Pulau Redang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy

Jul 28, 2002
Under the sea...
Hi all,

I will be going to redang in July, I have chosen to stay at Coral Redang Islang Resort(recommended)…
As there will be 3 of us who will be going, I was wondering if there is any much difference in the standard rooms and semi-d room, if yes, what the differences are?
Would those who do not know how to swim (not me) or snorkel be able to go and my guess is there will be guides teaching you how to snorkel?
What about the food there?

I will appreciate any kind souls who went there before would answer these questions.

Cheers!
Linda

hmmm.. dun think there's any guide that will teach u how to snorkel.. i think they provide life vest..

Can't remember which hotel I stayed... but 'snorkelling' definitely should be a problem.

The snorkelling area that I went to had fish teeming in the water that your feet can touch the bottom. Just pop the goggles on and look into the water you'll have plenty of fish already.

Even if you go a little deeper, the life vest will keep you afloat and you can breathe through the snorkel.

Just have a swimmer around to guide you and be cautious and you'll be fine.

Tip: Bring some bread for the fish and buy a disposable underwater camera. Most of all.. ENJOY! That was the best holiday I had!

Originally posted by Lindy
Hi all,

I will be going to redang in July, I have chosen to stay at Coral Redang Islang Resort(recommended)…
As there will be 3 of us who will be going, I was wondering if there is any much difference in the standard rooms and semi-d room, if yes, what the differences are?
Would those who do not know how to swim (not me) or snorkel be able to go and my guess is there will be guides teaching you how to snorkel?
What about the food there?

I will appreciate any kind souls who went there before would answer these questions.

Cheers!
Linda

Hi!

Can I come along?

:D :gbounce:

/me pipiakz lindayz.... hehehe
paiseh... i just came back frm tht place.

my advise and experiece would be:
1. Wear a life jacket, it'll keep u floating.... no worries... :D
2. If phobia even with a life jacket, go in pairs (eg: 1 can swim leads the other who cannot swim) This is wat i usually do, sometimes need to bring 2 if many cannot swim. Make sure u got
flippers. If not it'll be hard for u to lead.
3. Bring sunblock (SPF 50+), if u dun want a tan.. but i still kena... =_="
4. Bring torch light, for nite coral hunting during low tide (eg:) All taken with flash... kekekeke.... http://photomalaysia.phototraveler.net/friends/roon2c/gallery/perhentian_sea]Sea corals at nite[/URL]
5. Get an underwater disposs. cam. ( i was in a rush and forgot abt it. :( Buy before u go.)
6. ENJOY THE WHOLE TRIP WITH UR FRENS!!!!!

hehehe...
hope this helps.

My photos for the trip is at Around Pulau Perhentian

I stayed at Redang Beach Resort formerly, it is located on the stretch of beach called Pasir Panjang. There are a number of other resorts along the same beach stretch, and I find snorkelling on the beach-line manageable cos it is sort of a bay. There are boat traffic, but there is a designated area where you can snorkell and the marine life is very rich there.

They do provide life vest and flipper from this resort, and there is also a shop there that you can buy some bread to feed the fishes, but I like to caution you that the fishes can inflict quite nasty bite if they are in a freezy, so you need to be careful or wear a glove.

And like what someone mention earlier, dun forget that disposable underwater camera, it is come in handy if you wish to take some underwater pictures.

Just a gentle reminder, along Pasir Panjang Beach, there is this protruding land mass to the sea that forms the bay protection, if you snorkell there and a little further out (it is a designated snorkelling area), you can sometime see junveile black tip reef sharks.

Thanks all for the reply...

As my friends do not know how to swim n snorkel, these interesting/encouraging words are greatly appreciated to 'persuade' that redang is not a boring place.

*Will remember to get the underwater disposable cam*

Looks like no1 had stayed at Coral Redang island resort eh? Need to find out whats the difference between the few types of rooms sia...

I almost settled for another beach resort (Wisana beach hut), but found out that it is situated at a very deserted area, which might not be suitable for us to stayed in...

Also, basically, i don't think we will be using much expenses there right? Since everything is already included in the 'tour package'.

:) :)

Originally posted by willyfoo
Can't remember which hotel I stayed... but 'snorkelling' definitely should be a problem.

The snorkelling area that I went to had fish teeming in the water that your feet can touch the bottom. Just pop the goggles on and look into the water you'll have plenty of fish already.

Even if you go a little deeper, the life vest will keep you afloat and you can breathe through the snorkel.

Just have a swimmer around to guide you and be cautious and you'll be fine.

Tip: Bring some bread for the fish and buy a disposable underwater camera. Most of all.. ENJOY! That was the best holiday I had!

The hotel is Berjaya Hotel. Service is Good.

Try to go to the nearby island where they can bring you to see baby sharks.. Really interesting.. Look out for turtles too..

