Pulau Sejahat? And other historical sites in Sg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Wanted to check out Pulau Sejahat this morning, however, bad weather aside, the island is apparently now out of bounds to the public. It's a great pity because this little island actually holds a lot of Singapore's history. I've read that it's probably going to be torn apart, to be used as a source of materials for land reclaimation.

Check this site out to see what we'll be losing. Also, that Changi Jetty that we used to take to Pulau Ubin will be closed w.e.f. 04/01/05.

I've lamented many times about this before: Although I see the need for redevelopment, we do so at what cost? As a photographer, it's quite a challenge to find historical sites to shoot. Especially WW2 sites, save for Fort Siloso, Fort Canning Hill, Labrador Park. Most other places, whatever evidence of our history seems to be consigned to museums, or reduced to a single signboard at the location. I was hoping to find some consolation at the nearby Johore Battery site. It was accidentally uncovered in 1991 and had wide press coverage then, touted as the next most important WW2 site discovery after General Percival's command bunker at Fort Canning Hill. It was officially opened to the public to much fanfare in 2002, but now, it's all neglected. Anyway, there's nothing much to see to begin with. The tunnels were never restored, and hence never opened to the public (only the plot of land above it is accessible).

Back to P.Sejahat. Does anybody know anything else about this island? I remember watching 'Site and Sound' on Channel i, mentioning that there's an annual pilgrimage to the island. Forgot to ask the boat uncles at the jetty just now. Any ideas? 'cos that could be the only window of opportunity to visit the island.

And are there any other good historical (esp. WW2) sites in Sg?

(p.s. Moderators, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Pls feel free to move it to where you deem appropriate. Thanks.)

synapseman said:
Wanted to check out Pulau Sejahat this morning, however, bad weather aside, the island is apparently now out of bounds to the public. It's a great pity because this little island actually holds a lot of Singapore's history. I've read that it's probably going to be torn apart, to be used as a source of materials for land reclaimation.
P.Sejahat is now linked to P.Tekong via land reclamation recently (& the sand hasn't really settled down so it's not very safe actually) therefore it'll be out of bounds to public since it's pretty near the restricted military places...

synapseman said:
Back to P.Sejahat. Does anybody know anything else about this island?
This small island used to be 1 of the ATMB's (Anti-Torpedo Motorboat Battery) during WW2 to protect our eastern shores against torpedo attacks. However it was never really used during the war as the Japanese attacked from the Western part of S'pore, & the 6" guns on the island weren't powerful enough to be used in the battles at P.Ubin...

synapseman said:
I remember watching 'Site and Sound' on Channel i, mentioning that there's an annual pilgrimage to the island.
I think the "annual pilgrimage" u're talking abt is to this certain "Datuk God" on the island... Heard tt some boatmen went there to pray & all of them struck 4D with their boat licence plate no.s... Think there're still some boatman who're willing to send pple there at $80 per trip (to & fro) upon special request... Heard tt some newly weds used to go all the way there to do their album shoots too... But I guess the relevant authorities gonna step in to close up the place very soon when there're too many (unwelcomed) visitors to the island...

It a waste to see this small island being cordoned off and absorbed into military training area.
Used to hear stories from local Tekong uncles when I was training there...

Sad~~

:cry:

Such is life here ...

Anyone remembers the 'restoration' of a ear-marked, 'historical' building along Stamford Road at the cost of certainly more than a million tax payers' dollars?

Guess what happened after it's restoration?

Less than or about a year later, it was decided that Stamford Road needed widening to accomodate the increase of traffic and the building, along with others were torn down to widen Stamford Road.

So, what sort of regard would an innocious little island with probably a few hundred or less 'insignificant' dwellers ... that probably has any significant economical or political advantage to offer the masses stand to receive?

Feinwerkbau said:
Such is life here ...

Anyone remembers the 'restoration' of a ear-marked, 'historical' building along Stamford Road at the cost of certainly more than a million tax payers' dollars?

Guess what happened after it's restoration?

Less than or about a year later, it was decided that Stamford Road needed widening to accomodate the increase of traffic and the building, along with others were torn down to widen Stamford Road.

So, what sort of regard would an innocious little island with probably a few hundred or less 'insignificant' dwellers ... that probably has any significant economical or political advantage to offer the masses stand to receive?

Eu Court? :cry:
Quite a beauty!

img0098.jpg

Now replaced by Stamford Court, which is so ugly!!!!

It's good that some of u are preserving the memories of some of these fast-disappearing sites. We will lose all of them pretty soon. The govt is working very hard to reclaim land, set up barricades to "protect" the island and bulldozing away whatever islands or sites which are of no commercial use.

Over at Pengerang (Johor) there are some WWII bunkers and historical relics.

wow really ah? Thot Pengereng only for makan leh.. Anyone wanna organize a trip there?

but i scared johor dangerous. :(
if go must show pics kae.

hi folks, I am actually doing an art work on Pulau Sejahat.
Have taken quite a few photos - Medium Format and digital of the island.
And done research on it. there is othber interesting stories about this island. (why does it have such a negative name?) It has ceased to exist on the marine charts.
It's not completed yet and it's part of a series of works about the waters around Singapore .

the seastories ---> SEA STATE 2 : as evil disappears

The first work of the series was SEA STATE 1 : inside outisde
was exhibited in Singapore art musuem and in Berlin. A series of photos showing 2 perspectives of the border of Singapore (port limits)
one from inside Singapore and the other from outisde.

www.seastories.sg

Charles Lim

Its such a real pity that the island could be erased from our lives...remember seeing reports on the island back then on 'Hey Singapore'.

Actually there is a small fortress at Labrador Park too, on the hill behind the playground. Wonder anyone went up before? Its really such a real pity that all of such places are being renovated and look so vague. Just like Labrador Park, but was glad that I went into the tunnels before they seal up...and renovate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.