PS cropping with ratio


Status
Not open for further replies.

P24

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
104
0
0
47
Singapore
www.photography24.com
#1
Hi,

using the crop tool I can use px or cm or inch to crop it to a specific size. Is there any way to say the ratio of the crop should be 3:2 and the width and height is just that what i crop (means no resize of crop)? :think:

Sven
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#2
No.

What I do is set to my favourite resolution (2160 x 1440), crop to that size (even if it means resampling upwards from a smallish picture) then resample to the size I want.

You get the ratio you want.
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#3
think U'll have to calculate manually..

E.g.:

If your pix is 800x600, and wants to crop to 3:2

then 800 * 2/3 = 533.333 approxiamtely

so U resize canvas to 800x533 can already...
 

Noir

New Member
Apr 3, 2003
306
0
0
42
gallery.repdetect.net
#4
P24 said:
Hi,

using the crop tool I can use px or cm or inch to crop it to a specific size. Is there any way to say the ratio of the crop should be 3:2 and the width and height is just that what i crop (means no resize of crop)? :think:

Sven
I can relate to this. I too find it frustrating that, as powerful an image editing software as it is, cropping by ratio without any resizing just can't be done easily in photoshop. However if u use C1 in your workflow, u can crop it in whatever ratio as needed, before bringing it into photoshop.
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#5
Noir said:
I can relate to this. I too find it frustrating that, as powerful an image editing software as it is, cropping by ratio without any resizing just can't be done easily in photoshop. However if u use C1 in your workflow, u can crop it in whatever ratio as needed, before bringing it into photoshop.
Hey, guys !
Photoshop 7 does allow you to crop in either Normal, Fixed Size or Fixed Aspect Ratio mode. ;)
In the Fixed Aspect Ratio mode, if you set a H:W ratio of 3:2, you can expand or reduce a marque rectangle with sides in that fixed ratio and position it over the image until you are satisfied with the size and position before cropping. Is that what you wanted?
 

Noir

New Member
Apr 3, 2003
306
0
0
42
gallery.repdetect.net
#6
tomcat said:
Hey, guys !
Photoshop 7 does allow you to crop in either Normal, Fixed Size or Fixed Aspect Ratio mode. ;)
In the Fixed Aspect Ratio mode, if you set a H:W ratio of 3:2, you can expand or reduce a marque rectangle with sides in that fixed ratio and position it over the image until you are satisfied with the size and position before cropping. Is that what you wanted?
How is the Fixed Aspect Ratio cropping mode selected in photoshop? I have been trying in vain to find this option.

Thanx! :)
 

Feb 17, 2002
169
0
0
44
cynics.info
#7
when you select the "rectangular marquee too", if you look at the top tool bar, you'd see a "style" which by default should say "Normal"...click on it to select other modes. eg fixed aspect ratio then you can fill in the width and height ratio.
 

togu

Senior Member
Jul 11, 2002
5,290
0
0
44
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
#8
Yes, the "style - normal/fixed aspect ratio/fixed width" will appear in the option bar on top when you selected the Marquee tool. After you made your selection, you can select "Crop" from the "Image Menu".

Personally I'll prefer the fixed aspect ratio thingy to pop up when you select the crop tool instead. And ideally when you lock it at 3:2 ratio, whatever width you type in the crop width, the height will be automatically calculated.


Anyone knows if that's possible? ;p
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#9
This is already possible in Photoshop 5.0.

In Photoshop 5.0, select the crop tool and then click Windows|Show Options.

You will then see a Window with Crop Options tab.

Select the Crop Options tab and select Fixed Target Size, then put 3 for Width and 2 for Height.

After which, just select within your photo - the selection will be constrained to 3:2 ratio.

The marquee tool also has similar settings.

Should be there in Photoshop 6.0 as well, just that you might need to explore
since the settings might change to diff place/name.
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#10
togu said:
Yes, the "style - normal/fixed aspect ratio/fixed width" will appear in the option bar on top when you selected the Marquee tool. After you made your selection, you can select "Crop" from the "Image Menu".

Personally I'll prefer the fixed aspect ratio thingy to pop up when you select the crop tool instead. And ideally when you lock it at 3:2 ratio, whatever width you type in the crop width, the height will be automatically calculated.


Anyone knows if that's possible? ;p

Possible using a trick - use the crop tool method mentioned above to crop to the ratio you want first.

Then use the Image Size and constraint propotion - since now you already in the
ratio you want, whatever width you change to, the height should be change according to the ratio you want.
 

Royce

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
538
0
0
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
#12
kst what you said doesn't make sense. You cannot specify fixed ratio when cropping. You can only specify image dimensions. Therefore you would need to calculate those first and do it that way - although that would be quite tricky as you are going to crop the image, so how would you know the final dimensions?

