punggol marina

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirschrot

Dec 20, 2005
hallo, i've lurked here for a while but never really posted because i feel slightly out of the league. anyway i've decided to come out of my shell!

20060619121128_img_040xx.jpg

comments and critique are welcomed! :)

i can't understand the blurring strips. it's not a good frame compositionally, not too sure what you're focussing on.

I like the colour of the lights in the background (think it's Johore) and the purple sky effect. But the blur lines I cannot understand. Also the near lights are too glaring...maybe cut down on exposure time?

My two cents.

cheers

As he moves closer to the marina, his dreamy eyes only see one thing. The yatch of his dreams... The lights illuminating it become blurrer and blurrer...

I am very captured by the yatch and the reflections!

Yet the intended blurring and lamp posts are perhaps catastrophical mistake, you might want to consider re-taking without the lamp posts and without the blurring effect.

I am sure the yatch and reflection (this colour scheme that is), are majestic.

thanks everyone for the feedback ^^ i really appreciate it!

eikin said:
i can't understand the blurring strips. it's not a good frame compositionally, not too sure what you're focussing on.
i really was going for 15seconds of the mystique and stillness in there for the night...i'm not an object oriented type of person, my subject is more often scene than any singular thing; you might want to tell me why it isn't a good composition or an alternative one, i'm curious... the blur? my explanation is: dustbin on the right was killing everything and cropping was not an option for me (would've unbalanced my composotion IMO)

DarNikon said:
I like the colour of the lights in the background (think it's Johore) and the purple sky effect. But the blur lines I cannot understand. Also the near lights are too glaring...maybe cut down on exposure time?
noted....thank you, i was being very very greedy with the exposure! :)
and also, i don't know where it's from, me and my sisters spent a while guessing hehe

panzerpunk said:
As he moves closer to the marina, his dreamy eyes only see one thing. The yatch of his dreams... The lights illuminating it become blurrer and blurrer...
:bsmilie: if you replace the pronoun with 'she', that's pretty much what it was for me;O

[QUOTE="Slivester]I am very captured by the yatch and the reflections!
Yet the intended blurring and lamp posts are perhaps catastrophical mistake, you might want to consider re-taking without the lamp posts and without the blurring effect.
I am sure the yatch and reflection (this colour scheme that is), are majestic.][/QUOTE]

thanks silvester, i'll look into this again! ^^

kirschrot said:
hallo, i've lurked here for a while but never really posted because i feel slightly out of the league. anyway i've decided to come out of my shell!

20060619121128_img_040xx.jpg

comments and critique are welcomed! :)

nice shoot bro

thanks eloo...i'm a girl:p

ndroo said:
I got my ass kicked there once by the security guard :( Lucky you, pretty neat shot too
hahahaha yeah, probably cos it was 3 am at night :bsmilie: no security guard in the house!

benedium said:
If the profile is reliable, this 'bro' is a lady :bsmilie:

:p indeed i am ^^

kirschrot said:
i really was going for 15seconds of the mystique and stillness in there for the night...i'm not an object oriented type of person, my subject is more often scene than any singular thing; you might want to tell me why it isn't a good composition or an alternative one, i'm curious... the blur? my explanation is: dustbin on the right was killing everything and cropping was not an option for me (would've unbalanced my composotion IMO)

1. tilted frame

20060619121128_img_040xxA.jpg

you can observe the tilt from the misalignment between objects and their reflections, and from objects that are supposedly standing quite straight.

2. relationship

20060619121128_img_040xxB.jpg

as much as you do not want to focus on objects, the yatch and the bursting lights are obviously fighting for attention, with little to do with each other. there's no meaningful relationship between them to make the scene complete. and the blur effect only serves to complicate the scene rather than simplify it.

3. perspective

20060619121128_img_040xxC.jpg

although the converging diagonal lines are attractive as dynamic leading lines, they end abruptly at the line of lamp posts and their bursting lights.

you might want to reshoot the scene.

eikin said:
1. tilted frame

20060619121128_img_040xxA.jpg

you can observe the tilt from the misalignment between objects and their reflections, and from objects that are supposedly standing quite straight.

2. relationship

20060619121128_img_040xxB.jpg

as much as you do not want to focus on objects, the yatch and the bursting lights are obviously fighting for attention, with little to do with each other. there's no meaningful relationship between them to make the scene complete. and the blur effect only serves to complicate the scene rather than simplify it.

3. perspective

20060619121128_img_040xxC.jpg

although the converging diagonal lines are attractive as dynamic leading lines, they end abruptly at the line of lamp posts and their bursting lights.

you might want to reshoot the scene.

ooooooh thank you very much for that elaborate explanation. :) i can see the problem much clearer now, though the truth is i was shooting with no tripod and on slant edge; i think problem 1 and 3 wouldn't have existed if i had a choice as to where to 'mount' my camera. i don't really agree with 2 though. i'll concede that the long exposure and blur have made the lights more of a nuisance than anything but the lights in the distance and closer to the frame present a relationship (to me).

reshoot sounds good :bsmilie:

thank you alot again. this is VERY helpful and i appreciate all the effort you made!!! ^^

Bravo to eikin! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...that's what I call an analysis man! Great !

cheers

The problem is you've picked the wrong time to shoot. In endeavouring to expose the sky and the yachts, you've murdered the whole right hand side of the image. Personally I think the composition is ok, outside of the tilt, but the exposure is really whacked. The softness is just horrendous. IMO, just crop the dustbin away if you didn't like it.

Try shooting at a time when the exposure of the lights is balanced with the exposure of the yachts and the sky.

Honestly, the right hand side is totally destroying what might have been a good image.

Stoned said:
The problem is you've picked the wrong time to shoot. In endeavouring to expose the sky and the yachts, you've murdered the whole right hand side of the image. Personally I think the composition is ok, outside of the tilt, but the exposure is really whacked. The softness is just horrendous. IMO, just crop the dustbin away if you didn't like it.

Try shooting at a time when the exposure of the lights is balanced with the exposure of the yachts and the sky.

Honestly, the right hand side is totally destroying what might have been a good image.

dude! dont tink thats a dustbin, or is it?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.