Pull up bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Netxus

Need to drill a pull up bar into the wall to train up for NS. Does anyone know of any place to get cheap (and good) pull-up bars?

Thanks!

usually just try any of those sports shops can already

how many u do now?

wah!!!! so onz leh....think you do a lot of pumping first. Trust me...you'll do more pumping than pull-ups in NS...make sure you can do at least 10 sets of 19 pumps at one go! If you kanna tekan, you'll prob have to do a X x 10 sets of 19 pumps in a day!

Training pumping before NS is good idea :thumbsup: , but to improve pullups, only way is to do more pullups. Pumping doesn't really help (different muscle sets)

When you do, try to spread you arms abit wider. This will allow you to use your lats muscles (muscles on the sides of your back). They are a much bigger muscle group as compared to your biceps, so you can do more when you use your lats (as opposed to just biceps). However, this one must train one, so start now!

Try to do everyday, e.g every morning, or before dinner etc. When doing, set yourself a target per session, e.g aim to pull a total of 30 pullups in 10 mins per session. So you can go up, do 10, come down rest a while, go up again, do 8, come down, rest again etc. As you improve, increase the number of pullups per session and decrease your rest time. Try to do your max everytime you go up, don't hold back. This will greatly increase the rate of improvement.

If you want more fanciful ways of training, can ask me :D We used to do a lot of different training routines for pullups when I was training in canoeing in JC (ahh, the glory days...)

Netxus said:
Need to drill a pull up bar into the wall to train up for NS. Does anyone know of any place to get cheap (and good) pull-up bars?

Thanks!
I also like you so on when I going into the NS. therefore I also bought a pull up bar. But during that time I was very navie, i thought can extend it very long and the two end touch the wall can liao dun need any drilling. My place been quite new at that time does not really permit me to drill something like that into the wall and the pull up bar end up in the storeroom

Enough of my story, back to where to buy the pull up bar, you can get it at any sports shop like sportslink or world of sports. But before you buy one, make sure you find a suitable spot first and make sure that the bar you are buying is long enough

Netxus said:

Thanks!

if u want simple ones, get fr sports shops, kettler brands abt 20-30bucks.
tried 2 kettlers, both suck..one bended soon, both rusty after a few mths.

best is to custom make. do measure the width needed, go hardware store tobuy a stainless steel rod, + 2 brackets, some nails/screws, some drilling, fixing, u'r done with a pull up bar that'll last a life time.

easy to say, hard to make, hardest to do pull ups consistently.

gd luck.

I am doing dips and pumping all these while. It is only till recently when i found that i actually need to do pull-up to improve pull-up, and not really pumping / dips to improve pull-up (just want to avoid going to NS earlier than the others.. i can only do 2 now)... hence now i decided to buy a pull-up bar.

Thanks for everyone's reply. At least you have given me a headstart on what to do to prepare for NS ;)

you shld juz enjoy now. worry about pull ups later during NS. when i was enlisted, i can only do 4, after 3 weeks of PTP i can do 6 and when i POP i can do 12, when in SISPEC, can do 18, when i downgraded to PES E and posted to HQ AMS as a clerk, i can do close to 30 pull ups (becoz HQ AMS has a very nice gym...

i find that those who went thru PTP became fitter than those who juz go straight in to BMT.. i think u will enjoy BMT more if u went thru the PTP.

Netxus said:
I am doing dips and pumping all these while. It is only till recently when i found that i actually need to do pull-up to improve pull-up, and not really pumping / dips to improve pull-up (just want to avoid going to NS earlier than the others.. i can only do 2 now)... hence now i decided to buy a pull-up bar.

Thanks for everyone's reply. At least you have given me a headstart on what to do to prepare for NS ;)

its all abt breathing technique when u do pull up.
Also confident plays a part (if u think u can, just do it!!) :D

Think I saw someone posted a notice to sell a brand new Kettler pull-up bar at hardwarezone. Either at Classifieds or Garage Sale, forgot where liao. Maybe you can check it out? ;)

You could also try your incline pulls, they help. Try 3 sets of 12 reps.
Why don't use the park or stadium? I'm sure there's a fitness corner near your place.

There is a fitness corner... a very small one... but the whole trip (to and fro from that corner) takes 20 mins. Take it that i'm lazy to run there or walk there =). Haha. But at least with a pull-up bar, I can immediately do some pull-up training during a TV show break.

Anyway it's the first time I heard that to do pull-up, breathing technique helps. Hmm, care to explain? Perhaps all these while I have been doing pull ups wrongly.

Thanks again.

exhale when u go up

same approach as in weight trainiing: exhale on the "exert" stroke, inhale on the "relax" stroke

K thanks. I will try that method immediately tmr in school =)

Netxus said:
K thanks. I will try that method immediately tmr in school =)

yaya.. i can do zero now.. i think i also die liao...

must train also...

Status
Not open for further replies.