Pulau Ubin, Chek Jawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almond

Jun 19, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

Rememder the project on 'let's do a National Geographic singapore style'? We are planning to go to the above mention this coming Sat. thus, wondering if there are any others CSers who would like to join us. info is as below :

Date : 03/08/2002, Sat.
Time : Meet @ 0930hrs
My Contact number : 93690159

Equipment needed:
1. Tripod/ monopod
2. Cable Release
3. Film/extra memory
4. Extra batteries
5. Mini Torch
6. Mineral water, snacks, etc.
7. Mosquito repellent

Regards,
Almond

Bring Mosquito Repellent.

It'll be easier to use a monopod at Chek Jawa.

You can wear booties there. It's much more comfortable walking on the coastal plains with them.

I've been there, most of it is just a muddy patch of beach.. very nice and beautiful. The last I heard of it is that you can't wander as you like, there is a desinated path you need to follow.

if the place is left untouched, a tripod is unusable there. You both hands need to balance yourself in the soft uneven ground, and you tripod won't be that stable as the ground is soft. You'll also need your hands to support yourself if you trip.

but if they built walkways... then it is another story.

Hi Almond,

Sorry that I couldn't join you guys last Friday.

It is not possible to visit Chek Jawa this Saturday because of conservation measures taken by the National Parks Board. For more information, go to www.nparks.gov.sg/news/latestnews.shtml.

<taken from the website>
The dates and times for visits from June to October 2002 are:
Date Time Remarks
14 Aug 02 9:00am Fully booked
7 Oct 02 5:00pm Fully booked
Dates for visits on subsequent months will be announced on NParks web-site.

I took the liberty to call National Park's Ubin Hotline and was told that the next visits would be in November, December and January. The actual dates will only be released on 1st September. You will have to book yourself a place if you intend to go to Chek Jawa, and each designated date can allow only up to 50 bookings.

ya, just want to add, there is no point in going there "as and when you like", because as stated by the website, most of it is actually underwater... you only go there when there is low tide.

and be prepared to be stung... I wasn't stung by mosquitos, but something else.. had over 20 marks on my legs.

Originally posted by rueyloon
and be prepared to be stung... I wasn't stung by mosquitos, but something else.. had over 20 marks on my legs.

Uh rueyloon,
What kind of footwear were you wearing? Makes me wonder if those industrial-strength utility boots are even enough. :p

I was wearing my Teva sandles.... kinda damaged it abit... I would suggest bringing an old pair of shoes... and prepared to get wet. those boots would so as well...

imagine this... when you're stuck in the mud up to both of your ankles.... and when you try to lift your feet up.. .there is a great sucktion force.. you'll need to learn how to walk. I've seen a person's shoe sole ripped off in that way.

the place can be roughly divided on to 2, left and right
right side have more things to see and it is much much less muddier

there isn't much to see on the left side, and the left side is super muddy... around the middle of the lower leg to the knee there..... I was quite panicky a few times when I was stuck and could not move :p

Originally posted by denizenx
wellingtons then? haha
When the muddy ground 'suck' at your wellingtons, you may be rendered wellington-less! :D

changed the venue to just pulau ubin.

*Chek Jawa is fully booked, and only a group of ten ppl per visit. visiting also had to depend on the tide of the day.

so.... anyone interested in the above outing?

interested ppl,

1) almond
2) sulhan?
3) pandora?
4) denizenx?
5) rueyloon?

:dent:

Originally posted by Almond
*Chek Jawa is fully booked, and only a group of ten ppl per visit. visiting also had to depend on the tide of the day.
[/B]
Spoke to the operator manning the Ubin Hotline and she told me group of 50 instead of 10. Curiosier and curiosier ...

PULAU UBIN 03/08/02
1) almond
2) sulhan?
3) pandora
4) denizenx?
5) rueyloon?

eeps, I shudder at the thought of lugging my 190D all over the place ...

it's a she who answered your call? a he answered my call...
hehehehe.....

Time to put the SAF combat boots to good use for NSmen. :D

Originally posted by rueyloon
I was wearing my Teva sandles.... kinda damaged it abit... I would suggest bringing an old pair of shoes... and prepared to get wet. those boots would so as well...

imagine this... when you're stuck in the mud up to both of your ankles.... and when you try to lift your feet up.. .there is a great sucktion force.. you'll need to learn how to walk. I've seen a person's shoe sole ripped off in that way.

the place can be roughly divided on to 2, left and right
right side have more things to see and it is much much less muddier

there isn't much to see on the left side, and the left side is super muddy... around the middle of the lower leg to the knee there..... I was quite panicky a few times when I was stuck and could not move :p

Hei....

i'm coiming...... wah must get up early and hit the MRT from Queenstown!!!!!

Went there a few months back with my boss and my team....its really fun.....regret not bring my SLR.......

;)

interested ppl,

1) almond
2) sulhan
3) pandora
4) denizenx?
5) rueyloon?

Status
Not open for further replies.