PS2 or Xbox?

PS2 or Xbox

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Ho

Jan 17, 2002
jasonho.clubsnap.org
I got this sudden interest to get a gaming console to replace my existing (and outdated?) gaming PC

Based on the pricing info over at this online Software Boutique ,

1) Playstation 2 Special
- PS2 [NTSC-J] mod (can play D9 games + 'off' mod chip) with 1 x Sony Game Controller + 1 x Sony 8MB memory
- S$439

2) Xbox
- S$388
- 1) Sega GT 2002 / Jet Set Radio Future (2-in-1) or 2) Dead or Alive 3
- get any XBox game at S$10 Off & Special Price for 2nd Game Pad

3) XBox Special
- only S$499 (up to 5 Games)
Limited period only

I wonder if anyone did any comparison between the 2? What are the pros and cons for PS2 and Xbox?

IMHO, the game controller for XBox is awkward to use. games-wise they are both pretty strong...

get the smaller ones for asian hands. ;-)

Originally posted by chaotic
get the smaller ones for asian hands. ;-)
hehheh actually my hands are pretty big. the US ones fit me better. it's not that they dun fit, it's the layout of the buttons and mini joysticks. very awkward. i was reviewing one with Halo, and i had heck of a time controlling the character.

save money, don't buy. Borrow from your friend for a week or two, and you'll prob become sian with it and go back to cameras. ;)

Playstation w/ mod chips
Hve more priate games selling at RM4 (cheaper than Priate X-box games) in Johor, but X-Box Graphics are much better.

X-Box unless you spend around $200 to get it modify, will not be able to play priate games at RM20-30. Therefore not worth it to buy one and spend $70-100 for the original games.

X-Box has Less games than Playstation but more will be coming in future.

I have a Playstation 2, I bought it cos at that time there's no priate games. If I were u now I will go ahead with the Modify X-box.

But if you decided to buy PS2 u must do some research on the type and brand of the Mod chips cos there are a few for different bratch of PS2 .

It would be better if you visit the following site before you make any decision.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=59

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=58

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=76

PS2!!! Support Sony!!!! Boycott Microsoft!!!

For PS2, you have to note that you'll need the Messiah mod to play DVD9 games and avoid swapping of discs.

For Xbox, don't like it... it's just a portable CPU, has HDD inside. It offers nothing new from the gaming consoles that's been around for so long.

Big and bulky too... PS2 is cooler in both shape and design.

Originally posted by espn
PS2!!! Support Sony!!!! Boycott Microsoft!!!

For PS2, you have to note that you'll need the Messiah mod to play DVD9 games and avoid swapping of discs.

Is that the best mod chip around?

I understand that both PS2 and XBox can play DVDs. Are they both region free? Is there any incompatibility issues?

Yep the Messiah Pro chip is the best mod now, too bad mine is already mod once, and now it'll cost me another $150 for the mod, pocket is willing but the darkside is luring... hiak hiak.

For the PS2 after modding I believe it can play any region of DVDs. For the Xbox I can't comment, cos I don't have one :)

See what kind of games you play. If RPG, no need to consider. Confirm PS2 better.

I would go for PS2 .. since i like RPG games ..juz like CHYeo.. haha..
then alot of games to play also.. xbox no doubt the graphics are good .. but i still like the japanese touch.. rather than the US product.. hehehe;)

Originally posted by chyeo
See what kind of games you play. If RPG, no need to consider. Confirm PS2 better.

Xbox doesnt offer RPG games?

The type of games I play are like AOE, Rise of Nations, Ultima Online, Baldurs Gate, etc..

Originally posted by Jason Ho
The type of games I play are like AOE, Rise of Nations, Ultima Online, Baldurs Gate, etc..

PS2 has more games like this.

if ya like RPGs, one good reason to get a XBox is KOTOR...which should be coming out soon...

personally, i bought my ps2 for GT3 and we6fe

Most of Xbox games are just PC games or recycled PS2 games...NO originality except Halo & Splinter Cell :thumbsup: No doubt graphic is top notch, but...

The main purpose of having gaming console is purely for games, games & games. PS2 is made for tat purpose...50 million ppl (as March '03) can't be wrong...:p...

Xbox :kok: PS2

*henavs ran away* :D

Not to mention the Xbox is running an intel chip with HDD, so you'll notice sometimes there are lag when loading data or during gaming.

paiseh, but ..:embrass:

are such ps2 or xbox or whatever video games really that good to play??i mean, seriously, whats so good about such video games thingys??:dunno: coz i never play them b4; and my closest experience to such thingys is those games in arcade..ah but i like those "1 aeroplane move left/right/up/down shoot down 1000 planes" those types, i think thats the most fun of such videogames..can anyone pls enlighten me..

[ps i play yahoo reversi and microsoft freecell :thumbsup: ]

Originally posted by Jason Ho
Xbox doesnt offer RPG games?

japanese rpg and US rpg is totallly different. Final fantasy is rpg, baldur gates is also rpg. but they are not the same. there are a lot of debate between US rpg vs Japan rpg. the debate can last for few pages, but i think it is better for one to understand if they really played it before.

in ps1 , there are tons for PRG games. so i believe for ps2, there will be also tons of rpg games . but well, if u are into BG or UO, then you better stick to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.