Not open for further replies.

likimikuku

Nov 9, 2007
hi there,

any good resort and package to intro??

now my choice is BUBU or Tuna Bay...

please share your experience...

Thank!!

I have been to Tuna Bay last year. Quite a good resort. Clean, with air con and good food.

Since the resort's staff are Chinese, they are able to serve alcohol. I had grilled fish and squid with cocktails and beer. Can't get any better with the price I've paid.

BuBu was a bit too expensive that time so I went for Tuna Bay. Perhaps you can ask in other forums like tripadvisor regarding BuBu

you might like to check out Flora Bay Resort. i was there for diving a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.florabayresort.com/
i would say the price's pretty reasonable. diving was GREAT.
rooms wise, i took the garden view one which was pretty small but cosy. they clean your room every morning, just like hotels (seldom get that with resorts that accommodate divers). food wise, was ok, but i must mention that their tom yam soup was great! you can go over to other resorts along the beach for more variety too.

if you would like to have more commodities (massage/spa, swimming pool, hotel-style dining area), you can try Arwana, which is along the same beach as Flora Bay.

Hey Guys,

Thank for the suggestion,

I think BuBu will be slightly expensive(from what I found in the web) but the beach will be vy nice and the night is happening….
for Tunabay, it will give u some good relaxing during night time…

and for Flora Bay… is more like a diver location??? I dun know…

thank for the suggestion… keep them coming…

and may I ask… which location offer the most photograph opportunity??

Another recommendation for TunaBay.
They have a nice private beach and a house reef if you want to snorkel and look at fishes.
Diving was soso at Perhantian last I went but it was great when we requested to take the boat down to redang!

The reason I chose Tunabay was because they were able to accomodate my early arrival (bus reach jetty @ 6am and the resort shop opened early to let us rest till the jetty open @ 7.30am)

Also tuna bay has their own big boat so it was more comfy than the speedboat~

Flora Bay! My favourite and I know the people there. I never go on package, I can organize a bus ride on my own.
Flora Bay is a diver's resort, since they have the Flora Bay Dive just next door. Which means, you can also book dives when booking the bungalow. You'll get discounts for the dive package then. But also for non-divers it's a great place to experience quietness. Flora Bay (and the other resorts there, except Awana) are more laid back then Tuna and the other Resorts along the main beach. Depends on what you want.

wow..guy..thank for the advice...

anyway... i am not a diving person... do u guy hav any contact for Tuna or Bubu...
saw on web.. the price is between RM700 to 600...is this good for 3d2n package???

[B]www.florabayresort.com[/B] / [B]florabayresort@gmail.com[/B]
Still have a card here from Mahadi Idris, Resort manager. Even if you don't dive the place is great. Sometimes snorkeling is all you need, saw my first Blacktip Reefshark at the Shark Point in Florabay. It's just 15min swimming from the shore.
Last time I booked "Hillview Terrace", I don't need aircon and whatnot. Usually I spend the whole day out and only need a bed and a shower. Check the link above, "accommodation" shows the room rates. For 3D2N I would calculate:
RM 204 for coach (Night coach, return ticket) with Transnasional from Kallang Bahru; RM 20 for taxi to jetty (tell the bus captn to drop you in Jerteh, they know the stop); RM30 for speedboat; RM5 for conservation; RM4-10 per meal; RM120 for 2N Hillview. That's well below RM700 but it's only my way.
If you don't dive you could also take a domestic flight (AirAsia) from JB / Senai to Kota Bharu. Much faster but I'm not sure if this still fits into the RM700 budget.

[B]www.florabayresort.com[/B] / [B]florabayresort@gmail.com[/B]
Still have a card here from Mahadi Idris, Resort manager. Even if you don't dive the place is great. Sometimes snorkeling is all you need, saw my first Blacktip Reefshark at the Shark Point in Florabay. It's just 15min swimming from the shore.
Last time I booked "Hillview Terrace", I don't need aircon and whatnot. Usually I spend the whole day out and only need a bed and a shower. Check the link above, "accommodation" shows the room rates. For 3D2N I would calculate:
RM 204 for coach (Night coach, return ticket) with Transnasional from Kallang Bahru; RM 20 for taxi to jetty (tell the bus captn to drop you in Jerteh, they know the stop); RM30 for speedboat; RM5 for conservation; RM4-10 per meal; RM120 for 2N Hillview. That's well below RM700 but it's only my way.
If you don't dive you could also take a domestic flight (AirAsia) from JB / Senai to Kota Bharu. Much faster but I'm not sure if this still fits into the RM700 budget.

