood also can prevent unwanted light rays from entering the lens and hence reduce lens glare and ghost images.

Pls Google this.

I think, maybe it's like you wear a cap? If you scared lens becomes too hot, then put on lens hood.

You might be interested in this recent CS thread on lens hood.

Very impressive!!!

DSC00001-1.jpg

Haha yea looks cooler and more pro..

Primarily remove FLARE .. avoids Stray Light.
Secondarily.. save the lens to certain extend acting as crumple zone.

Lens hood also can prevent unwanted light rays from entering the lens and hence reduce lens glare and ghost images.

Primarily remove FLARE .. avoids Stray Light.
Secondarily.. save the lens to certain extend acting as crumple zone.

but there are people who want flare, so they opt for a lens hood that is not optimize for the lens.

The hood can also provide some physical protectection of the front elements in case you accidentally hit the lens against something.

not all lenses can use the same hood.

some dont even need coz will end up with vignetting.

check with the manufacturer the exact, correct hood.

cheers.

shield the front element from stray sources of light which can cause flare..

can also make yhour lens look bigger and you can feel more pro :bsmilie:

The purpose is to make the lens look longer, so looks more pro.
I think most of the replies agree with this one. :thumbsup::thumbsup::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Think the sad truth nwadays is ppl use it to look more pro than to shield off strong light intensity that invites flare/protect their front element..

Got a friend once ask me :
Fren : Hw to use CPL arh?
NNB : Remove ur hood/UV, and screw in front of ur filter thread and rotate, u noe can saturate sky and remove reflection tis n tt...
Fren : Arh, u mean mus remove Hood then can use meh, aiyoh, lidat, not pro liao leh.. Think nt need CPL la.. mus take out hood, sian..
NNB : ..... ..... ..... .... .....

:sweat::sweat::sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.