Protective filter for canon 50mm f1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
hey guys
just bought the famous canon ef 50mm f1.8 lens, my second lens.. and im wondering if i should use a protective filter on it.. for my other lens, i have a B+W protective filter, but that cost $80.. not worth for a $120 lens, right.. so is it better to put a cheaper filter (of lower quality) or just shoot without protective filter?

also, on a side note.. the 50mm lens is a good portrait lens, right? coz i guess im used to shooting portraits with PNS cameras, and i found it a bit strange with this lens, coz i had to step back quite a lot to get a decent frame of the person i was photographing..

The front element is quite recessed compared to other lenses, the lens barrel forming already a small lens hood. No points having a filter (regardless which brand or price). The distance will invite filter flare as well.
Regarding perspective: you have a 50mm lens on a cropped sensor body, that gives a field of view of 80mm. Compare with your PnS (check for the "35mm equivalent focal length" number) and you'll know why you need to step back.

thanks for the reply. i guess i definitely wont be getting a protective filter for the 50mm lens then :)
yeah, i know why i have to step back, when using the 50mm lens, but im wondering.. the 50mm is commonly used for portraits? just wondering if having to step back could be inconvenient sometimes.. trying to gather knowledge bout this kinda stuff before im put into a situation :D
thanks!

thanks for the reply. i guess i definitely wont be getting a protective filter for the 50mm lens then :)
yeah, i know why i have to step back, when using the 50mm lens, but im wondering.. the 50mm is commonly used for portraits? just wondering if having to step back could be inconvenient sometimes.. trying to gather knowledge bout this kinda stuff before im put into a situation :D
thanks!

50mm effective on FF body, if on cropped body, have to take into consideration of 1.6x crop factor, which explains why you have to step back ;p

thanks, but again, i know why i need to step back, but im just curious if its a practical lens to use for portraits, with a crop sensor.. looking for comments from guys who've used this lens for portraits - have u found any time when it was hard to get good composition for a portrait using this lens? cheers

i do encounter that often
stand to near unable to focus, switch to MF also can't so have to step backward..
i think maybe use a extension tube may help?

For portraits (and that's what the lens is recommended for) you are too close for minimum focusing distance? What exactly are you doing there? For a decent head portrait you will not run into the MFD with a 50mm lens. Close-up and macro is something different.

yeah, my problem wasnt exactly being too close to focus, but instead being too close to frame my subject the way i wanted.. i guess, being used to PNS field of view (and my kit lens wide angle view) i was trying to frame too much of the person i.e. like a full body shot, which im now realizing is rather hard on a 50mm on a crop sensor..

Ah the 50mm shoots at a single focal length, while your pns has zoom capability... Maybe comparing the focal range of your kit lens and pns would be more appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.