pt n sht vs dslr cam

30yuan

Oct 11, 2010
thirtyuan.blogspot.com
hi i'm new to the forum, really cool to be able to dig up some useful tips here. I'm currently using canon ixus 50, iphone & sometimes a Gakkenflex twin lens toy cam. I always think that wif skills a ixus can shoot even better picts than dslr (at least when u have no budget for a dslr lah haha) but of coz wif a better cam it will be much easier and more fun to shoot(sometimes). So I'm contemplating of gettin a better cam to play wif

Anyway, any suggestions for:
1) a gd beginner to intermediate cam,
2) wif LCD, digital: so easy to review.
3) budget (if possible) below SGD$600 or as low as possible (do 2nd hand, older model fall under this price range? & is it worthwhile?).
4) A good anti-shake as I always have problem wif that.

and suggestions for a good shop where I can go touch touch see see cams wifout watchful eyes of salesmen? haha... anyway hope i don't get spam lah haha do give me ur view or even links for me to read up.

Why don't you try to search? Your topic comes up almost every day, and it's always the same answers.

Go to courts, harvey norman, best, feels and fondle the cams, then do some research on YOUR OWN before asking fro more details here.

Also, when doing a search, or even posting online, may I suggest you actually try using all of your keyboard? "pt n sht" means NOTHING, you're not on a 160-character SMS limit here. Please try to use proper words, it will take you further in life.

Agree with Rashkae, there are many threads similar to what you are asking.
With your budget, if you are getting nikon, try D3000 with kit lens. Go around shops at funan or peninsular to ask and compare price. If want to try, go courts, hvn, etc...

I'm not exactly sure what intermediate means but if your looking for a DSLR in your price range, 2nd hand would be your best bet. My 1st DSLR was 2nd hand. No issues at all (I think mine maybe 3rd hand and now it has gone to a 4th hand).

As far as I know anti shake on body are available on Sony, Nikon and Pentax (I think). All of them has LCDs. Might want to take a look at the buy and sell forum. Plenty of sellers. Can look up review websites like dpreview.com to get more info. Good luck

hi i'm new to the forum, really cool to be able to dig up some useful tips here. I'm currently using canon ixus 50, iphone & sometimes a Gakkenflex twin lens toy cam. I always think that wif skills a ixus can shoot even better picts than dslr (at least when u have no budget for a dslr lah haha) but of coz wif a better cam it will be much easier and more fun to shoot(sometimes). So I'm contemplating of gettin a better cam to play wif

3) budget (if possible) below SGD$600 or as low as possible (do 2nd hand, older model fall under this price range? & is it worthwhile?).

and suggestions for a good shop where I can go touch touch see see cams wifout watchful eyes of salesmen? haha... anyway hope i don't get spam lah haha do give me ur view or even links for me to read up.

1)Do a search

2)Eh...all DSLRs come with LCD screen leh...

3)Worthwile or not depends on you.Go to the B&S section and see for yourself

4)All brands have that...

5)Shops?We have a thread here already...

As far as I know anti shake on body are available on Sony, Nikon and Pentax (I think).

Nope. Nikon does not come with in-body antishake, though all 3 you mentioned use Sony sensors.

For Nikon and Canon, you need to buy a lens that has anti-shake. Not all do.

Rashkae, thanks for the correction. I had a quick check and Pentax k series comes with the anti-shake.

As far as I know, all Sony alpha come with the built-in anti-shake.

Please know that once you move to a DSLR, it will not be easier to shoot. In fact, it will be harder and more complicated to shoot. But you will have at your disposal, all the tools necessary to make pictures much more unique and beautiful than a PnS will allow you. But you have to put in the effort to learn how to handle these more advanced cameras.

Besides what has already been said, if you want any dslr below $600, it's probably gonna have to be second hand. Older models may be that cheap but they are likely not to be on sale at camera stores. Anyway, as you say, "wif skills a ixus can shoot even better picts than dslr". So, you could consider sticking with your ixus. Nothing wrong with that. With a better cam it'll be easier and more fun to shoot? Maybe more fun, but in the short run, definitely, definitely not easier.

And, if you want links to read up.. you can search google. Plenty of links there.

hi all thx for all ur advices, greatly appreciated! I'm still recce-ing ard, currently nikon d3100 seems like the closest to my budget & pretty cool beginner dslr. (found in nikon thread: latest price $840 at TK) Hav a great day! (If anyone can find anything cheaper but wif better specs than d3100 do inform me thx!)

certain lenses won't autofocus with the d3100, so consider that...

hi all thx for all ur advices, greatly appreciated! I'm still recce-ing ard, currently nikon d3100 seems like the closest to my budget & pretty cool beginner dslr. (found in nikon thread: latest price $840 at TK) Hav a great day! (If anyone can find anything cheaper but wif better specs than d3100 do inform me thx!)

You were already given other options... Both Sony and Pentax have cameras that have more features than the D3100 at a cheaper price. Why didn't you do research? Or is your "recce-ing" limited to only 2 brands?

got a Nikon d3100 from T K Foto a few days back..so far im quite please with it..the guide mode is really helpful for those who are changing from PnS camera to DSLR

Find out the brand and model that you are interested in, then go to the recommended shops in the forum to check out the street prices, not the RPP. Then check out the B&S thread here and see if you can find a good deal. Then its time to shoot shoot shoot.....:thumbsup:

You were already given other options... Both Sony and Pentax have cameras that have more features than the D3100 at a cheaper price. Why didn't you do research? Or is your "recce-ing" limited to only 2 brands?

Bro Rashkae...don't slam TS. He limited it to 2 brands...so let it be. His budget below $600...also let it be. He will dream on...we got photog outing to go liao...lets go guys. :cool: