PUB wants volunteer photogs for MacRitchie Res.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/index.php?entry=/news/20060105-mrvp.txt
:bigeyes:
The Public Utilities Board is looking for volunteers interested in assisting in the following:

1. "Advising the public on the dos and donts and proper usage of the Reservoir Park facilities and providing assistance to Park visitors and users related to amenities within the Reservoir Park by becoming our VOLUNTEER RANGER.
2. Providing information on the history and interesting facts related to MacRitchie Reservoir & its surrounding by becoming our VOLUNTEER GUIDE.
3. Submit interesting photos and articles about MacRitchie Reservoir & its surrounding by becoming our VOLUNTEER PHOTOGRAPHERS / WRITERS / DESIGNERS."

Please read the complete details in this pdf file (right-click or control-click to download).

volunteer ranger and photographer.. not a bad idea.. :think: let's see what the commitments are like..

hmm not sure .. jus posted here cos tot somemight be interested..
think its part of the movt to make the reservoir feel like part of ur place to take care?
with the opening of the reservoir for outdoor water activities I think the possiblity of interesting water sports shoots will be there...
hmmm hey i tot got someone post a 'in other words they want free photog' post? hmm disappeared..
might wanna fight for rights to the photos taken there though.. govt board can be quite demanding when they look for volunteers..

If y'all don't help, your utility bills will go up next year ;p :bsmilie:

benedium said:
Haha... Good one there! :bsmilie:

No time for such things though... :(

benedium said:

help ler mayb oso go up how? :devil:

they claim so much utility bills from us and they need volunteers?:sticktong

alechim said:
they claim so much utility bills from us and they need volunteers?:sticktong

Actutally, if you read your utility bill carefully, the biggest portion comes from your electrical usage. Your water bill is usually quite low, unless you waste a lot of water. In short, PUB is responsible for water matters for Singapore. I am not writing this because I work for PUB...;)

No offense meant but I find that PUB can well afford photographers for events and publicity. If more organisation like this start to have volunteer photographer to provide free service it will be a sad day for the photography industry. :(

blive said:
Actutally, if you read your utility bill carefully, the biggest portion comes from your electrical usage. Your water bill is usually quite low, unless you waste a lot of water. In short, PUB is responsible for water matters for Singapore. I am not writing this because I work for PUB...;)
that's correct. PUB only takes care of water & water-related matters (i.e. drinking water, drain & sewage). electricity & gas is taken care by power grid & power gas (if i'm not mistaken) respectively. these 2 depts, which were formerly part of PUB, was corporatised in 1985.

i've made some enquiries and the guy told me that since this whole thing is new... nothing solid have been carved in stone yet. will get another update from him soon.

by the way, if photography is a passion to you, shooting as a volunteer is a no biggie thing lah. volunteering and doing a good job at it is good. it shows your character.

mohgui said:
i've made some enquiries and the guy told me that since this whole thing is new... nothing solid have been carved in stone yet. will get another update from him soon.

by the way, if photography is a passion to you, shooting as a volunteer is a no biggie thing lah. volunteering and doing a good job at it is good. it shows your character.

Being a passion is one thing and being exploited is another. For volunteer organisation like SPCA, Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary or organisation that does not have revenue, I not only give my photography services and time but also contribute $. Here is one example of my photography works for SPCA (only photography by me, not art work, design etc)

44207346.jpg

But for a govt organisation or any money making organisation, they should be paying, that's my belief. (PS I am not anti govt organisation. I was in civil service before)

How else can full time photographers(esp events photog) in Singapore survive if all organisation follow suit.

aiyo...dun fight over freebies lah.

wan to giv dun wan to giv up to individual loh.

giv alreadi dun complain ppl use it for "peanuts". ;)

CYRN said:
aiyo...dun fight over freebies lah.

wan to giv dun wan to giv up to individual loh.

giv alreadi dun complain ppl use it for "peanuts". ;)

Not fighting just stating a point that's all.

Check all my other threads, I usually do not get involve with any of these, but organisation going out to get free service is just about getting my nerve.

I will leave it as it is, and will not post anymore here. My apologies to the thread starter for any OT. But my stand against such practice still stand.

:cool:

chngpe01 said:
Being a passion is one thing and being exploited is another. For volunteer organisation like SPCA, Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary or organisation that does not have revenue, I not only give my photography services and time but also contribute $. Here is one example of my photography works for SPCA (only photography by me, not art work, design etc)

hey,nice picture you got there for the SPCA. i know where you are coming from. but shooting as a volunteer for money making organisation can be a blessing in disguise. you'd never know who will be viewing your pictures. you might hit something big.

by the way, i'm a volunteer photographer for Beyong Social Service and i've no complains.

cheers dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.