Protective Filters?

I stopped using UV filters long time ago. Technically pointless (sensors do not show the same UV sensitivity as films, lens element coatings filter UV), questionable function as protector (a hard knock in the ring will give you a real headache) and horribly overpriced for a piece of glass.
Use a lens hood, be careful, done.

No real favourite, as long as it stops my friends from getting their fingerprints over the actual lens and dust from getting in between, it's a good filter.

Side note: Raydawn and Tokina filters are alright, not so good when shooting into the light though. Hoya's a good one, and relatively affordable.

anyone using Sigma WR ceramic protector?

[video=youtube;ax9NU8lbvYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax9NU8lbvYQ[/video]

Depends how you use the lens, for play or for work.

The front element is actually pretty hardy and can take a beating, even if you scratch it, photos won't show difference, but most of you wanna sell the lens after the fun is over, so maybe you wanna protect it.

Some environmental conditions is also good to have a filter on, ie oil and water spraying into your lens, hairspray, colored powder, firework sparks, saliva and slime, volcanic ash, etc, etc.

Use common sense.

No real favourite, as long as it stops my friends from getting their fingerprints over the actual lens and dust from getting in between, it's a good filter.

Side note: Raydawn and Tokina filters are alright, not so good when shooting into the light though. Hoya's a good one, and relatively affordable.

Same on the fingerprints issue. Sometime they will fingerprints on the front lens element (of mirrorless/compact/DSLR camera, even hp) even after telling them careful of it. Especially when they are looking at the picture on the camera.
Use normal Hoya on some of my lenses. Feel B+W now kind of overprice. Trying out Nisi protective filter on the Sony 16-50mm kit lens.