public spirited pple....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Oct 7, 2002
Singapore bo gway hai!
Visit site
Are u a public spirited person?

Boy, was i in for quite a shock when i saw 2 seperate incidents recently.....:eek:

Incident 1, was at wdl civic plaza paying some bills when i saw this stern looking man walked in reprimanding 2 sch kids.....pri 6 i heard from what transpired between them....

This man actually caught this 2 kids smoking at the bus stop in their uniforms and was going to bring them to their sch principal...
They were near tears n kinda poor ting but this person was firm...And he sounded very determined to make it known to their princial even aft all the pleading....

Incident 2, happened today ard 6+ @ suntec city....the toliet entrance near courts, when a casucian man caught a boy in his very early teens, holding a cigarette. He made him stand at a corner while he called for security....

Pretty shock......was a world a difference years back when i saw this lady being molested.....and no one helped. (yes, i was one of those pple who din......cause i was pretty young n scare at that time. Regretted for not helping.)

:thumbsup:

Once on the MRT, I saw a man begging for $, when I alighted some stations later, I told the staff about this and they were shocked too.

Just one incident that i remembered the most personally.

n ya, last month saw a nokia hp in my sch library, early morning. reported it straight to the counter.

Saw a fat lady in office wear giving up her seat to a blind man on the bus last night...:)
Originally posted by Revo
Are u a public spirited person?

Boy, was i in for quite a shock when i saw 2 seperate incidents recently.....:eek:

Incident 1, was at wdl civic plaza paying some bills when i saw this stern looking man walked in reprimanding 2 sch kids.....pri 6 i heard from what transpired between them....

This man actually caught this 2 kids smoking at the bus stop in their uniforms and was going to bring them to their sch principal...
They were near tears n kinda poor ting but this person was firm...And he sounded very determined to make it known to their princial even aft all the pleading....

Incident 2, happened today ard 6+ @ suntec city....the toliet entrance near courts, when a casucian man caught a boy in his very early teens, holding a cigarette. He made him stand at a corner while he called for security....

Pretty shock......was a world a difference years back when i saw this lady being molested.....and no one helped. (yes, i was one of those pple who din......cause i was pretty young n scare at that time. Regretted for not helping.)

Well, I can't really tell what you mean in your post. I mean, you really think those people were helping those children and contributing civically to the society, or what? Sorry if I misinterpreted.

I disagree that they are doing the right thing, because no one likes to learn the hard way. Of course, I agree sometimes it's just inevitable, but for a total stranger to "slap the wrists" of another stranger is overboard. IF that civic-minded person HAD to instill some discipline into those youths why couldn't he motion them to one side and speak to them gently? Of course that might not help, but does it help for youths to refrain from doing something because of fear, or because they understand it's not right?

No offence whatsoever, Revo! :angel:

Originally posted by jOhO
Well, I can't really tell what you mean in your post. I mean, you really think those people were helping those children and contributing civically to the society, or what? Sorry if I misinterpreted.

I disagree that they are doing the right thing, because no one likes to learn the hard way. Of course, I agree sometimes it's just inevitable, but for a total stranger to "slap the wrists" of another stranger is overboard. IF that civic-minded person HAD to instill some discipline into those youths why couldn't he motion them to one side and speak to them gently? Of course that might not help, but does it help for youths to refrain from doing something because of fear, or because they understand it's not right?

im cool.....:)

actually it may seemed rude...but maybe these pple felt that someone had to do abt it....i guess...so they became the black faced bad man in their bid do something for the society so to speak...

since theres a level of gray matter on such topics...i guess we cant really say whose right whose wrong...

just sharing what i saw...:)

Originally posted by meng

Once on the MRT, I saw a man begging for $, when I alighted some stations later, I told the staff about this and they were shocked too.

Just one incident that i remembered the most personally.

n ya, last month saw a nokia hp in my sch library, early morning. reported it straight to the counter.

Saw a fat lady in office wear giving up her seat to a blind man on the bus last night...:)

begging for money? mm..how wld they handle such cases? just out of curiosity....

begging for money? mm..how wld they handle such cases? just out of curiosity....
i think most prob call them to go away ?

i do not agree with you. I believe it was genuine concern for the state of society that the men intervene and stop the kids.

