Pub Photo Taking

Status
Not open for further replies.

300N

May 10, 2004
North East
www.photonski.com
Hi everyone,

I want to know have you ever took photo in a pub before since I am taking my friends soon. I am a using a DSLR camera but don't know what setting to use in this type of environment. Maybe you can give me some advice. Thanks

300N
:)

ISO 640-800, speedlight with bounce card if ceiling is too low, most pubs are ok to bounce from the top around 75-80 degrees

Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone for given me such an valuable information. Beside the speedlight with bounce card, ISO setting, lenses and what about others, such mode etc.

Thanks.
300N

300N said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone for given me such an valuable information. Beside the speedlight with bounce card, ISO setting, lenses and what about others, such mode etc.

Thanks.
300N

Full manual......

Most of the shots with flash ... ISO400.

Those shots without flash on ISO1250-1600 ... :D

I do not shoot digital. But the principle applies.

If you are after atmosphere, flash will certainly kill it! Much of the interest in Pub, jazz club photography is the atmosphere - the play of light and shadows. You are not after the photography of wedding dinners. So get rid of the flash for this!

Shoot with a high ASA, say about 1600-2400, and see what turns out!

Agreed with student ..... :thumbsup:

Use flash when you are shooting people of importance .. :D

depends on what u forsee your picture to turn out.

as for me,

i do quite abit of creative lighting ....

and for some shots, i use a rear curtain and so on and so forth.

if u just wanna capture some shots for some events...then its rather straightforward..

but if u wanna create lighting effects with movements and stuff....then its really up to your imagination....full manual, shutter priority oso can

Oh and yes.....get a couple of strong drinks b4 taking :D
:bsmilie:

confirm pictures :thumbsup:

lol :devil:

300N, u may need a wide angle if u shoot inside the pub. Most pubs are very narrow inside, except the very big ones.

Knight Ong with regards to your pub pictures, how did you angle your flash? It looks like the light came down at an angle cos the shadows look so...

On manual mode? It is quite difficult cos must always tweak the settings...

Your kind advice would be most appreciated! :)

hi, if you r shooting for the fun of it then jus let your creativity go, hav more drinks to get you going..if you r shooting for an important event, then it is a different ballgame..use flash, direct/indirect but remember most ceilings in pubs are dark, so bounce with care.. mostly, you have to understand how to use your camera n flash..I would shoot mainly with manual exposure settings with flash..no..ttl.. experiment with slow shutter speeds within hand held limits n second curtain flash sync also..

good luck..

Mosaic said:
Knight Ong with regards to your pub pictures, how did you angle your flash? It looks like the light came down at an angle cos the shadows look so...

On manual mode? It is quite difficult cos must always tweak the settings...

Your kind advice would be most appreciated! :)

I used the bounch card that came with the flash or flash direct ... sometime forgot the angle is not situation for vertical shooting hence very harsh shadow .. :(

Used manual mode all the way ... after a few drinks your pictures will definitely look artistic ... :bsmilie:

Looking forward to shoot again .. ;)

Pinoy_SAP said:
hehe, ill give an opposite advice. "Drink more" to bring out the artist in you! :D

seriously, iso 800 and flash will help a lot. :thumbsup:

I second that :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Sorrie, ask so many questions. What about the shutter speed and aperture when using them in manual mode?
e.g faster speed and small aperture (tv= 1/125,1/200, 1/250....., f8, f11,f22)
The above settings will it be all right to take photos. If not, what are the right settings?

Thanks
300N

ok, r u a newbie?
if so, try, 1/60 or slower at least Iso 400 n above,
@f5.6/8/11 it also depends on your flash also..how powerful it is??
dslr can preview rite??
shoot a test n check..
always test first..no film cost wat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.