Pumping Iron anyone? I know this is not a fitness forum

likimikuku

Nov 9, 2007
I know many of CSers here are regular gym member and some body builder here also.

Just to start up this tread to share our thought towards workout and keeping our body healthy, if possible we can also comment on each other workout routine.

Let’s share our journey toward bluffness or may be just fitness.

I started my workout 5 years ago and been training hard to built up my size from 65kg to 76kg , my height is 178 cm tall and to be able to get 76kg is my optimal weight plus I lost my tummy but not getting and ripe abs.

I stop workout 3 years ago, mainly due to the ending of my college life and starting my working hell life. I started to gain weight and by weight I mean fat, I even went to visit my doctor on last November and have my body check. I found out that I have acid urine, hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol and overweight (86kg).

Hence, I jump back to my workout. Started my workout on January and now is almost 1 month pass my training getting some “good” result, gain some strength back, lost some pound/kg (85.6kg + now)

So, here is my workout:

-3 days to 4 days a week, train by part:

Day 1: Shoulder

Behind neck press = 3 sets, 12/10/8 reps, 20kg/30kg/40kg
Dumbbell shoulder press = 3 sets, 10/10/10 reps, 12kg+12kg for all 3 sets
Dumbbell Lateral Raise (one arm) = 3 sets, 12/10/8 reps, 6kg+6kg/7kg+7kg/8kg+8kg
Dumbbell Front Raise = 3 sets, 12/10/8 reps, 6kg+6kg/7kg+7kg/8kg+8kg
Dumbbell Seated Rear Lateral Raise = 3 sets, 12/10/8, 7kg+7kg/8kg+8kg/9kg+9kg

Day 2: Back & Cardio + Abs

Lat Pulldowns = 3 sets, 30/12/8, 20kg/40kg/50kg
1 Arm Dumbbell Row = 3 sets, 12/10/10 reps, 12kg/15kg/15kg
Deadlifts = 3 sets, 10/10/10 reps, 20kg/20kg/20kg
Ads set 1 (with no rest in between)=1 set sit-up x 10reps, 1 set leg raise x 10 reps, 1 set cable (20kg) x 10 reps
Ads set 2, after 1 min from set 1 (with no rest in between)=1 set sit-up x 10reps, 1 set leg raise x 10 reps, 1 set cable (20kg) x 10 reps
Cardio = 20min bike or knee raise (MuayThai style) x 2 sets, 1 min a set

Day 3: Chest

Beach press using machine = 4 sets, 15/12/10/5~8, 30kg/40kg/50kg/60kg
Incline Bench Press using machine = 3 sets, 12/10/10, 30kg/40kg/40kg
Dumbbells Flyes = 3 sets, 12/12/12, 8kg+8kg for all 3 sets

And for diet, I am sorry to myself. I just eat what the company provide, Korean food (3 meal a day).

I hope other member can comment on my workout and share their too..

No leg training? (not counting cardio)

No leg training? (not counting cardio)

might need to add more cardio but leg :think:
might just add a section every 2 weeks, i hate leg workout.
will be hard to walk the next day.

mind to share you leg workout ?

your training regim looks more like a muscle building one than losing weight.
to lose more weight you have to do more repts at lesser weight.
instead of a 20 min bike, change it into a 20mins slow jog (provided your ankles/knee can allow it)

just curious what is your max weight you can do on a bench press? they seem rather light (for a machine). with that weight shouldnt it be close to 20reps....given ur weight is 86kg.

TS - i just do double of your program. lol. i started going to the gym since there is one in my apt.

cardio run 5km
followed by 10x shoulder press, 10x bench press, 10x lat pull down
cardio run 4km
cardio run 2km

..... sweaty guys pumping iron...... this should attract Sion .... soon....

hi, first you need to be clear on what you want to do first - lose fat or gain muscle. basically in short, the optimal thing that anyone can do is to lose fat while maintaining muscle, or gain muscle while putting on as little fat as possible. you can't really do both at the same time, contrary to popular belief. it is a simple explanation that to pack on mass of any form, you need calories in > calories out. conversely, to lose mass, you need calories out > calories in.

you are saying that you have health problems because of the weight - do be cautious when you exercise, hypertension is not a good thing, push yourself hard, but not too hard.