Well for a total stranger to tell you your mistake is alright. Wrong is wrong. It takes effort to do this simple little things.

If you think going to one side and speaking gently over whats wrong helps for all kids. I think you are in another dimension. Some people only learn the hard way.

As for the teens, they should be corrected as soon as discovered.

If I had a son caught smoking by a public spirited stranger. I will be very grateful to him/her.

No offence jOhO but i think the guys did the right thing. Sometimes telling them nicely the 'offenders' will take the person as a sucker and ignore his advice the moment he turns away.

It takes one to be morally conscious to do that and i hope that i will be able to do that. Most singaporeans are too lazy to lend a helping hand or help guide these aimless, off-track kids back on. We just think, aiyah other pple's kids no need to bother so much if not pple will say you kaypo.

Just my silly opinion. Don't flame me. thanks.:D

A couple of years ago I was at Bra Brasha shopping complex doing some shopping. I saw a teenager lighting his cigarette and threw the used cigarette pack on the floor. He did this despite the crowd around him and a dustbin just a few metres away from him. I went straight to him told him off, asked him to pick it up and throw it into a dustbin...he became a bit embarrass and did so...
did the same thing to a chinese national while jogging the other day...

me....brave or not??? i m a lady u know...

Kudos to these good people. I am sure there are many more such public spirited pple in Singapore.

Originally posted by Koh Li Kuan
A couple of years ago I was at Bra Brasha shopping complex doing some shopping. I saw a teenager lighting his cigarette and threw the used cigarette pack on the floor. He did this despite the crowd around him and a dustbin just a few metres away from him. I went straight to him told him off, asked him to pick it up and throw it into a dustbin...he became a bit embarrass and did so...

Yes you are indeed a brave lady. And a righteous one too! :thumbsup:

Sure u are brave....Koh Li Kuan (don't mean to be rude by calling your full name ;p)

I won't dare to do so for fear of getting beaten up...

Courageous public spirited pple i must say but say to add is that others might think they have nothing better to do... sigh...

Originally posted by Koh Li Kuan

But did you stop him from smoking since he is a teenager?

duno..maybe report to ma ta...but I got off the mrt after i told the staff about this, think they alerted the staff at the next station to look out to board the train and "catch" him i think.

kudoz to the guys revo mentioned and Li Kuan.

i guess different people have different mindsets and opinions to judge and decide on different issues. So probably there's are right or wrong here. But if you think you are doing the right thing and it indeed benefits others, why not??

true story - coupla years ago a small boy (prob around 10-12 years) approached me outside a video arcade shop wearing a tee shirt and school shorts (his uniform top was peeking out his bag) and asked me for $2 to take bus home cos he didn't have enough.

i looked at him, at the game arcade (those were the days before LAN shops) and fired off questions @ him ("why dun you have enough money", "why dun call your parents", "where you live", "you dun need $2 to take a bus back, so why you need so much")... he stammered and hesitated, so i knew he just wanted $$$ to go play more arcade games.

so i got his address, dragged him to a cab and hauled his young @ss back to his house. think he was a bit bewildered by me but i thought at that time that was the safest way to stop him from begging money and going back to the arcade to play games.

wow :thumbsup:
sad to say, now is Lan games and CS...not ClubSNAP...
Originally posted by Larry
true story - coupla years ago a small boy (prob around 10-12 years) approached me outside a video arcade shop wearing a tee shirt and school shorts (his uniform top was peeking out his bag) and asked me for $2 to take bus home cos he didn't have enough.

i looked at him, at the game arcade (those were the days before LAN shops) and fired off questions @ him ("why dun you have enough money", "why dun call your parents", "where you live", "you dun need $2 to take a bus back, so why you need so much")... he stammered and hesitated, so i knew he just wanted $$$ to go play more arcade games.

so i got his address, dragged him to a cab and hauled his young @ss back to his house. think he was a bit bewildered by me but i thought at that time that was the safest way to stop him from begging money and going back to the arcade to play games.

Originally posted by Larry

I think that was unnecessary lah. All you needed to do was threaten to sit on him... :devil:

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I think that was unnecessary lah. All you needed to do was threaten to sit on him... :devil:
hey i was trying to protect his future, not destroy it... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.