Public Area Photography

allenleonhart

Sep 17, 2008
Just share a small encounter i had this morning, felt that perhaps some of our members doing street photography would be nice to pick up.

I was testing out my newly bought lens baby, trying to shoot the sg flags.
There was this daughter and father pair, whom i thought looked patriotic, and i wanted to show that in the photo.

After i'm done, father says he wants me to delete the photos with his daughter inside, citing his daughter is only 4, and he is concerned about it being uploaded to unauthorised websites. I told him that this was public area, and that he has no right to tell me so. Before i can show him the photos, which btw, was blur until you probably won't need a model release even for stock photography, he decides to interrogate me on why i am trembling (i'm on medication and its a bad side effect) and went on rambling about courtesy and that i am not allowed to shoot because child is underage (the last reason just set my fuse off). the man was very very agitated and unable to listen to reason.

well, i thought it would be a nice learning experience for myself to call in the cops, being the first time i am in such a situation where i feel threatened.

So the cops came, took down my details, i'm basically free to go. I only wished that guy was patient enough to wait for me to finish my words, before going all fullmetal jacket on me.

And yes. You are free to shoot anyone in singapore, so long as it is a public area. Just how much guts you have. The worst the guy can do to you in Sg is really just to hit you, which you can also then call in the cops. Otherwise, happy shooting:) courtesy is a nice to have, not a must have. but when the other guy wants to push your limits, knowing your rights helps you as a photographer. Below is the sharpest of the images i shot.

7708055614_7248ed7437.jpg

The shot

7708056110_eff6657d86_o.jpg

The 100% crop.​

Happy National Day Singapore

Last edited:
One of the reasons i avoid shooting kids - everyone thinks u're a pedo.

:bsmilie: but i still young and hansum leh. shoot kids people normally won't complain about me one.

Good on you for standing up to him. :bsmilie:

If it happened to me I'll probably just smile and look away and pretended I did not take a photo of them. :bsmilie:

Congratulations you now have a police record.

You may as well kiss your future as a minister goodbye.

If you stand for election as an opposition it would use against you.

:bsmilie:

unker sion this one not police record lah :bsmilie:. this one is just normal "recording of details" as part of the police job whenever they on patrol.
when i was younger, i squat by road shoot video in school uniform, also got kenna before. this one not counted as criminal record, so don't worry. anyone who makes a police call/complain, will have his details recorded. its just part of procedure.

some parents will feel uncomfortable even with female photographers shooting. so yup just avoid shooting kids. we live in dangerous times

:bsmilie: but i still young and hansum leh. shoot kids people normally won't complain about me one.

u young - yes.
u hansum - :think:

when i was younger, i squat by road shoot video in school uniform, also got kenna before.

More evidence of your "handum-ness" :bsmilie:

Don't shoot any kids, unless parents are paying you to do so.

Fyi, for stock photography, some agancies are very uptight about model release, if you can tell that is a person in the photo, even it is very small, can see face or not. will still ask you to get a model release.

Don't shoot any kids, unless parents are paying you to do so.

Fyi, for stock photography, some agancies are very uptight about model release, if you can tell that is a person in the photo, even it is very small, can see face or not. will still ask you to get a model release.

agree on this one uncle ben. so up to individual agency to decide. but on the other hand, i not doing as stock, so doesn't matter :)

When I was shooting in Cambodia a few years back... I was super careful when shooting kids in the streets... last thing I need is to be treated as a Pedo as many cases of Child Sex case happened there.... Read in quite a few photography magazine... in Western Countries... alot of parents will be calling police if you refuse to delete the photo... :sweat:

I also just noticed there is an unattended tripod with DSLR in the 100% crop image.

usually I always very scared someone will steal my lousy dslr. what more this nice one...

I also just noticed there is an unattended tripod with DSLR in the 100% crop image.

usually I always very scared someone will steal my lousy dslr. what more this nice one...

i think its a nikon J/V1... that daughter father pair one haha!

so far after shooting many kids on the street, i've never had an encounter quite like this one. in fact, the parents just smile at me and i show them the shot and you know, they pretty much like it.

perhaps it's just the face that they have to deal with :bsmilie:

I will expect a pg to delete a photo if it has mine /family photo in it and I requested...

I will expect a pg to delete a photo if it has mine /family photo in it and I requested...

i've been shooting really long, and i have many people who ask me to remove their shots. most of the time, they let me keep the shot after seeing it. i guess he thought i was someone he could push over perhaps? even demanded to see my IC.

I wouldn't mind really. but too bad, he went explosive on me before even looking at the photo first. liddat i no give chance liao.

Last edited:
allan, you need to wear a shirt like this :

objection_shirt_tshirt-p235317421993976259envm8_400.jpg

or carry a bag like this :

objection_phoenix_wright_chibi_hat-p148632041730450057enxqz_400.jpg

show it to them when/if they ask you to delete a photo.

you dunno meh?

Last edited:
allan, you need to wear a shirt like this :

objection_shirt_tshirt-p235317421993976259envm8_400.jpg

or carry a bag like this :

objection_phoenix_wright_chibi_hat-p148632041730450057enxqz_400.jpg

show it to them when/if they ask you to delete a photo.

you dunno meh?

how abt this one :bsmilie:
391547_10151019491223585_1028703941_n.jpg

and i want that hat/bag! it looks cute haha. if i ever become a lawyer, i'll do that finger pointing objection in a blue suit i tell ya.