Proud onwer of a Canon Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

yocoolboy

Mar 9, 2004
Yeps... Just bought my first branded camera - The Canon Powershop A310 (yar... the cheapest one, but costed me quite a bomb as i'm a student.) The pictures were excellent, but I noticed that it is rather grainy when I preview it at full size (3.1MP) on the computer. Never use e digital zoom. Is this normal?

Please advise thanks. :bigeyes:

What ISO are you shooting at? Can use software to remove the noise.

try stick to iso 100. maybe u can post a 400x600pixel sample for us to see.

welcome to kwanon :)

clive said:
try stick to iso 100. maybe u can post a 400x600pixel sample for us to see.

welcome to kwanon :)

thanks for the warm welcome. below is a pic i took using AUTO ISO, HIGHEST QUALITY, 800X600 size. You can see from below that it looks a little grainy, and they are horizontal "lines". Please advise thanks.
IMG%5F0104.JPG

mmm...paiseh but my monitor is very low-res and i cant seem to spot anything bad about the pic...i think must wait for the more advanced pple to give a more detailed diagnosis. gotto be patient...meanwhile, on the cam, just try to stick to the "best quality" or "next best quality" settings...then, post processing is another thing. editing of jpegs is something im still experimenting wif. but most impt is have fun =)

picture looks fine on my computer too. it's not grainy at all if you compare that to a film scan, and there is hardly any noise in the dark areas.

haha... okay... then maybe is my computer.... the mointor no good.. hmm thanks a lot guys...

Grain is usually most noticeable in dark/black ares where spots of different colours appear randomly but all over the dark areas. This is usually noticeable in P&S digicams with tiny CCDs usually 7x5mm at higher ISOs.

The picture looks fine by P&S standards. Usually grain/noise does not appear in horizontal lines.

headlesschook said:
picture looks fine on my computer too. it's not grainy at all if you compare that to a film scan, and there is hardly any noise in the dark areas.

Huh?! Film scan is grainy? What are u referring to??? :dunno:

film scans of negatives are usually a lot more grainy than a low iso digital shot. I'm just saying that some people worry too much abt digital noise when most films (not talking abt professional negs and slides) have a lot more grain (analog equivalent).

i see.. thanks everyone for ur kind help... i juz love my cam more and more... haha thanks everyone!

yocoolboy, dont worry about the exposures so much, or the banding problem you seem to have picked up. it's probably only visible at worst, when you view the image at 100% zoom... ;)

oh dear, I can't see any grain on my lcd monitor in the office, and I've just bought a phillips lcd monitor for the home and plan to sell my crt monitor.. I hope that wasn't a bad move (ie: inability to see grain.)

sehsuan said:
yocoolboy, dont worry about the exposures so much, or the banding problem you seem to have picked up. it's probably only visible at worst, when you view the image at 100% zoom... ;)
oh okay... thanks a lot yea!!! haha

Hi yocoolboy....same here I cannot see anything wrong with the pics on my lcd.

hmmm as a newbie, i guess i define "grains" and bad quality image different. guess my Canon Powershot A310 is not that bad as I thought :) at least better than then BenX. That one is tyco... dust can even enter LCD screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.