PS 7.0 vs CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teo

May 17, 2002
Visit site
Hi
Is the PS CS2 a better version over the PS 7.0?
( I mean with upgraded functions which PS 7.0 dose not have)

TIA
cheers

definately better is CS 2....its got a feature for ya to re adjust exposure should your image come out too overexposed or underexposed....i think there's also a red eye removal tool too...

It depends on whether you are satisfied with what PS7 can do with you...If you are, then PS7 is good enough...if it's speed you want, then CS1 is actually faster than CS2...

Hi
CS2 has got a collection of new features including useful tools such as the red eye brush (see above), the spot healing brush, smart sharpen, and the vanishing point tool. All of these are great, but perhaps the most useful tool is the ability to work directly with RAW files. Some of these are in CS1, but I waited to do the upgrade, so I upgraded from PS 7.0 to CS2 and I have been very happy with the software.

Having said all that... You will need to invest in some RAM. CS2 is a hungry beast and to make it run at a reasonable speed you will need a decent computer with a minimum of 1Gb. On the other hand PS 7.0 worked reasonably well on my laptop, which has a measly 512Mb, so the choice is yours.

If you have the hardware, then I would say go for it. If not, then wait until you do your next hardware upgrade and do the software at the same time.
Justyn:cool:

Thanks for all the great advise.

cheers

7.0 is two iterations behind CS2. Digital photography has progressed a lot since the days of 7.0... goes without saying that CS2's much better suited to the needs of tdy's photographers. If the features adobe added weren't 100% useful to at least 75% of users, nobody would bother to upgrade.

If you're interested in what CS2 has in store, check out the many detailed reviews available on the web.

Yeah, but are the improvements worth it to the user to fork out, what is it, $500 for the upgrade or over $1000 for the product? Not to mention the hardware upgrade? If money is not prob, or if the improvements are worth it, then sure, CS2 is great :) or get a second hand CS1 which would be faster pound for pound than CS2...

I have to tell you, 7.0 is really a lot faster than CS2.

shojibake said:
I have to tell you, 7.0 is really a lot faster than CS2.
Given sufficient memory, I doubt so.

unseen said:
Given sufficient memory, I doubt so.

Actually, it's true..
Given sufficient memory, PS7's does run faster than CS2, which runs faster than CS1. That's for the basic features and filters.
Of course, PS7 doesn't have filters like the lense correction, smart blur/ sharpen etc.. So it all boils down to your needs.

Haven't used 7 for some time now, but from personal experience, and from talking to others, like the guy who did the DI for the current campaign of a famous mineral water brand, CS1 feels faster than CS2...don't think its a platform prob as well cause I run Win64 with 4GB RAM and he runs a Mac G5...it's just more resource intensive I guess...that's for doing heavy DI work of course, and also, CS2 does have some tools absent from CS1 which makes some aspects of DI easier and the longer wait justifiable...but really, for most every day things, like red eye and healing, 7 is good enough...there is a monetary investment in upgrading, in not just the software but also optimised hardware to make use of the software, and just like for cameras, the latest and greatest might not be necessary or worth the investment if what you have is really good enough...

theRBK said:
Haven't used 7 for some time now, but from personal experience, and from talking to others, like the guy who did the DI for the current campaign of a famous mineral water brand, CS1 feels faster than CS2...don't think its a platform prob as well cause I run Win64 with 4GB RAM and he runs a Mac G5...it's just more resource intensive I guess...that's for doing heavy DI work of course, and also, CS2 does have some tools absent from CS1 which makes some aspects of DI easier and the longer wait justifiable...but really, for most every day things, like red eye and healing, 7 is good enough...there is a monetary investment in upgrading, in not just the software but also optimised hardware to make use of the software, and just like for cameras, the latest and greatest might not be necessary or worth the investment if what you have is really good enough...

Could it be Bridge that's making the impression? It's really a terrible piece of work compared to the File Browser in CS1.

Don't think so...I disabled the start Bridge with CS2 option...agree with you, prefer the CS1 browser...

Status
Not open for further replies.