Tks for d info,

im planning to go there as well. For Transnasional bus service, shd i drop at kota bahru or kuala terengganu?

and what shd i choose for "Ticketing outlets nearest to your home"

Last edited:
im planning to go there as well. For Transnasional bus service, shd i drop at kota bahru or kuala terengganu?
For the ticket: Kota Bahru. Tell the bus driver that you go to Perhentian. They will drop you in Jerteh. No worries, they know this already. If you go to Kota Bahru and get a taxi from there you'll pay more for taxi and (depending on bus arrival) you might miss the 8am ferry.

and what shd i choose for "Ticketing outlets nearest to your home"
Just saw it.. looks funny. Better you drop by the ticket counter in Kallang Bahru.

dear all,

do u guy hav any advice on where and when to take pic??
i mean some tips for photography there??

Thank

looking for a trip too. anyone can advice me also which resort has the best coastal spottings of marine lifes and corals? i have fantasy on coastal activities.....

As per Octarine reply, just inform the bus driver during boarding that you are alighting @ jerteh. Depending on the speed of the bus driver, you will arrive 10-12 hrs from boarding. Taxis will probably be there waiting to bring you to the jetty even at 5am in the morning when the streets are still empty.

To be safe, you can ask the resort to arrange beforehand for a taxi to pick you up. Price wise I remember about 20-30 ringgit to the jetty for 4 pax. About 15mins ride if the driver drive fast ;)

Photography wise, coral and marine life can be taken if you snorkel and maybe skin dive (UW case required) some 40-100m out in the cordoned marine reserve of the various sites (esp @ the sheltered long beach).. make sure you stay within the area cos there are boats traveling.

Also, long beach where most resorts are located is facing south, so you can take a water taxi or walk through the island (quite some distance which I'm not sure if there is a path to walk anot) to the west side of the island where the other resorts are located (Perhantian Beser). There is also a village on the smaller island you may want to check out for pictures though it is a fairly modern looking. Personally I think I took the most photos @ Jerteh of the village in sunrise if you head to the coffee shops/jetty area for breakfast (maybe cos I was there for diving).

If you are lucky, you can ask around the boat taxis if there is a chance to look at turtles hatchling heading out to sea though I'm not sure if it's illegal as they are bringing you to some reserve site which people are not supposed to disturb.. a small fee is required to be paid to some guy on the island and sighting can only be confirm at 9-10pm which was fruitless twice I was there.

You can also ask to go redang from your resort for snorkeling/diving but will cost another 60-100rm and an hr and there are quite alot more corals to take photos of then at perhantian.

Last edited:
looking for a trip too. anyone can advice me also which resort has the best coastal spottings of marine lifes and corals? i have fantasy on coastal activities.....

depends on luck.. lol, sometimes you get a turtle swimming by .. maybe black tips sharks if you are very lucky.
tuna bay's house reef has a few lion fishes and a cute yellow box fish but I'm not sure of other beaches.. the lion fishes are usually under the jetty and the box fish will require some skin diving to spot..

Last edited:
depends on luck.. lol, sometimes you get a turtle swimming by .. maybe black tips sharks if you are very lucky.
tuna bay's house reef has a few lion fishes and a cute yellow box fish but I'm not sure of other beaches.. the lion fishes are usually under the jetty and the box fish will require some skin diving to spot..

The last time I was there, we spotted a shark near the so-called thermal vent, swam close to a turtle and got surrounded by those bread eating fishes.

The marine life is pretty decent there.

Oh, and we just snorkelled, didn't even scuba.

Have you guys considered taking the Malaysian Railways? I've tried it for the first time for my recent trip to Perhentian and it was good. It's cheap, comfortable, you get to sleep and in my opinion, pretty convenient.

My itinerary:
Johor Bahru station --> Tanah Merah station --> Kuala Besut Jetty --> Perhentian Island
(10 hours; 7pm-7am) (1 hour) (45min-1 hour)

For the train ride to Tanah Merah station, if you choose the overnight sleeper class, you get a bed to sleep. I chose the 2nd class one, so it was basically like a carriage with double storey beds. You get your own privacy by drawing the curtain. One complain is that the toilets are not very clean and you may get cig smells coming in from people smoking outside. So my suggestion is to get beds in the middle of the carriage if you are not comfortable with the smells.

The reason why I departed from JB instead of Tanjong Pagar was coz the tix were cheaper by approx. 50%. The amount that I paid for my train tix was RM50. (Note: I made a phone booking and had to go into JB to collect my tickets within a week of reservation. There's online booking that will be charged to your credit card, however, the transaction couldnt go through for mine that was why I called them).

The train station is located just opposite City Square and you can just walk from JB customs. Very very convenient.

Upon reaching Tanah Merah, there will be horde of cab drivers asking you if you are going to Kuala Besut. They should be charging you approx. RM70.

Something to share and for you guys to consider.:cool:

Thanks for the info.

My friend actually informed about this itinerary as Transnasional is already full on the 7th Aug.

The diff is that we are stopping at Wakaf Bharu station. I was told it is near to the jetty.

Status
Not open for further replies.