Provia 100F and Reala

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11x

Jan 12, 2004
Canberra,Australia
Hi,

If the objective is to digitise the films with a scanner, is there still a point in using the slide film? Some points courtesy of Google:

- The Reala and Provia has about the same brilliant colours.
- The RMS figures for slides and negatives cannot be compared directly.
- Negs have a wider exposure latitude, so you can get more of the bright sky and dark foliage.

Will the scanned negative turn up larger grain?

Your comments appreciated.

thanks
Matthew

Wah, cheem ... this seems to be a question combining both digital & traditional darkroom. No wonder u post here ;p

good question.... i wonder have anybody done that experiment before? I was about to scan a slide and a neg and i realized that comparision would not be valid since theya re 2 different pictures. anyone have a recommended test strategy on that?:think:

wiz23 said:
Wah, cheem ... this seems to be a question combining both digital & traditional darkroom. No wonder u post here ;p

wiz... you also trying to add post count outside kopitiam har.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

idor said:
wiz... you also trying to add post count outside kopitiam har.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
what? :dunno: idor, can u don't OT here, let's bring this back to STG :bsmilie:

wiz23 said:
what? :dunno: idor, can u don't OT here, let's bring this back to STG :bsmilie:

okay.... so back to topic..... you got any test strategy a not? i wanna take 2 of the same pic.... but then I dun wanna waste 2 rolls of film..... you got cheaper alternative a not?

idor said:
okay.... so back to topic..... you got any test strategy a not? i wanna take 2 of the same pic.... but then I dun wanna waste 2 rolls of film..... you got cheaper alternative a not?
How to take 2 identical shots using Provia & Reala without wasting film? :think:

Find another friend with the same camera model and load one with Provia, one with Reala?

wiz23 said:
How to take 2 identical shots using Provia & Reala without wasting film? :think:

Find another friend with the same camera model and load one with Provia, one with Reala?

using that method still waste a lot of film leh...

wiz23 said:
No, u won't waste film. Just need to wait till both photogs finish the 2 rolls.

okay lah... back to main topic lah.... if i got 2 different pics... 1 on provia and 1 on reala... any way i can scan and determine if 1 is grainier than the other?

st11x said:
Hi,

If the objective is to digitise the films with a scanner, is there still a point in using the slide film?

Slides have richer colors than negatives. Reala is good for portraits and Provia is good for landscape.

Grain wise, both Provia and Reala should be similiar.

icarus said:
Slides have richer colors than negatives. Reala is good for portraits and Provia is good for landscape.

Grain wise, both Provia and Reala should be similiar.
U have any sample pics scanned from both kinds of film?

actually...reala tends to accentuate the reds, making skin tones look a little off someitmes. perhaps ProS, ProC or ProH would be better portraiture films.

Just a quick noob question here. Provia is the 'cheaper' version of velvia? And Reala is one of the higher end negatives? How DOS the NPS and NPC compare to these..

wiz23 said:
Wah, very nice colours leh ... Did u PP after scanning?

Yes, Resized and sharpened in PS.

there is no comparision between slide or neg. decide what u want your end result to be then choose either one. slide for tabletop viewing or neg for easy printing, etc. scanning cannot reproduce fully the colours captured in slides/negs, so u will have to do some tweaking on PS anyway. Even after printing of the neg, it has gone through a step of intepretation by a machine on how colours should appear. while for the slide, digitised then printed, 2 steps (assuming PS for both then 3 steps). How can u compare that to the slide? u can't. there is no comparision when they are different.

provia is NOT the cheaper velvia. provia gives enhanced colours, astia gives natural colours and velvia gives super saturated rich colours. velvia may be king for landscapes but cannot be used for portraits as it gives skintones a reddish cast. i suggest reading up on their datasheets for clarification on their usages.

Have shot all 3 before.
Grain wise, on reala is larger than provia (fine version).

Reala colours seem muted, coz of the larger dynamic range that can be recorded, making the same image look less contrasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.