PSP or DSL?

PSP or Nintendo DS Lite

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Quite tempted to get the DSL after reading this thread -> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=244725

Any PSP supporters here which can give their views why they chose PSP over DSL?

Is the graphics of PSP significantly better than DSL? I notice there are more "fun" games over at DSL... but is this going to change such that PSP going to catch up in this area and provide both fun and better quality games soon?

Quite tempted to get the DSL after reading this thread -> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=244725

Any PSP supporters here which can give their views why they chose PSP over DSL?

Is the graphics of PSP significantly better than DSL? I notice there are more "fun" games over at DSL... but is this going to change such that PSP going to catch up in this area and provide both fun and better quality games soon?

PSP is a wonderful media device, and is much more value for money in terms of hardware. Currently both PSP and DSL cost roughly the same. And PSP is much more technologically sophisticated than the DS Lite. So on paper, PSP won hands down for worth.

But since you'd read the discussion of Nintendo DS, you should know that worth is quite relative. No DS owner would ever pretend that the DS is more powerful than the PSP. But numerous DS owners are so contended with the large number of fun titles that are available on DS, that the technological PSP superiority is thrown away as a distant memory.

Is PSP going to catch up in the area of providing fun and better quality games? No one knows for sure. There were supposed to be more PSP games released during the holiday seasons of 2006 as compared to the DS, but I still more ramblings about DragonQuest appearing on DS than new titles released on the PSP.

Also, Sony is desperately trying to make PS3 a success. That's way more important than the PSP. It is a wonder if Sony is really ever committed in getting a foothold in the handheld gaming market...

To give PSP credit, more PS1 games are appearing to run on the PSP (currently through transfer from PS3 only). The homebrew market for the v 1.5 is also an added bonus, provided that you like to run emulators of vintage consoles. The ability to play UMD is also quite good, especially with the slashing of prices in some relatively new movies. And the capability of using PSP as a media centre is much much better than the non-existence media playing capability on the DS. As for the games, well, PSP HAS SUPER ROBOT WARS MX!!

DS will only have SUPER ROBOT WARS W come March 2007!

PSP games to look forward to in 2007

I own a psp, but hope to get a DSL in future. heh

So the ten reasons why PSP will be successful in 2007 are:

"1. New PSP

2. New peripherals

3. PS3 European release

4. Price drop

5. Downloadable video contents

6. Gran Turismo Mobile

7. Technical Improvement

8. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

9. Nintendogs and co.

10. Sony refocuses"

Okay... but don't get too excited on price drop, for PSP is already hitting rock-bottom pricing in non-european region; and european PS3 release isn't much of a concern too. Hope that MGS: Ops really fulfill the promises, and whenever will Gran Turismo Mobile be released? Is it gonna be another Duke Nukem Forever?

I personally prefer the games of the DS to PSP.. My bro got PSP and there are some games which are nice. My personal favs for the PSP are Super Robot Wars MX, MGS: Portable Ops, GTA Liberty Stories and Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins..:thumbsup: It depends on what type of games u like to play. If u want flashy, nice 3D graphics with lots of special effects then DS might nt be for u, but if u just want gd simple fun games then u can consider it. Super Mario Bros is still one of my fav games of all times..;)

HI CSer :heart:

Need advice.

I have a PSP & want to upgrade the Memory stick. (Memory stick Duo 32 MB magicgate)

Where can i get a Memory stick 512MB/1GB at low cost? what is the cost like?

what memory stick is this? is it a SD card, XD card?

can i buy other brand to use with PSP?

Lastly, how come the manual for the PSP in Japanese Language only???:eek:

Thanks very much. :kiss:

HI CSer :heart:

Need advice.

I have a PSP & want to upgrade the Memory stick. (Memory stick Duo 32 MB magicgate)

Where can i get a Memory stick 512MB/1GB at low cost? what is the cost like?

what memory stick is this? is it a SD card, XD card?

can i buy other brand to use with PSP?

Lastly, how come the manual for the PSP in Japanese Language only???:eek:

Thanks very much. :kiss:

1GB is abt $50 plus. It is basically a short version of normal Sony memory stick. As for manual, didn't bother to read :bsmilie:

2gb can find on hwz for $55 down ...

top reason for a PSP? ... the latest pro firmware =) .. 3.03 ^.- =P .. u know what i mean don't u?

tha's for ds or dsl or gba ... it's legal if u're using it for homebrew apps ... or for legal game backups .. but of course not legal if u don't own the games u put onto it ...

btw, this is not the forum to discuss this...

2gb can find on hwz for $55 down ...

top reason for a PSP? ... the latest pro firmware =) .. 3.03 ^.- =P .. u know what i mean don't u?

Don't get it.

I'm a DS owner who has never done any firmware upgrade... Heck! I'm still using the older DS (the phat one).

yups.. I've played both the PSP and DS for a long period of time before I finally decided.. DS is far more entertaining than PSP.

You most probably want to get PSP for PS2 re-makes of games.. but then.. might as well as PS2 and play on the big TV.`S

I feel that the 2 systems appeal to different group of gamers. In a distant past, games on PC is different from games on console (videogames). At one point, people who like the first person games on Xbox don't really like the RPGs on PSX (lines began to grey with PS2). Similarly, those who enjoy the games such as GTA on PSP don't really like games like Cooking Mama, Touch Wario or Elite Beat Agents on DS. As of now, the library of PSP and DS is quite of diff genre. RPG lovers have more options for DS, while action gamers who dig great graphics have more choices on PSP.

