Provia 100F / 100?


Status
Not open for further replies.

tcct

New Member
Aug 13, 2004
11
0
0
#1
I was at fotohub earlier this week to get some provia 100f processed, and also to top up my film stock.

But the nice counter lady there was saying that they only have the provia 100 (no f) now, and cost $11+ without processing.

'f' or no 'f' ... are they the same?

Thanks in advance!

CT
 

sweat100

Senior Member
Jul 7, 2002
1,624
4
38
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
#2
They are different. If I am not wrong, the 100F was introduced earlier as a cousin to the renowned velvia 50. Many photographers didnt like the colour palette of the 100F. And now fuji made the velvia 100, the improved emulsion with chracteristics very similar to the velvia 50. It can do longer exposure without the need for compensation due to reciprocal failure. Velvia 100 is more ex than the 100F and the stocks finish fast!
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#3
sweat100 said:
They are different. If I am not wrong, the 100F was introduced earlier as a cousin to the renowned velvia 50. Many photographers didnt like the colour palette of the 100F. And now fuji made the velvia 100, the improved emulsion with chracteristics very similar to the velvia 50. It can do longer exposure without the need for compensation due to reciprocal failure. Velvia 100 is more ex than the 100F and the stocks finish fast!
When i got my velvia 100, it costs $10.50 per roll.
 

Prismatic

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2003
1,323
0
36
38
In the void.
Visit site
#4
If I remembered correctly, the 'F' in Fujifilm means fine grain.
The Provia 100 (RDPII) was released first, I think the RMS grain size was 9 or 10, while the new Provia 100F (RDPIII) RMS grain size was 8.

Velvia also comes in both 100F and 100 versions. Their RMS value are the same but the colour balance of the the 2 films are slightly different.
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#5
Prismatic said:
If I remembered correctly, the 'F' in Fujifilm means fine grain.
The Provia 100 (RDPII) was released first, I think the RMS grain size was 9 or 10, while the new Provia 100F (RDPIII) RMS grain size was 8.

Velvia also comes in both 100F and 100 versions. Their RMS value are the same but the colour balance of the the 2 films are slightly different.
So the 100F is better? Today i collected my unmounted slides from Ruby Photo and i used the Velvia 100 (non-F) and the effects are 'WOW'!!! So 3D-like is a whole lot better than negatives. Sorry abt being so excited cos it's my first roll of slides. ;)
 

sweat100

Senior Member
Jul 7, 2002
1,624
4
38
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
#6
Snoweagle said:
So the 100F is better? Today i collected my unmounted slides from Ruby Photo and i used the Velvia 100 (non-F) and the effects are 'WOW'!!! So 3D-like is a whole lot better than negatives. Sorry abt being so excited cos it's my first roll of slides. ;)
In my opnion, I think the 100 should be better than the 100F because the colour palette is similar to the velvia 50. Both have RMS 8. Jus that the 100F has Multi Color Correction Layer (MCCL) Technology to significantly boost color fidelity and improve Image Stability. That is according to fuji website.

Yes.. I love those slides esp when u view then underneath a loupe and light box. Brillant. Seeing larger formats like MF and LF can really get blown off! :bigeyes:
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#7
sweat100 said:
In my opnion, I think the 100 should be better than the 100F because the colour palette is similar to the velvia 50. Both have RMS 8. Jus that the 100F has Multi Color Correction Layer (MCCL) Technology to significantly boost color fidelity and improve Image Stability. That is according to fuji website.

Yes.. I love those slides esp when u view then underneath a loupe and light box. Brillant. Seeing larger formats like MF and LF can really get blown off! :bigeyes:
Yes that's what I did at Ruby Photo and i was so amazed at the clarity and colour of slides. Seems to me that it's the ultimate one haha... :bsmilie:
 

Jazz

New Member
Oct 10, 2005
50
0
0
#9
In my opnion, I think the 100 should be better than the 100F because the colour palette is similar to the velvia 50. Both have RMS 8. Jus that the 100F has Multi Color Correction Layer (MCCL) Technology to significantly boost color fidelity and improve Image Stability. That is according to fuji website.

Yes.. I love those slides esp when u view then underneath a loupe and light box. Brillant. Seeing larger formats like MF and LF can really get blown off! :bigeyes:

So, which one better (good saturation) for lanscape fotography? Velvia 100 or 100F ... or Kodak 100Vs..? :confused:
 

aimlessfool

Deregistered
Feb 22, 2004
65
0
0
35
#10
They are different. If I am not wrong, the 100F was introduced earlier as a cousin to the renowned velvia 50. Many photographers didnt like the colour palette of the 100F. And now fuji made the velvia 100, the improved emulsion with chracteristics very similar to the velvia 50. It can do longer exposure without the need for compensation due to reciprocal failure. Velvia 100 is more ex than the 100F and the stocks finish fast!
Do you know where to get the compensation timings for reciprocal failure?
 

SilentWave

New Member
Oct 30, 2003
256
0
0
Visit site
#14
Guys, the thread starter asked about the difference between Provia 100F and Provia 100, NOT between the various versions of Velvia.

Prismatic got it right. Check the product code (not the name) to see which version of Provia that the store sells. Older version of Provia 100 is coded as RDPII. IIRC this film was discontinued not long after Provia 100F was introduced. The newer Provia 100F is coded as RDPIII.

Btw Velvia and Provia are different emulsions. One is not better than the other. Comparing them is like comparing apples with oranges.
 

yeocolin

New Member
May 2, 2003
816
0
0
39
Singapore
www.flickr.com
#15
Guys, the thread starter asked about the difference between Provia 100F and Provia 100, NOT between the various versions of Velvia.

Prismatic got it right. Check the product code (not the name) to see which version of Provia that the store sells. Older version of Provia 100 is coded as RDPII. IIRC this film was discontinued not long after Provia 100F was introduced. The newer Provia 100F is coded as RDPIII.

Btw Velvia and Provia are different emulsions. One is not better than the other. Comparing them is like comparing apples with oranges.
Silentwave is right. Choosing which emulsion to use, be it Kodak VS, Velvia, Provia is like choosing to paint in water colour, oil or postel colours. Its all about taste. Many say velvia and kodak VS is not good for portrait, but good for landscape, while provia is good for portrait. But ultimately, the person who makes the final call is the person creating the image, aka the man who took the picture. Cos you have the final image in your mind and thus choosing the emulsion to best create that image into reality.

Have fun with slides. :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom