Prosumers or DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In summary,

Lousy digital camera with Bad photographer = Crappy photos (those trying to take photos at low light situation using P&S/Prosumer cameras with fast shutter speed and high ISO included)
Lousy digital camera with Good photographer = Nice photos for your desktop wallpaper
Good digital camera with Bad photographer = Crappy photos that takes up 15mb of your card
Good digital camera with Good photographer = Nice photos for prints up to A4 size
Good camera with Good photographer = Nice photos that you can print as your wallpaper (for your wall, not your desktop)

Just for laughs.

very simple... howmuch do u really wanna spend???:dunno:

dont buy a DSLR when u r not really gonna use it as much as u tot u would...

stprmit said:
It is depend on the Photographer Itself !!!
I have seen a photographer shooting with the Old Coolpix 5700
the image quality itself is as good as High End DSLR i.e. D2X
I could not even tell the difference !!!

So, It is depend on the Photografer Itself
Equipment Gear will just make your shoot easier & Faster
Also more Convenient !!!
Normally you only use DSLR for a very tough & demanding photoshoot assigment :D

Do note that a lot of images you see are scaled down versions of the originals. A lot of the finer detail has been lost. The true quality of an image shows when its zoomed to 100%. Pictures taken with high quality equipment retain a high degree of sharpness and clarity. Others then to pixelate when zoomed.

It isn't fair to compare images that have been scaled down. Even handphone pictures look sharp if you don't zoom in.

However good product reviewers are well aware of this, and make it a point to show you the 100% crops to give a fair assessment. As Clockunder has mentioned, let the results speak for themselves.

I feel that if a person has to ask such a question, then he should go for the prosumer first as he usually will not appreciate the differences between the two. It is usually the photographer who has been limited by the prosumer and finally decides to upgrade to a DSLR, who appreciates and gets the most out of the new gear. Just my 1 cent worth.

it the prices of the prosumer does not make a big gap with dslr then take the dslr who know maybe you got stuck with the beauty of photograhy so you can go far with a dslr, wat happen if you do not like it then still can use as a normal prosumer most of the present dslr also come with easy prosumer function. Worst sell it off in CS and get a prosumer or P&S. Think over it do not make silly decision, once make do not get regret over it.

lwt11137 said:
it the prices of the prosumer does not make a big gap with dslr then take the dslr who know maybe you got stuck with the beauty of photograhy so you can go far with a dslr, wat happen if you do not like it then still can use as a normal prosumer most of the present dslr also come with easy prosumer function. Worst sell it off in CS and get a prosumer or P&S. Think over it do not make silly decision, once make do not get regret over it.

Thats happened to me just last month, bought a prosumer DC, but after played around 1-2 weeks and found either the image quality and manual setting not my expectation, so sold it and rugi aroud $125 within 1 month. End up i bought 350D, and i am very satysfy with its image quality even just w/kit lens. (of course after some PP/thats the must if for DSLR i think)

Cheers,
Caofei

benedium said:
It really is more about the vision you have in your head than the camera in your hand...
see this link and be blown away by these pictures taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5700
http://www.photo.net/photos/Ilona%20Wellmann
yes, totally agree with you but i think certain shoot still unable to achieve without a Dslr and proper accessories. So i think is still up to the end user to decide for himself or herself as the outcome of the acceptablity he or she must bear with.

benedium said:
It really is more about the vision you have in your head than the camera in your hand...
see this link and be blown away by these pictures taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5700
http://www.photo.net/photos/Ilona Wellmann

Looks like very vision and very good PS/DI artist skill needed too. :)

benedium said:
http://www.photo.net/photos/Ilona%20Wellmann

As I've pointed out earlier, there are situations which the Nikon Coolpix 5700 can make it and the good pictures which you see are those that make it but you haven't seen those that can't make it because of the light conditions.

That also partly explains why different cameras have been used for the pictures in the website you've pointed out. Otherwise, there wasn't any need for him to use cameras other than the 5700. :)

In terms of picture quality (the question asked by threadstarter), a DSLR is definitely better and that is why we keep seeing many prosumer camera users selling their cameras to upgrade to an entry level DSLRs in the buy and sell section.

This is the kind of noise you would get at ISO 400 for a prosumer camera like Canon S2 IS : (My Nikon Coolpix 5700 is slightly better in this area) .

http://members.vr-zone.com.sg/~buaya/S2IS_Review/images/gallery/ISO 400/Gallery1.htm

http://members.vr-zone.com.sg/~buaya/S2IS_Review/index.htm

Try using a prosumer camera at those singer autograph sessions indoor and you would find that you can't get proper exposure if you want to prevent blur (shutter speed must be at least 1/125, movement blur as well as 1/focal length minimum shutter speed) as you shoot from far away even if you use the highest ISO (usually 400 or 800) and widest aperture (usually F/2.8).

Under reasonable light conditions, a prosumer camera can produce reasonably good picture quality :

(pictures by a prosumer camera found at another forum) : http://forums.photoi.org/showthread.php?t=1192637

flower.jpg

pond6xz.jpg

thx for all the comments, both positives and negatives! i really appreciate the time spent in ur replies :)

after doing more research and reading the above comments, i have decided to go with prosumers.

currently looking at fujifilm Finepix S9500 (or S9000 Z) and panasonic DMC-FZ30
althought i prefer the S9500 memory (CF) and battery (AA) type, there seems to be some complains to the pic quality produced. For example, colors produced are "soft", high noise level, and pictures arnt sharp. is it really true?

and what about the FZ30? heard tat pics are noisy at low ISO levels too..

hoping for some replies from ppl who owns the above cameras :)

Status
Not open for further replies.