2evans has his reasons for suggesting leg training i suppose - the leg is the biggest muscle group in the body, and working it out would trigger a huge release of what is known as growth hormone (or GH: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone ) and is definitely beneficial to your aims.

here's an example of a leg workout:

3 x 8 squats
3 x 8 hamstring curls
3 x 8 quad raises (i think this is the wrong name, but i think you should get what i mean)
3 x 12 calf raises

weight of weights wise i can't really comment because i am not you, have no idea of your physical strength, but bench press values do seem a wee bit light, same for lat pulldowns, dumbbell rows. be sure to practise proper form to prevent injury, and do try to ensure that you lift to exhaustion, not such that you are so exhausted that you need to go hospital and mc for 3 days after that, but such that you cannot do the next rep with proper form - that would be the proper weight to do for the rep range you are aiming for. too light weights will not give you any results, at best help to strengthen your tendons but nothing in the way of triggering muscular growth. at the same time, too heavy weights will introduce you to the possibility of injury, so like i said again, proper form.

you might want to add a bit more cardio since your aim seems to be reaching 75 kg? i am not a fan of long distance cardio, after all one is not an athlete training for sports, etc.. you can try what is known as fartlek ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek ), don't have to follow the programme detailed in wikipedia to the T. if you are in the gym a treadmill will be fine - something like:

warm up 2 minutes, slow jog
45 sec sprint (max speed that you can go)
1:30 slow jog (comfortable pace)
repeat line 2 and 3 x number of times
cooldown 2 minutes slow jog to a walk

it is a lot harder than it looks here if you do it properly. it is probably better to do it on a track because sometimes people end up not being able to handle the sprint phase and that can be dangerous on a treadmill. my advice is to be very cautious the first few times you try it if you have not done it before. at the start you can aim for 4 cycles of the sprint/jog.. and then work up to 6-7.

hope this helps, cheers.

oh, and i forgot to mention that you should aim to rest 1 min - 1 1/2 min between sets.

i always see people resting 3 min - 5 min, that's quite a waste of time and limits the intensity of your workout. the only exception i can think of is if you are aiming to be a weightlifter..... then you want to train strength primarily.

hi, first you need to be clear on what you want to do first - lose fat or gain muscle. basically in short, the optimal thing that anyone can do is to lose fat while maintaining muscle, or gain muscle while putting on as little fat as possible. you can't really do both at the same time, contrary to popular belief. it is a simple explanation that to pack on mass of any form, you need calories in > calories out. conversely, to lose mass, you need calories out > calories in.

you are saying that you have health problems because of the weight - do be cautious when you exercise, hypertension is not a good thing, push yourself hard, but not too hard.

2evans has his reasons for suggesting leg training i suppose - the leg is the biggest muscle group in the body, and working it out would trigger a huge release of what is known as growth hormone (or GH: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone ) and is definitely beneficial to your aims.

here's an example of a leg workout:

3 x 8 squats
3 x 8 hamstring curls
3 x 8 quad raises (i think this is the wrong name, but i think you should get what i mean)
3 x 12 calf raises

weight of weights wise i can't really comment because i am not you, have no idea of your physical strength, but bench press values do seem a wee bit light, same for lat pulldowns, dumbbell rows. be sure to practise proper form to prevent injury, and do try to ensure that you lift to exhaustion, not such that you are so exhausted that you need to go hospital and mc for 3 days after that, but such that you cannot do the next rep with proper form - that would be the proper weight to do for the rep range you are aiming for. too light weights will not give you any results, at best help to strengthen your tendons but nothing in the way of triggering muscular growth. at the same time, too heavy weights will introduce you to the possibility of injury, so like i said again, proper form.

you might want to add a bit more cardio since your aim seems to be reaching 75 kg? i am not a fan of long distance cardio, after all one is not an athlete training for sports, etc.. you can try what is known as fartlek ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek ), don't have to follow the programme detailed in wikipedia to the T. if you are in the gym a treadmill will be fine - something like:

warm up 2 minutes, slow jog
45 sec sprint (max speed that you can go)
1:30 slow jog (comfortable pace)
repeat line 2 and 3 x number of times
cooldown 2 minutes slow jog to a walk

it is a lot harder than it looks here if you do it properly. it is probably better to do it on a track because sometimes people end up not being able to handle the sprint phase and that can be dangerous on a treadmill. my advice is to be very cautious the first few times you try it if you have not done it before. at the start you can aim for 4 cycles of the sprint/jog.. and then work up to 6-7.

hope this helps, cheers.

WOW.... you can be trainer liao ah :bigeyes:

your training regim looks more like a muscle building one than losing weight.
to lose more weight you have to do more repts at lesser weight.
instead of a 20 min bike, change it into a 20mins slow jog (provided your ankles/knee can allow it)

just curious what is your max weight you can do on a bench press? they seem rather light (for a machine). with that weight shouldnt it be close to 20reps....given ur weight is 86kg.

Max weight?? by meaning Max per Rep... still haven't try yet, should not be more then 70kg, i only manage to do 60kg 5~8 time.
need sometime to built up my strength.

TS - i just do double of your program. lol. i started going to the gym since there is one in my apt.

cardio run 5km
cardio run 4km
cardio run 2km

all these for 3 days workout??

WOW.... you can be trainer liao ah :bigeyes:

i saw going to mention that, Nightmare reply was great

from now, i might need to built up my strength.
i think i lift too light, mainly in chest and back.

and will add a lot more cardio + leg workout.

time to reschedule my workout.

by the way, is just too hard to fill time for cardio

The best description about pumping iron by Arnold nolastnamerequired

Pumping Iron - pumping = sex with a woman
[youtubehd]2HwYI0oHzPw[/youtubehd]

by the way, is just too hard to fill time for cardio

fartlek is a great way to save time, though it is definitely a lot more shag.

it raises your basal metabolic rate for a longer time than medium intensity or low intensity training (i.e. running or jogging), so you can consider it. do know your limits though.

anyways, these things need time, you don't transform overnight, which is the problem with the mentality that most people who work out have. they end up training for 2 weeks, see little results, get disheartened and get thrown off the routine. then when they feel fat or out of shape again they start again.. in the long run there is no change.

jia you, even if you do not become a beach hunk there will definitely be improvement with hard work and discipline.. and that in itself is an achievement.

u can consider

1) gg for a run immediately after u wakeup before breakfast
2) go for a cardio after your workout
3) perform HIIT
4) drink more water
5) 5-6 meals a day
6) take complex carbs or carbs with low GI (before 8pm)
7) 8 hours of sleep
8) eat only apple if u need fruits
9) essential fatty acids
10) tk some supplements

for workout u can try 1 major and 1 minor muscle group exercise
anyway just cut off korean food :bsmilie: otherwise ur just wasting your time

Last edited:
u can consider

1) gg for a run immediately after u wakeup before breakfast
2) go for a cardio after your workout
3) perform HIIT
4) drink more water
5) 5-6 meals a day
6) take complex carbs or carbs with low GI (before 8pm)
7) 8 hours of sleep
8) eat only apple if u need fruits
9) essential fatty acids
10) tk some supplements

for workout u can try 1 major and 1 minor muscle group exercise
anyway just cut off korean food :bsmilie: otherwise ur just wasting your time

i wake up around 5.40am everyday and work start at 7am, i reach office around 6.30am...morning jog is out of the picture and also my knee prohibited me to run.

food?? i have no control toward my food, as my company provide 3 meal a day. Living in Angola, Africa Now.

but today is back workout day, will add some cardio. mostly cycle and some speed walking.

this is my 5 days a week training regimen:

days 1-4

treadmill 25mins (2.5mins walk, 15mins. jog 7.5km/h, 5mins. sprint 12-15km/h, 2.5mins cool down)

no rest

full body work out, 1 program per 1 body part, 10secs. rest in between sets of 3 per program. inverse pyramid.

no rest

15mins stretching (considered as rest)

15mins skipping rope

no rest

25mins heavy bag workout. kicks and punches.

5mins skipping rope to cool down.

call it a day...

Day 5

20 mins. sparring

the remaining 2 days in a week? yes, it's for my healing and recovery...

just for the record... my tummy is "not flat", i am more on the "plump" side, and lastly... my arms are not shapely! (these things doesn't count when you're inside the cage)

enjoy your workout dude... keep it up!

Last edited:
this is my 5 days a week training regimen:

days 1-4

treadmill 25mins (2.5mins walk, 15mins. jog 7.5km/h, 5mins. sprint 12-15km/h, 2.5mins cool down)

no rest

full body work out, 1 program per 1 body part, 10secs. rest in between sets of 3 per program. inverse pyramid.

no rest

15mins stretching (considered as rest)

15mins skipping rope

no rest

25mins heavy bag workout. kicks and punches.

5mins skipping rope to cool down.

call it a day...

Day 5

20 mins. sparring

the remaining 2 days in a week? yes, it's for my healing and recovery...

just for the record... my tummy is "not flat", i am more on the "plump" side, and lastly... my arms are not shapely! (these things doesn't count when you're inside the cage)

enjoy your workout dude... keep it up!

are you in MMA or something?

are you in MMA or something?

yes, haven't been in any professional fights though... with the standards of which MMA fighters play today, i don't think i can make it... i got myself badly... and i mean BADLY beaten up in a sparring session... took me 2.5 mos. to get back to training (1 broken rib, torn ribcage muscles, split lip, and a black eye!). i did beat some decent fighters though, but not up to the standards of the purple belt fighter i sparred with that day!:)