Proud to be a wedding photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arampan

Nov 29, 2004
Jurong West
I recently met a photographer during a wedding shoot that claimed to be a professional photographer and not a wedding photographer... Sounds funny? Well... here's wat happened...

I was shooting the video for the couple and there was this man taking the photos. I went up to him, said hi, and commented that the S3 pro he was using has a good Dynamic Range for bridal shots... Immediately came his reply... swift and prompt.

Ai-ya. this camera no good wan, I normally use my phase one digital back cos I'm a professional photographer, I don't waste my time doing this kind of wedding shoot. I do big comission jobs. This wan is my sister's friend then only I'm doing. You know, I shoot for all the big hotels and I get a lot of comissioned projects? I also shoot for many local magazines.

I paused for a second... stunned by his swift and "impressive" introduction...:sticktong All I could do was smile... The rest of the entire day, I heard him tell the same story over and over and over again to anyone who talked to him... made me wonder... is it so bad taboo to do wedding photography?

I do all sorts of video and I'm proud of wat I do. Corporate or Weddings. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with shooting wedding videos or photos... It puts bread on my table and it's an honest day's work.:thumbsup:

big ego I guess. at the same time, probably trying to impress people to give him jobs. u know whether his pics turned out good?

mpenza said:
big ego I guess. at the same time, probably trying to impress people to give him jobs. u know whether his pics turned out good?
yeah man that's the main question.. photo can make it anot?

then again, even if his photos are top quality, that doesn't excuse poor PR and snobbishness... :)

mpenza said:

Frankly, the photographers I team up regulary to shoot wedding packages are way better. Either because they are dedicated to the art of wedding photography or the mentioned photographer was not using his Phase One Digital Back. :bsmilie:

haha, good move on smiling and walk away.

i'd say.."wah suddenly so windy here, why not u go fly a kite"

eadwine said:

Normally I'll tok cok with the photographer whole day but this guy so proud, everytime I go near he talk about himself... I xian jit pua... whole day keep quiet and stay away from him... :sticktong

K.N.N.

eadwine said:

good one... ;p

chey, as if got phase one only big f**k... dun need to talk like dat one mah. there are so many real pros in singapore who are happily doing big commissioned jobs with normal 35mm gear. :rolleyes:

oh yeah, OT: if i din see wrongly, tonite's Arts Central at 9pm, they are interviewing Willy Foo in "A Flair to Remember" - a real pro photog, not like this 'windbag'.

came to know someone similar too,
but he is on the software side.

says he don't use the 'lousy' CS2,
he uses ONLY C1.

as if C1 gives him better pics :confused:

jude

it takes a lot to be a good wedding day photographer.

1. you need to be sensitive to who is who and some cases ppl who dont really dont wanna take pic w who(have met cases of divorced parents who dun wanna be photo together, they wont tell you, you just have to know)...and ready to make adjustment during such instances so that both party is happy or at least looks happy to gether in the photo

2. you need to be at the right place at the right time and decide on the spot where is better.

3. you need also to know the sequence of events pretty well cos they are doing it for the 1st ( and hopefully only) time but you have done it countless time and be able to advise if neccessary.

4. you need to find the best background, lighting etc on the spot and arrangments too.

5. above all,you need to stay in control as far as photoshoot is concern, know what you are doing and be there, when you are needed...be 'invisible' when they are enjoying and yet able to capture those joyful shots...

with all the above and even more, i don think there is nothing to be ashamed of.

you know you have done well when ppl see the photos you have taken and ask you be to photographer for their wedding. NOT by what digital back you have ad which big local magazine you shoot for.

i am proud be to a wedding photographer and take pride in producing the best photos i possibly can for each shoot...both wedding and studio:) :)

True, there is a lot of difference in terms of pay when you do weddings and commisioned works. But there is no need to be arrogant and tell people how "professional" you are.

surge said:
4. you need to find the best background, lighting etc on the spot and arrangments too.

5. above all,you need to stay in control as far as photoshoot is concern, know what you are doing and be there, when you are needed...be 'invisible' when they are enjoying and yet able to capture those joyful shots...

He not at all invisible... Voice so loud... had to lower the audio recording levels of my Camera.

arampan said:
Ai-ya. this camera no good wan, I normally use my phase one digital back cos I'm a professional photographer, I don't waste my time doing this kind of wedding shoot. I do big comission jobs. This wan is my sister's friend then only I'm doing. You know, I shoot for all the big hotels and I get a lot of comissioned projects? I also shoot for many local magazines.
Hmm... wad status is his sister's friend dat made this 'professional photographer' with his phase 1 digital back turn to wedding photography with his lousy S3Pro? :think:

Lemme guess:
- His sister's friend is paying him an obsene amount for his 'Professional Photos'
- His sister's friend is also in the same line and knows his works are Pro among Pros
- His sister's friend surname is "Lee" and the guest of honour for the dinner is none other than our favourite grand-daddy who carries the same surname with 100 bodyguards and this 'Professional' sees it a chance to suck his way up?

Oh well, only he knows the answer. We can only provide assumptions :bsmilie: I had met so many taxi drivers who said that they had taken photos for the rich, famous & powerful ppl.

Having worked as a backup together with another working professional, fortunately haven't encountered windbags of this sort... Phew...

This is called "Inferiority Complex Syndrome" ..... :sweatsm:

was thinking abt it.... maybe he's just trying to make excuse for poorly taken pics..... he can't shoot weddings well and trying to "get out" of it by saying that he's good in other areas ;p

better not say too much cos the guy might be a CSer too ;p

"lousy" S3pro......:what:

got number can ask him want to give away or not leh..

Whether he is a PRO or a wedding photographer, he is still the same as all of us....
He is still called a PHOTOGRAPHER.....or better still, the man behind the camera.

mpenza said:
was thinking abt it.... maybe he's just trying to make excuse for poorly taken pics..... he can't shoot weddings well and trying to "get out" of it by saying that he's good in other areas ;p

Should be close to the actual answer..

mpenza said:

Unless he's a mod or admin with banning rights, I think such stuff which are an absolute disgrace not only to the profession but to the art as well ought to be mentioned. :think:

I think I'll die if I ever work with him again. Thank God he is so pro and don't do shoot "mere" weddings.

Status
Not open for further replies.