Public transport fare hike

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Wah, the formula says suppose to increase by 6.6% but luckily the compassionate committee says 3.2% now! the rest later so as to minimize impact. Heng ah!

Wait... Can someone explain the magic formula to me in layman's term har?

Wah, the formula says suppose to increase by 6.6% but luckily the compassionate committee says 3.2% now! the rest later so as to minimize impact. Heng ah!

The formula is whatever number they propose, the committee divide by 2 :bsmilie:

You need to add the total amount of fines paid for lapses in service and MRT breakdowns - to the revenue shortfall that the transport companies are complaining about. They need to recover that money from somebody - that means all of us.

You need to add the total amount of fines paid for lapses in service and MRT breakdowns - to the revenue shortfall that the transport companies are complaining about. They need to recover that money from somebody - that means all of us.

Fines? They simply mean left and right pockets .....and we know damn well who is wearing the pants ......:what:

I always like Gerard Ee.. But he really disappoints when he made a statement "from a affordability point of view"

Reminds me of MB Tan... Omg.

Fines? They simply mean left and right pockets .....and we know damn well who is wearing the pants ......:what:

See....even if you choose to not participate in no pants day, it is just a matter of time you lose till take off pants.

This , imo , is totally unjustified. Firstly, this two public transport company have healthy profits. Secondly, cost are simply passed on to consumers. Thirdly, government subsidies are from the reserves, ie tax payers.money. so if you are a tax paying citizen who have to take public transport, it is not just the mentioned percentage. Forthly, the outlook of global economy is bleak, why increase now? And the workforce is still dominated by foreigners, hence there should be no sudden surge in wages paid. I cannot comprehend this increase.

Will have to read the papers tomorrow. But I would think the government think that this increase will just be like previous. Initial cannot accept but will take it in stride. I think they may have pushed it. Good luck.

http://www.ptc.gov.sg/regulation/annualFareReviewProcess.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price-cap_regulation

Something that some may find of interest, anyways: http://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...ng-kongs-public-transportation-system/279528/

Last edited:
I never read what PTC or LTA report or try to understand their formula. it is just decimal points right? Hope it translate to just 5 cents per day for most people taking public transport. Why don't they just say that so that Ah Pek like me can understand.

I never read what PTC or LTA report or try to understand their formula. it is just decimal points right? Hope it translate to just 5 cents per day for most people taking public transport. Why don't they just say that so that Ah Pek like me can understand.

Today Asiaone says adult fare increase by 20 cents per trip!

Somemore PTC says 6% one shot too much so inc 3% , the rest rollover to future years.

And formula based on CPI which public transport is part of.

And who de fart got 5% wage inc this year to make up this anticipated national average?

So you see where it is all heading when they play with words. Future years will see snowball plus rollover effect plus forecasted wage inc. Then we all rollover with four legs up in the air. No need to go anywhere.

Today Asiaone says adult fare increase by 20 cents per trip!

Yar, for cash fares. Suggest you read the details..

http://ride.asiaone.com/news/genera...-transport-council-announces-fare-increase-32

Interesting..

At the same time, a new monthly unlimited travel pass for adult Singaporeans and permanent residents will also be introduced, at the price of $120 per month.

Wonder if it makes sense to get. :)

Last edited:
Yar, for cash fares. Suggest you read the details..

http://ride.asiaone.com/news/general/story/public-transport-fare-review-public-transport-council-announces-fare-increase-32

Interesting..

Wonder if it makes sense to get. :)

The thing is concession card fares are usually consist of rebates and discounts. The company would have still register 20 cents more per trip in their book.

And come the next round of review, they would still base on full fares, not fares after rebates for calculations.

And if one fine day, someone decides to take away the rebates, you will bear the full fare.

Last edited:
The thing is concession card fares are usually consist of rebates and discounts. The company would have still register 20 cents more per trip in their book.

And come the next round of review, they would still base on full fares, not fares after rebates for calculations.

And if one fine day, someone decides to take away the rebates, you will bear the full fare.

You know, I read your post a few times and I fail to see what point you are trying to make. Yes, concession fares may not be perpetual, but at the same time, would you rather not have them at all?

No one will remove the rebates. I suspect over the next few years rebates will only grow.
Because, if i'm not wrong, the govt is funding the newly announced rebates, not smrt.
So this increases ridership for smrt without smrt bearing any cost, i.e. govt indirectly gives money to smrt.
And Temasek holds the most smrt shares. :bsmilie:

Sorry, can you explain further how the concessions increase ridership for SMRT?

Because without concessions some groups of people will not be able to enjoy public transport.
Concessions enable these groups to enjoy public transport, hence increasing ridership.

Today Asiaone says adult fare increase by 20 cents per trip! Somemore PTC says 6% one shot too much so inc 3% , the rest rollover to future years. And formula based on CPI which public transport is part of. And who de fart got 5% wage inc this year to make up this anticipated national average? So you see where it is all heading when they play with words. Future years will see snowball plus rollover effect plus forecasted wage inc. Then we all rollover with four legs up in the air. No need to go anywhere.

This is my problem. Just tell me it is daily 20 cents increase. Those percentage going to confuse me. So layman like me will multiply 20 cents by 30 days. An increase of $6 per month lor. If more then I am cheated.

You know, I read your post a few times and I fail to see what point you are trying to make. Yes, concession fares may not be perpetual, but at the same time, would you rather not have them at all?

Really ah. Nvm lah, this is kpt. No need to be so structured.

I will watch Scam City season 2. Episode 1 is New Orleons. E2 is Mexico City. I wonder if Singapore will be featured.