Purchasing Camera from Malaysia

hyori

Mar 14, 2007
Does anyone have recommendation for Camera Photoshop like SG MSColor, TK Photo etc? It seems that with the low exchange rate now, its a good buy to buy in JB

i only heard of shinshaki (online shop).

tried seeking a price quote from johan photo & electronics from their facebook page. the price is about $100-200 cheaper then sg

Plaza Angsana in Tampoi along Skudai. level 4 Johan Photo. Look for boss Anthony. They have a facebook page also. There is also another shop named Mee Too photo on level 2, boss is Mr Sim (father and son).

Better check prices first, its been a while since I was there, and now Malaysia GST is now in full force.

Last edited:
Plaza Angsana in Tampoi along Skudai. level 4 Johan Photo. Look for boss Anthony. They have a facebook page also. There is also another shop named Mee Too photo on level 2, boss is Mr Sim (father and son). Better check prices first, its been a while since I was there, and now Malaysia GST is now in full force.

Yes. Do give them a call to verify pricing. Was in Penang and KL in March and the prices they offered were not as attractive as HK. Think prices are worse now with GST.

i manage to get a quote from Johan at only MYR 3300 ! isn't that a steal? hmmm

oops my bad! fujifilm XT-1 Body

Yes. Do give them a call to verify pricing. Was in Penang and KL in March and the prices they offered were not as attractive as HK. Think prices are worse now with GST.

KL prices is cheaper than Singapore before their GST started,but ofcourse u can't compare with HK.but don't forget to take into consideration the cost of travel,unless u are in HK for holiday or work. Moreover Malaysia is nearer should the goods have any defects. Now I heard that price are still cheaper than Singapore with GST and the exchange rates are higher for us now.

For air travelers gst refund can be obtained. But not sure if those shops selling at street prices are able to do the refund

even if i travel to KL for a day and come back same day.. can get refund?

Not sure, u gotta check their website

even if i travel to KL for a day and come back same day.. can get refund?

No refund... Given that you will pretty much spend above the single day allowance.

Let me give you some ideas..

Most people who buy from JB would typically not want to pay gst. If you pay GST the resulting saving might not be really worth the trip.

So What not to do
1) Don't carry the box with the lens in it over the custom just like that ...you might get caught and get fined. If proven guilty you might be made to pay gst best case ... Worst case is you pay a fine of 10 x gst.

What you should do
1) Either disposed of the boxes and "used" your camera ....

Or

2) flatten the box and pass to your friend out of sight... and u hold on to the camera.

3) Try not to make you way back on Sat Sunday peak hours like (6-8pm) where there are more officers stationing at the x-ray machines.

Like what the others have said .. Go plaza angsana and visit meetoo photo and Johan photo. It is possible to get undated receipt from them ... It helps if the item you are buying has international warranty e.g. Nikon lens. But be careful of carry huge amount of cash around in JB.

Last edited:
For whatever you are buying ... Give Johan or meetoo a call to ensure they have stock and to confirm price.

My experience is Johan typically has better price.

Also if you happen to know the street price of the lens or camera, it is even possible to quote these street price at other shops ... Even those at citi square and get a decent price for them.

Last edited:
KL prices is cheaper than Singapore before their GST started,but ofcourse u can't compare with HK.but don't forget to take into consideration the cost of travel,unless u are in HK for holiday or work. Moreover Malaysia is nearer should the goods have any defects. Now I heard that price are still cheaper than Singapore with GST and the exchange rates are higher for us now.

Work brings me to KL and HK quite regularly... :)

No refund... Given that you will pretty much spend above the single day allowance.

Let me give you some ideas..

Most people who buy from JB would typically not want to pay gst. If you pay GST the resulting saving might not be really worth the trip.

So What not to do
1) Don't carry the box with the lens in it over the custom just like that ...you might get caught and get fined. If proven guilty you might be made to pay gst best case ... Worst case is you pay a fine of 10 x gst.

What you should do
1) Either disposed of the boxes and "used" your camera ....

Or

2) flatten the box and pass to your friend out of sight... and u hold on to the camera.

3) Try not to make you way back on Sat Sunday peak hours like (6-8pm) where there are more officers stationing at the x-ray machines.

Like what the others have said .. Go plaza angsana and visit meetoo photo and Johan photo. It is possible to get undated receipt from them ... It helps if the item you are buying has international warranty e.g. Nikon lens. But be careful of carry huge amount of cash around in JB.

Very good advice. the above is for people who don't drive and need to hand carry your stuff back. i have to last minute take out the lenses i bought from the box and throw it away before i q at the customs.

I'm going to HK this month, any recommendation prefer International Warranty.
Getting Lowepro bag or a lens.

I'm going to HK this month, any recommendation prefer International Warranty. Getting Lowepro bag or a lens.
I think SG prices for Lowepro are quite good already
You can check Tin Cheung's website, they do publish their selling prices of various models.

Can consider getting the bags from lazada .... They have discount code which can make the deal cheaper ... For sure ona bags on lazada is cheaper after discount code .. 3 days delivery