Protecting your equipment on your travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
In the absence of a dry cabinet on long trips... say more than 3-4 weeks at a stretch, how do you guys protect your gear? Bring lots of thirsty hippos and silica gel? :dunno:

Just seeking some enlightenment as I would be on a pretty long assignment.

Yatlapball said:
In the absence of a dry cabinet on long trips... say more than 3-4 weeks at a stretch, how do you guys protect your gear? Bring lots of thirsty hippos and silica gel? :dunno:

Just seeking some enlightenment as I would be on a pretty long assignment.

Where are you heading for? :)

Indonesia. Will be there for quite a while actually.

And I'm actually not so sure if I can locate a camera shop easily to maybe purchase a dry cabi in the first couple of weeks. So i thought some of the more experienced travellers could help me out here :p

Yatlapball said:
Indonesia. Will be there for quite a while actually.

And I'm actually not so sure if I can locate a camera shop easily to maybe purchase a dry cabi in the first couple of weeks. So i thought some of the more experienced travellers could help me out here :p
Which city? If Jakarta, look at 'Pasar Baru'. Last time (+6 years ago :sweat: ) there is a building in 'Pasar Baru' selling photography gears (new and used one), something like Peninsula Plaza and The Adelphi in Singapore.

Regards,
Arto.

Yatlapball said:
Will be in Jogja... Not sure if I can make the travel down to JKT in the initial period.
Jogjakarta, I don't know about the photography market there. It is overnight by bus to Jakarta, about one hour by plane.

But if you stay at hotel, the air-cond in hotel 24/7 will keep the humidity low, thus act like a big drycab in hotel room.

BTW, a lot of interesting site to take photos there. Don't worry to much about fungus will grow while you are traveling. Worry about how much photos you can take.

Regards,
Arto.

iwouldnt worry about fungus if i were you. it's only a month. and besides, you'll be using your camera periodically. just go and enjoy urself :)

hmmmm .... i think constant use in sunlight will kill the fungus.

Try a few large Ziplock-type bags with packs of silica gel..
or air-tight plastic containers (ala Tupperware types) with silica gel..
Should be enuff to hold-off moisture for 1 month or so..

[personally, i used air-tight box to store my cam for 2 yrs before getting dry box..
just change silica gel regularly, not much problem there..]

Think i posted this in travel forum once...

just my say.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.