Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
Hey people.

I will be going for an overseas exercise next January in NZ with my camera. I'm appointed as the photographer there. What I need to know is what steps do I have to take to protect the camera in these kind of condition.

The exercise ground is on those kind of hilly terrains with grasslands and barren land. I'll be attached to a vehicle and there will be lots of movement, which will mean alot of dust and sand flying around from the loose sand. Plus as it's my first time bringing my camera equipment overseas, I don't really know about how I should carry it through the flight.

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advanced.

No photographs allowed in operational military exercises.

ricohflex said:
No photographs allowed in operational military exercises.

He already said he's been appointed as photographer. So obviously there is an approval coming from somewhere.

Ask them for a 1Ds body with L lens. Why need to use your own camera?

Ziploc bag and black tape. Place the camera in the bag and tape it up, works pretty well for very little money. Unless you're planning on doing river crossings and such that set up should be fairly sufficient.

Back in my unit the photographers had Nikon D40s to D90s and a Sony A850. As far as I remembered, they didn't really do much in terms of protection, and the cameras all survived.

When I was the designated photographer all I used was a 3-4 year old Casio compact camera. Worked pretty well for the job at hand, plus it being small and compact was a huge bonus when you've got other things to carry.

Ask them for a 1Ds body with L lens. Why need to use your own camera?

I'm using my 60D for convenience. Usually the camera they provide are not in great condition. And I'm used to my camera.

Ziploc bag and black tape. Place the camera in the bag and tape it up, works pretty well for very little money. Unless you're planning on doing river crossings and such that set up should be fairly sufficient.

Back in my unit the photographers had Nikon D40s to D90s and a Sony A850. As far as I remembered, they didn't really do much in terms of protection, and the cameras all survived.

When I was the designated photographer all I used was a 3-4 year old Casio compact camera. Worked pretty well for the job at hand, plus it being small and compact was a huge bonus when you've got other things to carry.

Hmm I should try that.

What do you guys think of gaffer taping the whole camera? or, i have seen a silicon case that cover the whole camera.

I presume you are going Waiouru camp. The place is not as dusty as you think. Just keep your batteries warm when you are in the field. Hand carry your camera gear for the flight there and don't check it in. You can consider bringing a tripod for shooting landscape/sunset/sunrise.

I presume you are going Waiouru camp. The place is not as dusty as you think. Just keep your batteries warm when you are in the field. Hand carry your camera gear for the flight there and don't check it in. You can consider bringing a tripod for shooting landscape/sunset/sunrise.

Yes I am going there. Not as dusty? Even out in the field?

Yes I am going there. Not as dusty? Even out in the field?

Nope. I shoot out of moving vehicle and in the field when I was there for TW. I changed lens in the vehicle though, the wind is strong there and change directions all the time. Ask to go along when the drivers go for orientation drive, plenty of shooting opportunity and they go places where you might not be going during the exercise itself.

as long u dont dropped, it will do fine.

just curious... why do you want to use your own camera? Will they compensate you if something bad happen to your camera?

Don't worry about the sand, it won't get into your sensor. Worry about the little tiny rocks flying at you 30mph.

Get a couple of cheap UV filters to protect your lens. Get a comfortable combat glove and you're good to go.

Bring cleaning kits as well because after your road trip, your camera will be quite dirty so you gotta maintain everyday.

just curious... why do you want to use your own camera? Will they compensate you if something bad happen to your camera?

Actually I volunteered to do the shooting, and also want to get the experience using my camera in these type of environment.

Don't worry about the sand, it won't get into your sensor. Worry about the little tiny rocks flying at you 30mph.

Get a couple of cheap UV filters to protect your lens. Get a comfortable combat glove and you're good to go.

Bring cleaning kits as well because after your road trip, your camera will be quite dirty so you gotta maintain everyday.

It won't? That's my main concern. Cus I've things like "dust can go in your censor through the built-in flash". Rocks should not be a worry since I'll be driving an aircon vehicle, so can shoot from inside.

And good advice, almost forgot regarding cleaning kit. Will be out in the field for a week straight!

Nope. I shoot out of moving vehicle and in the field when I was there for TW. I changed lens in the vehicle though, the wind is strong there and change directions all the time. Ask to go along when the drivers go for orientation drive, plenty of shooting opportunity and they go places where you might not be going during the exercise itself.

Ahh, wouldn't have to worry about that since I'm the driver myself and going for the orientation.

Still trying to find the silicon body wrap, which I saw previously. Much the silicon case for handphones.

ahmad0420 said:
It won't? That's my main concern. Cus I've things like "dust can go in your censor through the built-in flash". Rocks should not be a worry since I'llI'll be driving an aircon vehicle, so can shoot from inside.

As long as you don't open your lens, dust won't get inside. Gaffering it or seal your camera with plastic or silicon won't help as there will be gaps no matter the design

60D is weather sealed right? So generally no issue with the dust and rain.
At most wash camera under tap once in camp (for WS camera+lens).
That saying, I'd try not to use the camera during maneuvers to avoid too much dust on the camera in the first place.
I presume you are familiar with Area-D type conditions when an armor column moves out, that coats the whole vehicle and everywhere with dust.
Since its a "SAF exploitation" thing, no point risking own equipment over it.
Just use the camera when at halt, or when you really think its not at too much risk of being dirtied.

Other than using it cautiously;
1. Use a filter (you will get dust on lens and with a cheap filter, you can just wipe away with a worry and continue shooting)
2. Bring a cleaning kit
3. Bring a few ZipLoc bags that can hold your camera. (will always come in handy).
4. If your camera is not WS; then improvise with clear plastic bag with hole cut for your lens and seal up the openings with tape or rubber band. (remember not to put it at great risk of getting very dirty if its not a WS camera; no point to do so for SAF).
5. More spare batteries. They deplete faster in the cold.
6. Bring a couple of trash bags as well. Can be for anything. (cover camera bag from elements; cover camera; etc).

Gd luck and enjoy :)

Last edited:
Still trying to find the silicon body wrap, which I saw previously. Much the silicon case for handphones.

The silicone case do not protect against dust or water well. The vulnerable areas are all open.

Your mid-range camera is sufficiently well sealed enough to handle dusty conditions.

I doubt you will see much dust and sand on your camera, but I don't think it will malfunction. If you're worried about marks from the sand, etc, then you can gaffer it up temporarily during the exercise.

One point to take note is that you should try to avoid changing lens in such conditions. If you must, then suggest to bring a trash bag to change the lens in, or something similar to minimize the chances of sand entering the cavity of the body.

How you should carry it through the flight? You just bring a camera bag that is compatible with any carry-on baggage guidelines (if they apply). That's about it.

buy a waterproof case .... it does protect your camera from sand, rocks or grits

My 2 cents worth
Carry a soft brush to dust off the fine sand and dirt.

Paste a piece of double sided tape on front n rear cover to attract fine dust n sand.

A few ntuc typed plastic bags comes in handy.

Use lens hood. They are great against flying stuff coming in from the side.

Dun waste $ on the silicon camera armor. I had one. Dun really protect the camera.