Pump prices increase by five cents!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vpower prices is $2.16 after discount I think. :eek:

What if the battery spoilt after some years? :think:

Won't be so suay lah...Toyota Prius battery comes with long guarantee.
I just came back from US 10 days back, had a spin in a Camry Hybrid.
For a 2.4l car, the FC is about 15 km/l is quite good - maybe can get one hor?

Posted: 29 November 2007 1819 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) will increase its fuel levy next month by up to 19 US dollars to cope with higher jet oil prices, the Singapore flag carrier said on Thursday.

The latest increase, which followed a hike last month, will apply to all tickets issued by SIA and its regional wing, SilkAir, from December onwards, it said in a statement.

"The adjustments will offer only partial relief of higher operating costs arising from increases in the price of jet fuel," SIA said, adding jet fuel now costs 115 US dollars a barrel.

For flights between Singapore and Southeast Asian destinations, the levy will be raised to 26 US dollars from 24 US dollars, while the surcharge between the city-state and North America will rise by 19 US dollars to 104 US dollars.

The levy for all other destinations will increase by eight US dollars to 75 US dollars.

SIA has said fuel was its second biggest expense, accounting for nearly 37 per cent of its outlays.

Oil prices surged to an all time high of 99.29 US dollars a barrel last week but have since eased to around 92 US dollars after OPEC assured it has enough supplies to meet demand. - AFP/ac

Talking about public transport!:confused:

This will not just affect transporatation costs but basically everything else, especially consumer goods, utilities as they are all somehow or other influenced by fuel prices.

Anyone out there has any idea what's going on in the petrol industry? ie, OPEC

This will not just affect transporatation costs but basically everything else, especially consumer goods, utilities as they are all somehow or other influenced by fuel prices.

Anyone out there has any idea what's going on in the petrol industry? ie, OPEC

Seems like the OPEC boys is being conservative on production.

I don't blame them though, any production ramp up will be consumed by China and the US anyway.

car petrol up, ditch car go public bus, increase in public demand , increase in transport rate, ditch public transport , go take cab, cab demand go up , increase cab fees, ditch cab , go buy car , car rate go up , petrol go up

loop the above sentence

The government should open up the market and many many incentives for hybrid, biodiesel... vehicles. The warming effect has taken immediate impact at orchard road liao.... that's not good enought? hhaaa, sigh

that's why i bought a bike...:bsmilie: u should too...:devil:

My colleague actually called up his home insurance agent to insure his bike and she thought he was kidding....but after giving her the bike details...she nearly fainted :lovegrin:

The government should open up the market and many many incentives for hybrid, biodiesel... vehicles. The warming effect has taken immediate impact at orchard road liao.... that's not good enought? hhaaa, sigh

incentives? Wait long long also won't have.....their idea is to make more pple take public transport and public transport now dun really like to talk about a break even in operation even though they have the suggestion of "public"....you will see they go kpkb to the authories very soon again, then fare hike starts all over again

Hmm... Maybe like no or low COE, lower road tax ...... as they are green vehicles ...... Err ... i thought they have something for those buying Green Cars? anyone?

With everything lower i wun mind paying a slightly higher price for the car!:bsmilie:

Actually, since some of the taxis are already using CNG engine, are the public or private vehicles regardless cars, vans and lorries to modify their engine for these purposes? I can't find any related articles in Singapore.

It is highly true that the money (whether revenue or cost) is the main issue for the government.... but allow somethings else then you can have both or even more....

i know that petrol price other that octane 92, the rest are above $2 price tag. in china, the price went up and worst, each car is limited to certain amount of petrol only. Sometimes, drivers have to get to different petrol kiosk to top up as the queue is super long for certain kiosk. what the china people say "气油紧张"

anyway, the cost of driving a car is higher and higher.

haiz..... first ERP... now petrol...

eh guys time for CNG :D cheaper :D

S'pore explores use of bio-diesel with state-of-the-art vehicles

By Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 04 December 2007 1941 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore has been chosen as the site to test out a green fuel.

The project, led by German engineering firm Bosch, hopes to change the negative image of diesel-powered vehicles and promote bio-diesel as an alternative environmentally friendly fuel.

The cars in the project are powered by Palm Oil Methyl Esters (POME B5). It is a fuel mixed with conventional diesel and 5% of palm-based bio-diesel.

A visual test was set up to prove that vehicles using POME B5 emit cleaner fumes compared to those using conventional fuel and technology.

Next, tests will also be conducted to show that bio-diesel vehicles with modern technology have 33% more fuel efficiency than conventional ones.

These bio-diesel vehicles will also be tested to see if they have lower emission rates, of up to 25%.

The bio-diesel project is into its third and final testing phase. Besides Bosch, those involved in the project are car makers Volkswagen and Mercedes Benz, Shell Eastern Petroleum and bio-fuel producer Nexsol.

The Singapore government agency partners in the project are the Economic Development Board and the National Environment Agency.

By the end of October 2009, those involved in the project hope to change the negative image of diesel-powered vehicles.

When one thinks of diesel, images of old goods vans or pickup trucks emitting smoke from their exhaust come to mind.

Managing director of Bosch in Southeast Asia, Cem Peksaglam, said: "The image of diesel vehicles, I would say not only in Singapore but also in Southeast Asia and many countries in Asia Pacific is negative due to the fact that most heavy duty vehicles are using very old diesel technology.

"This is one of the main obstacles. We also need education, we need to change the image of diesel-passenger cars here and in Southeast Asia."

Despite the advantages, industry players say it is impractical for bio-diesels to fully substitute conventional fuel. To do so, the entire infrastructure of the petroleum industry must be changed.

There is also the question of the supply of alternative fuel.

Kenny Koh, head of marketing for Peter Cremer(S)GmbH, said: "Today you can have people looking at other renewal sources, like using seaweed technology. They are trying to plant non-edible oils like jathropha and camelina.

"But, at the same time, it becomes an issue. If I have available, fertile land that can be used to plant something, why would I want to plant something that is non-edible?

"I just plant something that is edible, and can be used by both segments of the market. So I don't think that it is a very practical solution to say the whole world has to be on a B100 bio-diesel situation." - CNA/ir

prices of oil came down, why petrol price not down yet?

S'pore explores use of bio-diesel with state-of-the-art vehicles

By Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 04 December 2007 1941 hrs

National Geographic has talked about this issue in its Oct'07 issue.

Apparently, the downside to bio-diesel is that it's production process almost emits the same carbon emission as when you use normal petrol. Also, the power & available mileage generated by bio-diesel fuels is at best 80% of regular fuels & the lower bio-diesel price per litre is just about offset by the need for more bio-diesel to travel the same distance.

You have 95 and 98 octane in Singapore? How much pollution is each car generating? Having been in the U.S.A. for several years now, I haven't seen anything higher than 93 octane since the 1980s when all gasoline was of the unleaded variety. Back then, gasoline was actually more expensive in relation to a barrel of crude oil. It's only recently that it's partially caught up.

Still, in the U.S.A., we have a relative bargain. Tonight, I paid $2.969 for 87 octane, which is about 13 cents cheaper than I saw other places. The same wholesale club wanted $3.169 for 91 (or 93) octane and that's per gallon or approximately 3.785 litres. I'm glad my VW Golf is quite economical and that I usually have no need of air con this time of year.

I'd use public transportation, if it was available, but I have to walk or ride a bike quite far to the nearest bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.