Purchasing a Bag

megain

Dec 12, 2010
SengKang
Hello people!(ok I shall just cut to the chase since I don't know how to start nicely):think:
I plan on purchasing a proper camera bag(been using those general purpose kinds(padded) and now it got a hole).
I've been searching the forum and am surprised that there are few(one actually) that posted about this.
My current equipment is just a standard D3100 kit + tripod(in a separate bag). Future maybe + 2-3 lenses.
I realised there are a TON of brands and models for bags and I really don't know where to start, that's why I'm here to seek professional advice. :sweat:
I'm not sure whether to purchase a bag for my current set-up or plan ahead and lug around a bigger one in the hope that I need not spend extra cash once I add more stuff. Hmm I'm also thinking of a few factors:
1. Water/Weather resistant/proof(if it's not too ex)
2. Light
3. Accessible(Like I can quickly take out my camera/lenses without much effort)
4. Cheap
5. Durable(so I do not need to keep buying)
6. Able to carry misc stuff such as an umbrella, water bottle, filters, lens cleaning kit, etc.(So I do not need to carry another bag. too mafan)
7. Sling bag / Backpack style(no preference really, but which is better?)

Budget: As cheap as possible =P
Anyone have any recommendations, do say! I'd love to hear your stories. :)

lowepro fastpack series
thinktank streetwalker series

hi tecnica, thanks for dropping by! :)
Have you used these before? And are all camera bags this heavy?(I checked and they said the specs are 1.4kg-ish)

they're heavy because they offer you good protection for your gear.

hi tecnica, thanks for dropping by! :)
Have you used these before? And are all camera bags this heavy?(I checked and they said the specs are 1.4kg-ish)

i have both, a fastpack 250 and streetwalker pro.

fastpack has easier access to your gears as the gear compartment can be unzipped from the side. on top of the gear compartment is an ad-hoc space for misc items, can fit a jacket too. there is no space for tripod but you can diy by inserting the tripod into the bottle holder by the side and secure it with bicycle hook. if you have a laptop, there is a dedicated space for it.

streetwalker pro is based purely on how you configure the space with dividers provided. there is no ad-hoc space like the fastpack. gear access wise, you definitely need to put the bag down in order to reach for your camera safely. tripod can be held in place with the straps provided. the streetwalker pro can hold much more stuffs than the fastpack and the overall built is better plus it comes with lifetime warranty. note that the streetwalker pro does not hold a laptop, unless you go for the hard drive version.

weight of the bag differs between people. i don't feel that they are heavy because by the time my gears fill the bag, the weight of the bag will kinda be neglected already as the camera and lenses are much much heavier.

It depends on your needs.

For casual uses, I have both a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home and 7 Million Dollar Home. Both are not terribly large, and certainly can't hold all my equipment. But I like to just plan it right and carry the necessary lenses. In fact, plan it right and you can just sling the camera over your neck with just one light prime attached to it.

For demanding overseas assignments where I need everything I have, I favor backpacks, such as those by Think Tank, although there are many brands. Backpacks make it more difficult to retrieve your lenses, but you can pack on and have the weight on both your shoulders.

The thing with camera bags is that there probably isn't a perfect one (like most things in life) Just purchase one that you like and don't look back. There's always another bag that is cheaper, cooler, more nifty, has more storage space, better design etc.

icic. I think I'm quite attracted by the fastpack 250. Any recommendations on where can I get one? Should I try getting a 2nd hand one?

Water resist/proof plus durable plus carry additional stuff plus also light is not easy. With those qualities bag will get heavier.

And adding cheap to the criteria, becomes very hard.

Last edited:
megain said:
icic. I think I'm quite attracted by the fastpack 250. Any recommendations on where can I get one? Should I try getting a 2nd hand one?

I'm using a fp250 too, so far so good, got no issue with the weight, able to fit in body with lens, and 3-4 more lens, top compartment will put some personal stuff and x10

megain said:

I think it is usually not that easy to get a specific model 2nd hand. If you don't mind the fact that it is 2nd hand, and have the time to look, why not?

megain said:

I usually won't get 2nd hand bags, there's always the smell and hygiene factor, especially with backpacks.