Give me gameplay over graphics anytime.

RPG lovers have more options for DS, while action gamers who dig great graphics have more choices on PSP.

What a difference a year make. Last year at around this time, everyone was wondering how come there ain't worthy RPG on DS...

So the ten reasons why PSP will be successful in 2007 are:
6. Gran Turismo Mobile

sorry to burst ur bubble hor. But i recently read the interview smwhere (think its gamespot or smthing), they mentioned that GT Mobile is still in construction. The developer said the game is no where near finished... but is heading somewhere... :cry:

Here's my 2cents worth....having owned both systems.

The PSP has got the technological edge over the DSLite no doubt, being a versatile multimedia player as well as a gaming machine.

Here's the problem for me, I also own a PS2 console, and very so often; titles are cross released between the 2 platforms(PS2/PSP). Having PSP titles costing almost as much as their PS2 equivalents; it makes more sense for me to be enjoying the games on the big screen at home, comfortable and uninterrupted(imho some games are made to be enjoyed on the big screen).

The DSLite however, offers an innovative way to engage gamers with the addition of a touch screen. Using games in the format of tiny cartridges makes loading times much faster too. And that's the key point for me. Having a portable system, you just want to be able to switch it on and play the game(ever timed how long it takes for a UMD to read/load?). And I don't know about you, but have you tried playing a wrestling game like WWE on your PSP? I'd hate to jab my buttons too hard knowing it's my only controller.

This is a personal opinion but the nature of the games released for the DSLite also makes it a bonus. Some may call it 'simple games' but that to me means being able to get 30mins out of playing my portable system; rather than having my playing time cut down in half because my UMD is spinning to load some awesome 3D effect on my PSP.

I must admit i was very excited when I had gotten my PSP(one of the first few eggheads to have bought a JP version=$$) back then. But soon the novelty worn off, the cost of Sony memory sticks not helping the situation, and I got tired of waiting for a game that isn't ported over from the PS2.

sorry to burst ur bubble hor. But i recently read the interview smwhere (think its gamespot or smthing), they mentioned that GT Mobile is still in construction. The developer said the game is no where near finished... but is heading somewhere... :cry:

Kept changing release date. At first state end of last year, then April, now said July...

That's why I'd said that GT Mobile may be going the way of Duke Nukem Forever mah... developing for 9 years and counting, and still no where near finished lor!

Here's my 2cents worth....having owned both systems.

The PSP has got the technological edge over the DSLite no doubt, being a versatile multimedia player as well as a gaming machine.

Here's the problem for me, I also own a PS2 console, and very so often; titles are cross released between the 2 platforms(PS2/PSP). Having PSP titles costing almost as much as their PS2 equivalents; it makes more sense for me to be enjoying the games on the big screen at home, comfortable and uninterrupted(imho some games are made to be enjoyed on the big screen).

The DSLite however, offers an innovative way to engage gamers with the addition of a touch screen. Using games in the format of tiny cartridges makes loading times much faster too. And that's the key point for me. Having a portable system, you just want to be able to switch it on and play the game(ever timed how long it takes for a UMD to read/load?). And I don't know about you, but have you tried playing a wrestling game like WWE on your PSP? I'd hate to jab my buttons too hard knowing it's my only controller.

This is a personal opinion but the nature of the games released for the DSLite also makes it a bonus. Some may call it 'simple games' but that to me means being able to get 30mins out of playing my portable system; rather than having my playing time cut down in half because my UMD is spinning to load some awesome 3D effect on my PSP.

I must admit i was very excited when I had gotten my PSP(one of the first few eggheads to have bought a JP version=$$) back then. But soon the novelty worn off, the cost of Sony memory sticks not helping the situation, and I got tired of waiting for a game that isn't ported over from the PS2.

Again, to give PSP credit, the crossing over of titles from PS2 to PSP is not necessarily a bad thing. There will always be some people out there who do not have the luxury to sit in front of a big screen for hours to play a RPG or Strategy game. Also, some games are so addictive that you would throw money away (at that period of time at least) to get the luxury of having the portability to play whenever and wherever. So, PSP isn't that bad for those times.

Heck! There's equivalent of these cross-overs on the DS as well you know? Animal Crossing for instance is just a port from the N64 and GC title. It cost at as much as a full-priced GC game too, and people love it, because you can visit the little town anywhere and anytime, to perform daily actions. Hmm... then again, I haven't visited my town in more than 3 months! Wonder if everyone is still there...

The loading time of PSP games is still an issue till date. But some developers have managed to cut down the loading time considerably, like Namco. If they are willing to share the secret, then I guess PSP game loading will not be that big a killer. Err.. DS loading take time you know. They usually have so many screens of their developers and publishers that it is just so irritating too.

As for abusing of system, I think the possibility of one abusing the DS is much more likely than that of PSP. My system has so much scratches after playing games like Rub Rabbit and Ouendan, that the screen become slightly less sensitive these days. But then, I'll still happily abuse it away, knowing that my console is probably in its mid-life or end of life liao. It's almost two years liao, and anything extra mileage is considered a bonus lor!

sorry. I am new to PSP.

Can someone tell me whether one can play AVI video files on it? Cos I am thinkin of using it as a video player beside a game machine.

Also, how long will the batt last if I were to play games or watch videos?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.