Purchase of prosumer cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowyn

May 15, 2007
Hi all,

I need some help here. Looking around urgently for a prosumer camera (1st/2nd hand) to bring overseas for 1.5years. Wish to take up photography there. But don't really know which model I should choose and what to look out for. Been doing some research for the past couple of days but am left with a greater headache. haha.

1) Price (ard $500), 2) image quality on computer and 3) learning photography with the camera are 3 main factors I'm looking out for. I wouldn't want a PnS camera.

Here are some models recommended to me... Panasonic Tz-2, Fuji S700 and Canon G6/7. Perhaps those who have used them could give me some advice on these models, as well as stuff I should take note when buying a cam? Would really appreciate it loads.

Thanks and regards!

hi jo,

Welcome to the club:) guess i'm the first to reply to your thread... i'm trying to see what you need with your requirements..

1) Price (ard $500), <--- first hand prosumer... this might be a little low but 2nd hand you should have no problems.

2) image quality on computer <--- most prosumer have noisy pictures when expanded to 100% on computer screen. depending on the type of pictures you take... most macro and closeup shots should be ok... but shots taken from afar usually are "noisier".

3) learning photography with the camera are 3 main factors I'm looking out for. <-- :lovegrin:
I wouldn't want a PnS camera. <--- erm... a prosumer is a point and shoot... with more control...

i'm not sure if the models you're looking at are due to cost or you've already done your research already.

But do read some online reviews on them. And since you're a lady i'm not sure if weight and bulk is on your mind.

Some prosumer such as canon S5IS, Panasonic FZ8 & 18, Fuji finpix S8000fd are examples of great prosumers... they allow pretty much control of the camera.

However if you intend to view it at 100% on your computer screen... you may get a little fustrated looking at those grains after a while... you need to decide which is more important to you.

Fuji S9600 is my top choice. Low noise, 28-300mm, dSLR like controls, video capable, tiltable screen, accepts CF and xD cards, and best of all -- uses AA batteries!

Sure things. Thanks for the enlightenment, much appreciated! I'll continue with my research for now :)

With $500 you shouldn't have much hassle getting a 2nd hand prosumer. Personally I'd prefer Canon G series, tack sharp photos and strong on functions you can seldom take bad pictures with it. But nowadays, most consumer cams have manual shooting functions anyway.

Fuji S9600 is my top choice. Low noise, 28-300mm, dSLR like controls, video capable, tiltable screen, accepts CF and xD cards, and best of all -- uses AA batteries!

ya totally agree.. i jus sold off my S9500, somewhat reluctantly, cos it is a very capable prosumer cam, but it didnt make sense for me to keep so many cams at home. The EVF is quite bright n sharp, making it a joy to use at night, compared to squinting thru a normal viewfinder of a DSLR. Only bad thing is that it's pretty slow, so there's no way u can use it for action/wedding/event shots. The burst mode is almost non-existent, it will shoot 4 shots, then u gota wait quite long for the cam to save it on the CF card. xD cards are marginally faster though. But if speed is not an issue, then by all means consider Fuji cameras..
;)

I just went Sim Lim today. Apparently, Fuji Finepix S6000 and S9000 odd series aren't in stock at a couple of shops. Most retailers recommended me the newest model S5700 in favour of other brands like Canon and Panasonic. I'm offered around $350 for it. I haven't read up on S5700 thou. Sounds like a good deal so far. Hhmm... any advice fr gurus? :)

I wouldn't even consider the tz-series as prosumer since they doesn't offer aperture or shutter mode... for pana prosumer, its either the lx or fz series.

I just went Sim Lim today. Apparently, Fuji Finepix S6000 and S9000 odd series aren't in stock at a couple of shops. Most retailers recommended me the newest model S5700 in favour of other brands like Canon and Panasonic. I'm offered around $350 for it. I haven't read up on S5700 thou. Sounds like a good deal so far. Hhmm... any advice fr gurus? :)

Jo, my take is that you've done your research for a few cameras already. Stick to those you have decided when you go around scouting for the price. Do NOT allow the sales person to affect your decision :nono: and get another model without researching :eek:... you might end up regreting it... all sales person work on a certain percent of commission. if that particular model will earn them more commission. you can bet that they will try and push for that "eventually". :thumbsup:

Hope you get your perfect camera soon

Yes, you are right viewwing. I will indeed make my decision soon. :)

Thanx to all for your invaluable advice. I have kept them in mind. Have a great weekend!!

Saw someone selling an Olympus E-500 with kit lens for 550 (DSLR).
Also a Canon Pro-1 (prosumer) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.