public wireless internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
anyone know anywhere in singapore can use wireless internet for freee?????

Originally posted by Linkster
wat r the equipment required?

nonid usernames or passwords at these free places? :dunno:

notebook / laptop / tabletpc / pda + wireless card

do a network scan and you will see "novenasquarexxxx" ... select it and you are connected ... no logn/password is required ..

Originally posted by megaweb

notebook / laptop / tabletpc / pda + wireless card

do a network scan and you will see "novenasquarexxxx" ... select it and you are connected ... no logn/password is required ..

wah...which means cannot trace? great for illegal activities ;p

Make sure you throw away your network card after you have perform illegal activities....as your MAc address of the card is traceable.;)

I believe funan has also installed wireless lan ..
can surf for free in John 3:16
hehe..
also can buy stuff..
haha..

Originally posted by ckfusg
Make sure you throw away your network card after you have perform illegal activities....as your MAc address of the card is traceable.;)

Trace to who?

i dun think u need an IC to register your network card when u purchase rite?

Originally posted by willyfoo
at-sunrice cafe in Fort Canning Park also has complimentary wireless access..

http://www.at-sunrice.com

Originally posted by kanekoichi
I believe funan has also installed wireless lan ..
can surf for free in John 3:16
hehe..
also can buy stuff..
haha..

can give info on how to config wireless access for these places?

Besides the places listed, Changi Airport T2 transit area and if you travel to KLIA also can use Wireless LAN to access Internet.

Now, come the config part. To gain access, need to know 2 parameters, SSID(Site ID) and Encryption key. In most of these site with free access, the encryption key is turn off, i.e do not use encryption at all. As for SSID, 2 choices. First choice use the client utility come with the PCMCIA card to do a scan on the base station. Once you got the SSID name, key in the SSID in the client configuration setup. Second method, if you have Avaya/Orinoco or Cisco PCMCIA card, use the following SSID.
Avaya/Orinoco - SSID use "ANY"
Cisco - SSID use "tsunami"
If you have Avaya/Orinoco or Cisco product, use the above SSID and turn off the encryption key. This will allow you you to gain access to any public site which offer free access without the need to key in the specific site ID.

Originally posted by Wai

Trace to who?

i dun think u need an IC to register your network card when u purchase rite?

The Mac address on its own is not traceable, after all no register is kept of who has what Mac address, however it's a data item you can be tracked with.

If the crime was sufficiently bad enough, they could pull MAC address logs from every 'public' site, cross reference them all - and maybe get an association with a login ID, then account details, etc...

Simple detective work.

We track MAC addresses on our LAN (Sydney University). I can track them to ports on ethernet switches. Whe know what port (thus what room/desk) the machine is located in, the IP address and often then we can work out the user...) Wireless has only just gone in, but the same information is available.

If some one did some serious hacking from wireless, we would just watch for that MAC address to pop up again and look at when and where. Eventually the user would access some service that required authentication with that wireless card and the gaps in their identity would fall into place.....

Avaya/Orinoco - SSID use "ANY"
Cisco - SSID use "tsunami"
If you have Avaya/Orinoco or Cisco product, use the above SSID and turn off the encryption key. This

The Linux and Windows XP Cisco Aironet drivers let you leave the SSID blank and the card will associate with any basestation in radio range....

I seem to recall a friend's Mac behaving in a similar fashion, it just assoicated with the strongest base station..

Originally posted by Wai

can give info on how to config wireless access for these places?

The SSID for at-sunrice is 'linksys'... no WEP encryption is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.