Proud to be a Singaporean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Ironically, Singapore is one of smallest countries as well as one of the richest countries in the world.

Have you ever realised that most of the important meetings/summits, etc in the world, our PM will be present. Even out Finance Minister Tharman is a chairman of International Monetary and Financial Committee, the policy steering committee (IMF).

Take for example, the current C20 summit held in Australia, our PM is one of the 20 country leaders presented. In fact, Singapore is the only ASEAN country presented.

What so special about Singapore? Why must Singapore be included in all these events? Bear in mind that Singapore is so small, it will not have any significant impact on the world.

The biggest answer is - Singapore is one of the top 10 richest countries in world 2014.

http://top10thebest.com/top-10-richest-countries-in-the-world/

Singapore may be small but its money can make a great difference. Remember the old saying, money makes the world go round. Who has the money on the table speaks the loudest.

Even though Singapore is a small country, it has already appeared on the international stage. The Singapore Passport is very valuable if you are not aware.

So be proud to be a Singaporean. :cool:

Last edited:
I am proud to be a Singaporean... but not because of of anything TS just wrote.

But that in my lifetime... I've seen the nation grown from kampong to city... that I get to do things my grandfather never though possible for people of humble background... that I have a roof over my head since birth... and that I've never known true hunger....

Life is a struggle... but at least there is a reward for my/our struggle. I have live more comfortably than my grandparents or my own parents... and while it will be harder for my child... at least with hard work, he could be assured the same or better. :think:

I am proud to be a Singaporean... but not because of of anything TS just wrote.

But that in my lifetime... I've seen the nation grown from kampong to city... that I get to do things my grandfather never though possible for people of humble background... that I have a roof over my head since birth... and that I've never known true hunger....

Life is a struggle... but at least there is a reward for my/our struggle. I have live more comfortably than my grandparents or my own parents... and while it will be harder for my child... at least with hard work, he could be assured the same or better. :think:

Don't get me wrong. There are many reasons to be proud to be a Singaporean. Of course, not just because we are one of the richest countries in the world.

Singapore is so successful that the world has to give it a second look.

Before I signed up to this forum I read up on Singapore a little bit. There are many surprising things about your country. Among the most religiously and culturally diverse places on Earth, religious tolerance in abundance, one of the busiest ports on Earth, 3rd highest per capita income in the world, one of the least corrupt countries on Earth, peace and order in the streets, the list goes on and on and on...makes me want to immigrate there.

Only sad thing is that island fauna is basically gone for good.

Last edited:
Before I signed up to this forum I read up on Singapore a little bit. There are many surprising things about your country. Among the most religiously and culturally diverse places on Earth, religious tolerance in abundance, one of the busiest ports on Earth, 3rd highest per capita income in the world, one of the least corrupt countries on Earth, peace and order in the streets, the list goes on and on and on...makes me want to immigrate there.

Limited landmass with a big population.... can't be help. But you'll be surprise by how much greenery is still available on this tiny red dot.... :bsmilie:

Click here to take a look... National Park Board

TS... Proud... not Pround... Spelling in title fixed.

Believe me, we have a million trees on our island. It's official.

We are not called The Garden City for nothing. And we still have natural forests, but we cannot be compared with bigger countries for the vast land and farms and ice capped mountains

We are unique in our own right

Ironically, Singapore is one of smallest countries as well as one of the richest countries in the world.

Have you ever realised that most of the important meetings/summits, etc in the world, our PM will be present. Even out Finance Minister Tharman is a chairman of International Monetary and Financial Committee, the policy steering committee (IMF).

Take for example, the current C20 summit held in Australia, our PM is one of the 20 country leaders presented. In fact, Singapore is the only ASEAN country presented.

What so special about Singapore? Why must Singapore be included in all these events? Bear in mind that Singapore is so small, it will not have any significant impact on the world.

The biggest answer is - Singapore is one of the top 10 richest countries in world 2014.

http://top10thebest.com/top-10-richest-countries-in-the-world/

Singapore may be small but its money can make a great difference. Remember the old saying, money makes the world go round. Who has the money on the table speaks the loudest.

Even though Singapore is a small country, it has already appeared on the international stage. The Singapore Passport is very valuable if you are not aware.

So be proud to be a Singaporean. :cool:

SG is number 4 for Most Government Debt per person. That is how we achieve this status.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst//most-government-debt-per-person-countries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG1DUn8mMwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQdmsL147j0

Last edited:
Some guys benefit from the new economy.
Some guys don't.
So those who do, are pretty rosy about it.
Those who don't, its an erosion of their already small income (that does not get adjusted with this shift in gear of the economy).
Not to mention loss of natural environment and personal space. (perhaps even identify)

Whenever people sang praise. ..there will be other who bash....Welcome to Singapore :)

Just trying to top some people from growing a big head :bsmilie:

When the economic crash, these people will have most of the debt :bsmilie:

Would you rather live in one of the top ten countries on that list or the bottom ten?

Singapore has some of the lowest tax rates anywhere and is real favorable to offshore money and earnings also perhaps this is partly why SP has that indicator.

Last edited:
It's very fortunate to be a Singaporean. Though those trs or Roy will sure disagree

Reactions: kei1309

that's because our ministers and government and the stat boards are highly paid. and can also take into consideration the CPF which they owe us.

as for other countries, it might mean the tax. but not forgetting, other countries might have higher government debt due to a larger, more complex government due to more counties, precincts, states etc. these countries don't have CPF like we do, and perhaps the amount owing is in the form of social welfare's unemployment and pension schemes.

taken from Wikipedia which explains government debt. this is an excerpt:

"As the government draws its income from much of the population, government debt is an indirect debt of the taxpayers. Government debt can be categorized as internal debt (owed to lenders within the country) and external debt (owed to foreign lenders). Sovereign debt usually refers to government debt that has been issued in a foreign currency. Another common division of government debt is by duration until repayment is due. Short term debt is generally considered to be for one year or less, long term is for more than ten years. Medium term debt falls between these two boundaries. A broader definition of government debt may consider all government liabilities, including future pension payments and payments for goods and services the government has contracted but not yet paid."

Hahaha... nothing new... Sinkies Pwn Sinkies is a National Sport.... :bsmilie:

There will always be the nays and the yays cannot make everyone happy....still I love my tiny red dot
of an island and damn proud to be it's inhabitant period :)

Would you rather live in one of the top ten countries on that list or the bottom ten?

Singapore has some of the lowest tax rates anywhere and is real favorable to offshore money and earnings also perhaps this is partly why SP has that indicator.

Low tax rate is a myth :(

If you look at other countries high income tax rate,you may be surprise that those high income tax rate include pension, health insurance and garbage collection.

In SG, these money are collected separately as CPF, Medisave and Service and conservancy charges.

SG just took it out from income tax and call it a different name to fool everyone :)

COE and stamp duty are also a form of tax :(

Last edited:
Low tax rate is a myth :(

If you look at other countries high income tax rate,you may be surprise that those high income tax rate include pension, health insurance and garbage collection.

In SG, these money are collected separately as CPF, Medisave and Service and conservancy charges.

SG just took it out from income tax and call it a different name to fool everyone :)
Well...money has to come from somewhere what. Either they collect more taxes, or split them up like what SG does, or print more money and inflate anything. Either way, the net result is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.