Bring Lots of Sun block and after sun lotion yah... ;)

Not sure if this the same resort u r talking bout....the one i went to.....when snorkelling....go around those big rocks (left of the beach end) and you will be rewarded with colourful eye candy...pls do watch out for those lion fish. Dun swim too far out....there's a drop off cliff somewhere....its pretty scary...water will just turn cold suddenly...and you see dense of darkness infront of you. :)

abt feeding the fish with breads, most island resorts probably u could pop by the kitchen and ask for some bread for fish feeding. So far for my trips ard malaysian island i didnt meet with any chefs that dun pass one or two packet of breads to u.

And from what i learnt from a dive master, try to find those kind of small mineral water bottle, put the bread inside and cap it.
Poke few holes on the cap, small holes.

Then while in water, allow some space for the water to flow into the bottle and let the bread be mixed and voila, here u have some breed feeding device that prevents u from fish bites.
with the cap on, squeeze a little bit and the bread water will flow out, watch the swams of fishes coming.
:D

Enjoy ur redang trip. :D

anyone here from terengganu?

need some tips on things to do in KT itself, especially makan places..:)

sorry lindy, no experience staying in coral redang. last time i stayed in berjaya. this time, gonna stay in redang hols..

but dun worry about which hotel you're staying in, coz most of the time, you're on the beach or in the water.

enjoy yer trip..:)

wow!

thanks for all the comments...
thought the thread went dead coz not many ppl went there before...

Violett: yea...heard that berjaya is the best resort there with many facilities... turtles! see...hope to catch some of those...

sbs99: drop off cliff yea? sounds scarey.... dark waters? heh

cheechee: sounds like a nice idea... will try to make those bottles...

to the others! thanks for the tips and site... great help indeed...
looks like its gonna be a trigger happy trip? Haha!

:D :D :D :D

Ownself go never ask me along. Some friend you are!! Hng!!!

Go there come back remember to post pics!

Originally posted by espn
Ownself go never ask me along. Some friend you are!! Hng!!!

Go there come back remember to post pics!

the weather there is too hot... thought u will melt..
:dent:

Just my opinion from my trip:

Berjaya is de most expensive among all de resorts (if i m not mistaken, correct me if i m wrong). Actually any resorts along Pasir Panjang cant be wrong coz all relatively cheap.

If you r going to KT 1st, try 2 get thr b4 8am (not quite sure, but must be earli!!!). I reached thr abt 10am with my frens, n we ended up spending a stupid day in KT!!!! Nope!!! thr ain't ANY things 2 do in KT! Thr's a supermkt near de bus terminal, rows of shophouses dat nobody will be interested unless u wan food n drinks n ciggies. We put up at Ping Anchorage Hostel costing abt RM15-20 (YESSS!!! ITS DAT CHEAP!!!). But u gotta put up wif all de chanting at all de best hours of de days (like 530am in de morning???) !!!! I jus cant wait 2 get out of de place 2 redang.

As for snorkelling thr, pasir panjang is a good spot. according 2 my frens, berjaya faces out to de open sea. Unless u join their tours, i realli dunno if u can see anything thr. Its abit of luck when it comes 2 spotting rare species. I spotted a turtle on my very 1st dive at PP, but my frens failed 2 see them. My only dread was when goping for de free boat trip out 2 de open sea 2 snorkel. I was stung by jelly fish, n they can leave quite a nasty bite!!!

The resort dat i put up with was Redang Reef Resort. According to my fren who was a lau chiau thr, he did mention dat they serve de best food thr! (including tea breaks! best!) As for de rooms, cant ask 4 too much. they cant compare with berjaya. But i was on a budget tour, so no choice, somemore we all "ming jian".

Overall, unless u hv tons of money 2 throw, PP is a better choice. U can probabli find more angmohs at Berjaya than at PP; more chinese can be found at PP (my observation, no guarantee). "Xia Ri Mo Mo Cha" was shot at PP, but u cant find de beautiful houses thr anymore :~~~( But its still nice : )

Enjoy ur trip

:D booked liaoz...

anyway... we were sourcing for underwater camera....

all price at 3 shops varies with a significant difference... anybody noes where to get less expensive underwater cam?

also...the footwear...can rent there? I have seen some who wore...'socks' to walk in shallow waters at chek jawa...

wonder where can i buy those?

any other things to look out for? haha wild boars? wild monkeys?
3 girls going... so...erh...should be more careful hor... wait robbery :D :D

Originally posted by Lindy
:D booked liaoz...

anyway... we were sourcing for underwater camera....

all price at 3 shops varies with a significant difference... anybody noes where to get less expensive underwater cam?

also...the footwear...can rent there? I have seen some who wore...'socks' to walk in shallow waters at chek jawa...

wonder where can i buy those?

any other things to look out for? haha wild boars? wild monkeys?
3 girls going... so...erh...should be more careful hor... wait robbery :D :D

If u are not going too deep, using an aquapac with your standard cam maybe?

I tried snorkelling 1 time about 2 years ago at Tioman and Redang and it was the best holiday i ever had. Be sure to get a good snorkelling gear, i think the "straight line with with a bend" ones are better than the U shaped ones. To dive with the snorkels, take a deep breath then dive down, when you come up again blow with all your might and the water in the snorkel will get pushed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.