I usually won't get 2nd hand bags, there's always the smell and hygiene factor, especially with backpacks.

wow good point. Never thought of that.

@sjackal haha but it sounds like the perfect bag right? Lol I want it cheap because I want to spend me money elsewhere(filter, new lens, software)

But it seems like the consensus is a fp250? k I think I'll eye for that. Any idea where I can get it from?

Thanks for the inputs! (anyone want to recommend others, feel free!) :D

Besides the function of the bag to protect and hold your equipment, don't neglect how it looks as well.
If the bag looks just okay only, you are likely to consider others with much better design in the future. (Spend more money... ...)
In addition, you might also wish to consider looking for bags that don't stand out. You wouldn't want those that scream, "Hey, I have expensive stuff in here, come steal me"

Just to expand the idea of the choices available, you may not need to actually get a camera bag. Get a normal one and put camera inserts in. Even though it may not provide as much protection as the bags made for cameras, it provides you with more flexibility (future lenses, gears and as well as days in which you don't wanna carry a camera).

Some bags do not have complete coverage at both ends at top of the bags
allowing water and dirt to enter through the openings.

Last edited:
Hmm it's true that design is a factor, but I'm quite a practical guy so if it works, im fine. But if the design compromises the safety of the equipment then of course I'll consider a less 'flashy' design.

Err henry, what do you mean by they 'do not have complete coverage at botr ends at top of the bags'?
Thanks again for your advice! :D

To be honest, my fastpack looks cheap(due to the thinner paddings) when sitting beside my streetwalker pro. Then again, put both beside my hadley pro, both backpacks pale in comparison also.

I will actually recommend the streetwalker series. The built is very good, the padding is very comfortable and the support is better. When I use my fastpack, my shoulders ache a lot but with streetwalker pro, my shoulder don't ache that much.

And to add on further, a one bag setup is quite difficult, because you bring different stuffs on different occasions. So likely in future, you will purchase another bag for lighter setup.

Last edited:
To be honest, my fastpack looks cheap(due to the thinner paddings) when sitting beside my streetwalker pro. Then again, put both beside my hadley pro, both backpacks pale in comparison also.

I will actually recommend the streetwalker series. The built is very good, the padding is very comfortable and the support is better. When I use my fastpack, my shoulders ache a lot but with streetwalker pro, my shoulder don't ache that much.

And to add on further, a one bag setup is quite difficult, because you bring different stuffs on different occasions. So likely in future, you will purchase another bag for lighter setup.

Agreed.

Sold my fastback really quick. The ergonomics not good. The whole idea of fast draw to shoot is more of a marketing idea.

The Streetwalker HD is my one of my best bag. I was tempted to buy another one, but will wait for V2 since I already got one.

And its embarrassing to say I probably owned more camera bags than some girls own handbags.

Currently have 8 bags, not including another 5 for tripods and lightstands, and not including 2 belt systems. Used to have more.

There is no one bag that does all.

sjackal said:
Agreed.

Sold my fastback really quick. The ergonomics not good. The whole idea of fast draw to shoot is more of a marketing idea.

The Streetwalker HD is my one of my best bag. I was tempted to buy another one, but will wait for V2 since I already got one.

And its embarrassing to say I probably owned more camera bags than some girls own handbags.

Currently have 8 bags, not including another 5 for tripods and lightstands, and not including 2 belt systems. Used to have more.

There is no one bag that does all.

Yes, fastback is crap. Thin and it won't help your shoulders at all

lolol once I said I'm looking for the fast pack everyone gives the other side. Thanks for the unbiased comments!
Since I'm pretty new with this bag thing, I'm quite easily swayed by the comments so I'm now siding with the Streetwalker. o_O
Still I have the qn, where's the best place I can buy these? I've only frequented TK but they only host ThinkTank. hmm