Sadly there is no way to do this with the Crop tool. You need to use the marque tool first (which supports fixed aspect ratio) then do the crop. How did Adobe overlook this one? Maybe not in issue in PhotoShop CS? Any CS users can confirm?
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#13
Royce said:
kst what you said doesn't make sense. You cannot specify fixed ratio when cropping. You can only specify image dimensions. Therefore you would need to calculate those first and do it that way - although that would be quite tricky as you are going to crop the image, so how would you know the final dimensions?

Sadly there is no way to do this with the Crop tool. You need to use the marque tool first (which supports fixed aspect ratio) then do the crop. How did Adobe overlook this one? Maybe not in issue in PhotoShop CS? Any CS users can confirm?
As I mentioned above, you CAN crop with fixed aspect ratio even in Photoshop 5.0. It's not limited to marquee tool only.

Adobe didn't overlook it - just some users who thought they know everything but in fact still a lot to learn ;)

Did you read my posting above ?
 

Royce

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
538
0
0
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
#14
kst, yes i read your post, hence my post.

Perhaps I need to clarify. The crop tool does not allow for specification of fixed aspect ratio (ie. 3:2). It only supports fixed dimensions (eg. 1024 x 768 pixels). The marque tool on the other hand does allow fixed aspect ratio.

This is in PS 7.0.
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#15
Royce said:
kst, yes i read your post, hence my post.

Perhaps I need to clarify. The crop tool does not allow for specification of fixed aspect ratio (ie. 3:2). It only supports fixed dimensions (eg. 1024 x 768 pixels). The marque tool on the other hand does allow fixed aspect ratio.

This is in PS 7.0.
Sorry if I sound a bit impatient.

You are right that the crop tool can't really using fixed aspect ratio.

But I found a workaround.

First use the marquee tool to fixed aspect ratio select the area you want.

Now, the trick is change the tool to crop and click Image|Crop - and you have
a cropped image based on your previous marquee selection.
 

Royce

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
538
0
0
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
#16
In PS 7.0 there is no option, it is implicitly fixed image size. The marque tool has 3 options (specified in the Style box): Normal, Fixed Aspect Ratio, Fixed Size.

With the Crop Tool, if you enter 3 for width and 2 for height, when you drag the crop selection, the selection will be have a fixed aspect ratio of 3:2, but if you press enter to do the crop, your image will be 3 x 2 pixels in size. Not exactly the desired outcome. :eek:

Have you tried it on PS 7.0?
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#17
Royce said:
In PS 7.0 there is no option, it is implicitly fixed image size. The marque tool has 3 options (specified in the Style box): Normal, Fixed Aspect Ratio, Fixed Size.

With the Crop Tool, if you enter 3 for width and 2 for height, when you drag the crop selection, the selection will be have a fixed aspect ratio of 3:2, but if you press enter to do the crop, your image will be 3 x 2 pixels in size. Not exactly the desired outcome. :eek:

Have you tried it on PS 7.0?
You are right - see my updated posting above for a workaround.
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#18
I tried with Photoshop 6.0 also and it works the same :

Use marquee tool with Constrained Aspect Ratio option with width:3 and height:2 and select your desired area on the photo.

Goto Image menu and click Crop - that's it !

Anyone with Photoshop 7.0 care to check this out and share if it works the
same as well ?
 

SuRfTeC

New Member
Oct 17, 2003
371
0
0
Singapore, East
Visit site
#19
sorry that i have to ask a very stupid... please pardon me.. :embrass:

why do all of you need to crop to 3:2? isit because of the 4R size which is 6 inch by 4 inch?

if there is a size that is already 3:2 in the digital camera... then do we still need to crop the picture...?

anyone can give a general picture size that is normally used to develop 4r digital printouts? (in pixel measurement eg: 2288 by 1520)

cheers
 

kst

New Member
Mar 7, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#20
SuRfTeC said:
sorry that i have to ask a very stupid... please pardon me.. :embrass:

why do all of you need to crop to 3:2? isit because of the 4R size which is 6 inch by 4 inch?

if there is a size that is already 3:2 in the digital camera... then do we still need to crop the picture...?

anyone can give a general picture size that is normally used to develop 4r digital printouts? (in pixel measurement eg: 2288 by 1520)

cheers
4R is 6" by 4 " which is 3:2 ratio - that's why we need to crop if your digital camera takes at 4:3 ratio - mine does.

Think some camera can be set to 3:2 ratio - in that case I think you don't need
to crop.

Anyone tried the above crop method on Photoshop 7.0 ?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom